863 crank seal leak=how to?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

imfixinmopars

i have noticed that the LH crank seal is seeping,and was wondering how much of a job is it to replace? its the side w/ the large belt drive,and i was wondering about releasing the tensioner on the belt,and removing the pulley,whats in volved? thanks!!

OP
OP
I

imfixinmopars

i removed the panel and see thats its the pump,driven thats leaking,whats the repair situation on this,NOT THE CRANK SEAL,SORRY

skidsteer.ca

i removed the panel and see thats its the pump,driven thats leaking,whats the repair situation on this,NOT THE CRANK SEAL,SORRY
For eithr seal I would think your looking at pulling the motor and pump assembly from the loader. You would have to get the pulley off the pump and disconect the pump from the belt housing and remove it from the loader (under the cab) to change the seal with the motor in.
All things considered it is likely easier to pull the engine and pump together. You will need some sort of puller to get the pulley off the pump shaft too. Also would be a good time to check the pump bearings just incase that is why the seal went.
Ken

OP
OP
I

imfixinmopars

For eithr seal I would think your looking at pulling the motor and pump assembly from the loader. You would have to get the pulley off the pump and disconect the pump from the belt housing and remove it from the loader (under the cab) to change the seal with the motor in.
All things considered it is likely easier to pull the engine and pump together. You will need some sort of puller to get the pulley off the pump shaft too. Also would be a good time to check the pump bearings just incase that is why the seal went.
Ken
you will have to forgive my ignorance on these,im new to the skid steer repairing,the leak looks like its right behind the driven pulley on the LH side.it seeps down the cradle mount,and towards the engine.im sure there is naother leak on the other side,but i cant seee where.how many hours is the job of pulling the engine? any special tools involved in this job? it looks like a tight job,thanks,mike

Tazza

Staff member
you will have to forgive my ignorance on these,im new to the skid steer repairing,the leak looks like its right behind the driven pulley on the LH side.it seeps down the cradle mount,and towards the engine.im sure there is naother leak on the other side,but i cant seee where.how many hours is the job of pulling the engine? any special tools involved in this job? it looks like a tight job,thanks,mike
If you haven't worked on a machine like this before i'd work on a day to get it done. Remove all wiring and hoses to the engine. Un-do the engine mounts. Remove the 6 or so hoses to the pump and plug the lines, remove linkages and pull the engine.
Like Ken said, you need to pull the pulley off the pump, this NEEDS a puller and hammer, its locked in with a taper and can be quite hard to get free. Put tension on it with the puller then strike the screw of the puller with a hammer till it shocks free. Then you need to put the pump down to check bearings just to be sure. I think you can change the seal without pulling the pump down but i'd still check for play. Even if you feel if the shaft *wiggles* from side to side.

tsanders

If you haven't worked on a machine like this before i'd work on a day to get it done. Remove all wiring and hoses to the engine. Un-do the engine mounts. Remove the 6 or so hoses to the pump and plug the lines, remove linkages and pull the engine.
Like Ken said, you need to pull the pulley off the pump, this NEEDS a puller and hammer, its locked in with a taper and can be quite hard to get free. Put tension on it with the puller then strike the screw of the puller with a hammer till it shocks free. Then you need to put the pump down to check bearings just to be sure. I think you can change the seal without pulling the pump down but i'd still check for play. Even if you feel if the shaft *wiggles* from side to side.
be sure and mark all your hoses with tape or paint so they go back correctly. dont let this job scare you because there are a lot of good people here that will help you get the job done.