7753 rocker switch?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Onfoot

It's been a while since hitting the forum, but I have been having lots of fun and learning a great deal as I put my old 7753 through its paces clearing snow and generally helping with property tasks on the homestead. But the other night the thumb rocker switch on the RH steering lever fell out--of course when I was halfway done with the snow clearing. I found the button and after letting it warm up over night in the shop, was able to get it working again, held together with duct tape, bailing wire, and Goop glue. I think it might even get me through the winter... But my question: Is it possible to replace the rocker switch without replacing the entire steering lever? I.e., can the top of the handle be dismantled and the switch parts accessed? If not, is there a source for a salvaged steering lever? It seems a shame to replace the entire lever when it is only the rocker switch that is broken... As always, grateful for the wisdom in the vintage Bob Cat community... Keeping warm in the Yukon, Barrett

jerry

Good grief Barret you look froze. Do you have the cab enclosed? If not, on mine I get clear heavy vinyl from Wal-Mart in the fabric section for the sides and a home made door. That with a old heater core plumbed from the engine makes it livable. Use gorilla tape on the side vinyl and it is good for a few years.

OP
OP
Onfoot

Onfoot

Good grief Barret you look froze. Do you have the cab enclosed? If not, on mine I get clear heavy vinyl from Wal-Mart in the fabric section for the sides and a home made door. That with a old heater core plumbed from the engine makes it livable. Use gorilla tape on the side vinyl and it is good for a few years.
Appreciate your concern, Jerry! But I was fine. The only suffering has been my hands, which are quite sensitive to the cold since a bit of frostbite some years ago. But I just ordered some electrically heated glove liners which should be here any day. I have thought about enclosing and heating the cab, but I don't want to lose any visibility (steaming up, frosting up, covered with snow on the outside) and, more seriously to me, I am needing inevitably to be getting in and out of the cab for one reason or another, and I prefer to dress for the conditions rather than choose between being too hot in the cab or too cold outside. My son took the picture, being impressed by my growing eyebrow-cicles. But I was warm enough, except for my fingers...

antfarmer2

Appreciate your concern, Jerry! But I was fine. The only suffering has been my hands, which are quite sensitive to the cold since a bit of frostbite some years ago. But I just ordered some electrically heated glove liners which should be here any day. I have thought about enclosing and heating the cab, but I don't want to lose any visibility (steaming up, frosting up, covered with snow on the outside) and, more seriously to me, I am needing inevitably to be getting in and out of the cab for one reason or another, and I prefer to dress for the conditions rather than choose between being too hot in the cab or too cold outside. My son took the picture, being impressed by my growing eyebrow-cicles. But I was warm enough, except for my fingers...
Have looked at loaderpartsourse

jerry

Source........might have to call them
vinyl on the sides stops the wind and a crude plexi door keeps the big chunks of snow off your lap when piling. Never have had frost trouble because it has so many gaps and our summers are seldom hot enough to take the sides off the cab. The kids think you are having fun because you are smiling but really its just gritting your teeth sometimes.

OP
OP
Onfoot

Onfoot

Source........might have to call them
Thanks, Antfarmer. Gave them a call, but they only deal with drive and hydraulic parts, apparently. However, I was able to find a local source for a steering lever handle that includes the switch--so all is good. And price was not too bad--considering I am in the Yukon. Thanks for your suggestion!

antfarmer2

Thanks, Antfarmer. Gave them a call, but they only deal with drive and hydraulic parts, apparently. However, I was able to find a local source for a steering lever handle that includes the switch--so all is good. And price was not too bad--considering I am in the Yukon. Thanks for your suggestion!
Great I feel better now it was below freezing here this morning in Texas bet it is a bit cooler up there lol

OP
OP
Onfoot

Onfoot

Great I feel better now it was below freezing here this morning in Texas bet it is a bit cooler up there lol
It's all relative, Antfarmer! And to Jerry-- I can relate to the gritted teeth--though more often it genuinely is a smile. And given that I use a blade rather than a bucket, my piling consists of pushing piles to greater and greater heights, so not too much falling back into the cab. But it might be worthwhile to keep the windchill in check. Plowing at -30C (-22F) with even the slight breeze from moving the Bobcat can add a fair bit to the chill! So may be worthwhile, even without the heater. Will have to give it a try. And will let you know how my heated glove liners prove out.

Tazza

Staff member
It's all relative, Antfarmer! And to Jerry-- I can relate to the gritted teeth--though more often it genuinely is a smile. And given that I use a blade rather than a bucket, my piling consists of pushing piles to greater and greater heights, so not too much falling back into the cab. But it might be worthwhile to keep the windchill in check. Plowing at -30C (-22F) with even the slight breeze from moving the Bobcat can add a fair bit to the chill! So may be worthwhile, even without the heater. Will have to give it a try. And will let you know how my heated glove liners prove out.
There is a guy on ebay called all skid steers or something like that, they handle all sorts and i believe hand controls are one of them. Have a scratch around ebay, see if you can find them.

OP
OP
Onfoot

Onfoot

There is a guy on ebay called all skid steers or something like that, they handle all sorts and i believe hand controls are one of them. Have a scratch around ebay, see if you can find them.
Thanks, Tazza. Much appreciated! And Happy New Year to you!

reaperman

Onfoot, misery loves company. Your not the only one who plows without a cab, I'm right alongside of you. And this winter is showing us here in Minn who the boss is. My driveway at least 1/4 mile long plus around the bldgs and stuff. Not to mention the neighbor ladies place who also has a pretty long driveway too. I feel the bite when I get finished. This winter im doing a guy a favor and told him I'd help him plow commercially. Its just the two of us, he rents a cat loader and cat skidloader for the winter to do the work. I really dont like cat skidloaders, but I will say this 2014 model is like a cadillac. Naturally, it has a cab, am/fm, bluetooth, the heater works awesome, it even has a heated seat! And believe it or not it has a large backup camera monitor. Every time you go in reverse, the camera automatically comes on, or push a button and it will stay on continuously. When I finish plowing for him, I come home and start my plowing without a cab, heated seat, radio etc. Somethings just missing? Best of luck finding the parts you need, happy new year!

OP
OP
Onfoot

Onfoot

Onfoot, misery loves company. Your not the only one who plows without a cab, I'm right alongside of you. And this winter is showing us here in Minn who the boss is. My driveway at least 1/4 mile long plus around the bldgs and stuff. Not to mention the neighbor ladies place who also has a pretty long driveway too. I feel the bite when I get finished. This winter im doing a guy a favor and told him I'd help him plow commercially. Its just the two of us, he rents a cat loader and cat skidloader for the winter to do the work. I really dont like cat skidloaders, but I will say this 2014 model is like a cadillac. Naturally, it has a cab, am/fm, bluetooth, the heater works awesome, it even has a heated seat! And believe it or not it has a large backup camera monitor. Every time you go in reverse, the camera automatically comes on, or push a button and it will stay on continuously. When I finish plowing for him, I come home and start my plowing without a cab, heated seat, radio etc. Somethings just missing? Best of luck finding the parts you need, happy new year!
No doubt about it, Reaperman, winter is always the boss! Take her for granted or presume you have the upper hand and she will soon show you the error of your ways! Just sitting down and enjoying a beer after 6 hours of working on my driveway. We have (for us) record amounts of snow so far this winter and I needed to push all the snowbanks back--8' at a time, up and back for a mile and a half of driveway. But it was warmer today, all the way up to 24F--so almost toasty. Not sure what I would do with the all the bells and whistles you are enjoying the new Cat skidsteer. Sounds a bit decadent! :) With my old 7753 I am happy enough when nothing breaks!