773 G Intermittant temp guage problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

My 773 tends to shows a hot condition on the guage (Ir temp gun shows block temp @ 190 to 195 at thermostat housing, normal in my opinion)
Usually has to have run a hour plus before this starts. Then the guage will cycle from normal to the red and back and forth. Sets off the warning chime and sometimes shuts the engine down. Have replaced the temp sendor and t stat. No difference. Never boils over.
Local teck told me to try di electric ? grease on the computer wire connections down by operators left foot.
Now I also noticed that the hour meter is running slow 2 to 4 tenths per hour like what ever switch that activates it is going south. I'm going to add a std Hobbs meter to try and verify this.
Any thoughts
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
You have done exactly what i would have done.
As for di-electric paste, i can't see that doing anything. As the sender gets hotter the resistance gets lower moving the needle further. If the connection was bad it would be reading low temperature.....
Could it be a problem with your sender wire touching ground? it may have worn through.
If it goes into the red it sounds like a short.
Good luck with thi ken, i'm sure you'll find it.

goodtech

You have done exactly what i would have done.
As for di-electric paste, i can't see that doing anything. As the sender gets hotter the resistance gets lower moving the needle further. If the connection was bad it would be reading low temperature.....
Could it be a problem with your sender wire touching ground? it may have worn through.
If it goes into the red it sounds like a short.
Good luck with thi ken, i'm sure you'll find it.
This problem sounds like you have a bad ground, This is a common problem in this machines and you will chase your tail. Take all your grounds and clean them up.

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

This problem sounds like you have a bad ground, This is a common problem in this machines and you will chase your tail. Take all your grounds and clean them up.
Where all should I look for ground wires? The strange parts is it only seems to do it after it has run for 1 to 2 hours or more. If it was a worn wire it shold do it any time.
Had a 93 753 with boss guages. A loose screw in computer resulted in bad ground and sent all kinds of jiberish codes up onto the display. Fix was simple, finding it was a bi*ch. Starting to wish I had stayed away from this computerized stuff.
Ken

Latest posts