773 alternator

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Chandler

Would like to know how many amps my alternator is supposed to put out. My battery runs down after I use the loader for about 3 weeks. I think the alternator maybe getting weak or possibly something is slowly draining it down. I plan to get the alternator checked and if I need to replace it what amp alternator would I need? The only thing I have added is a backup camera to the loader and I turn it off after I shut the machine down.

skidsteer.ca

I believe the Korean Mondo alt is 55 amps. That should be plenty on amps. Check you voltage and see if its running 14.4 to 14.5
I had the main power wire break on mine and had to solder a new ring terminal on. Is you battery warning light on?
Also a bad diode can cause the alternator to put out lower amperage and draw current back from the battery when the engine is off.
If it is in fact a dead alternator, the good news is a 60 amp delco (from most V8 gm vehicles in 70" and 80's) will bolt right on without any modifiation. You an get a rebuilt one, in the one wire "self exciting" versions to if you want for around $70
Ken

OP
OP
C

Chandler

I believe the Korean Mondo alt is 55 amps. That should be plenty on amps. Check you voltage and see if its running 14.4 to 14.5
I had the main power wire break on mine and had to solder a new ring terminal on. Is you battery warning light on?
Also a bad diode can cause the alternator to put out lower amperage and draw current back from the battery when the engine is off.
If it is in fact a dead alternator, the good news is a 60 amp delco (from most V8 gm vehicles in 70" and 80's) will bolt right on without any modifiation. You an get a rebuilt one, in the one wire "self exciting" versions to if you want for around $70
Ken
I can charge the battery and it will last for 2 to 3 weeks and then go dead. Usually when I'm doing a job and I have to jump start it. The battery light doesn't come on till the battery is too low to crank the motor. Is the diode located in the alternator?

skidsteer.ca

I can charge the battery and it will last for 2 to 3 weeks and then go dead. Usually when I'm doing a job and I have to jump start it. The battery light doesn't come on till the battery is too low to crank the motor. Is the diode located in the alternator?
Altenators have a diode pack in them, usually 3, if one goes bad the alternator loses 1/3 of its amperage capacity, The diodes job is to only let current flow in 1 direction down a conductor, if its bad it may be a open circuit or it may cause the alternator to draw current from the battery when the engine is off. (does not sound like your case because you can get 3 weeks out of a charge)
You need to check the alternators voltage with yours lights, heater etc all on to see if you have @ 14.5 volts, if your under 14 volts your battery will not fully charge. It is also possible the altenator does not work at all, but unlikely you could get 2 weeks before you have to charge.
Certain models (ie 753 but not 763 or 773, that way the dealers get the full info from a complete manual set, but if you buy just your 773 manual you may be SOL) of the bobcat service manuals have a complete testing section for the alternator
Download some of the manuals for the other models and have a look
Delco is still you best bet, reliable, cheap and cheap to rebuild. My local stater alternator shop laughed when I brought my Mondo in. he said "Son, we don't fix those!" The parts were more then the Delco was outright
Ken

OP
OP
C

Chandler

Altenators have a diode pack in them, usually 3, if one goes bad the alternator loses 1/3 of its amperage capacity, The diodes job is to only let current flow in 1 direction down a conductor, if its bad it may be a open circuit or it may cause the alternator to draw current from the battery when the engine is off. (does not sound like your case because you can get 3 weeks out of a charge)
You need to check the alternators voltage with yours lights, heater etc all on to see if you have @ 14.5 volts, if your under 14 volts your battery will not fully charge. It is also possible the altenator does not work at all, but unlikely you could get 2 weeks before you have to charge.
Certain models (ie 753 but not 763 or 773, that way the dealers get the full info from a complete manual set, but if you buy just your 773 manual you may be SOL) of the bobcat service manuals have a complete testing section for the alternator
Download some of the manuals for the other models and have a look
Delco is still you best bet, reliable, cheap and cheap to rebuild. My local stater alternator shop laughed when I brought my Mondo in. he said "Son, we don't fix those!" The parts were more then the Delco was outright
Ken
Thanks, I'll check the voltage and see what, if any voltage it reads. So I can get a delco alternator, as long as it bolts on okay? Will it hurt anything if the amp output is a little higher?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks, I'll check the voltage and see what, if any voltage it reads. So I can get a delco alternator, as long as it bolts on okay? Will it hurt anything if the amp output is a little higher?
Higher amperage output is no problem.

skidsteer.ca

That's good, I seen one on ebay that fits my loader that's a 90 amp alternator. That should be plenty and more.
I'm not sure if one that high of amperage will fit as the case gets slightly larger. The 60 amp should be more then plenty also.
I forget what model number the repair guy said but maybe a si2 ? Any way the real comon ones from the 70's and 80's
I run the 100 amp ones on the skidders but we have 12 halogen on hem, yourbobcat will never need 90 amps, also if you go self exciting (one wire) the larger amperage alts have to spin faster to kick in, where as a 60 amp with excite just above idle.
Ken

OP
OP
C

Chandler

I'm not sure if one that high of amperage will fit as the case gets slightly larger. The 60 amp should be more then plenty also.
I forget what model number the repair guy said but maybe a si2 ? Any way the real comon ones from the 70's and 80's
I run the 100 amp ones on the skidders but we have 12 halogen on hem, yourbobcat will never need 90 amps, also if you go self exciting (one wire) the larger amperage alts have to spin faster to kick in, where as a 60 amp with excite just above idle.
Ken
Thanks skidsteer, I'll keep that info in mind. It's on a job right now, so when I get it back home I'll get to work on it.