763G Motor problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rayburn98

Hi everyone, I have been chasing a coolant leak on my machine and noticed last night the coolant was from the left rear of the head where it meets the block. Called the dealer this morning and they said most likely the head was cracked...$2500 repair for the head or a reman motor for $5100. The machine never runs hot nor does it smoke...lifted cab and could not find anything wet or leaking. Have any of you seen this before and if so what did you do about it? Thanks, Pete

763-NJ

The easy way to located a leak is to use a dye and a black light. Did you psi test the system? Also a cracked head my only leak when the engine is hot. Also the head could be warped or maybe just a bad head gasket. A good machine shop can repair cylinder heads. I thnk there are some cup plugs in that area make sure they are not leaking. Another thing to think about is the radiator is above the engine. Check for a leak dripping down. Hope this help.

Mikefromcny

The easy way to located a leak is to use a dye and a black light. Did you psi test the system? Also a cracked head my only leak when the engine is hot. Also the head could be warped or maybe just a bad head gasket. A good machine shop can repair cylinder heads. I thnk there are some cup plugs in that area make sure they are not leaking. Another thing to think about is the radiator is above the engine. Check for a leak dripping down. Hope this help.
Sounds like a cracked head. Kubotas are notorious for it. I work for a Kubota dealer, we sell quite a few. I just put a new head on a V1505 that was in a straw blower. It ran good and didn't overheat til it was under a good load. The crack was in the hole where the pre combustion sits and you could actually pull it out with your fingers. Not sure what the V2203 head costs but I paid $990 for head, head gasket and topend gaskets. It took me about 5 hours to do the job, took my time and had to deal with the rusty exhaust manifold studs. Its definitely do able if your mechanically inclined.

Tazza

Staff member
Sounds like a cracked head. Kubotas are notorious for it. I work for a Kubota dealer, we sell quite a few. I just put a new head on a V1505 that was in a straw blower. It ran good and didn't overheat til it was under a good load. The crack was in the hole where the pre combustion sits and you could actually pull it out with your fingers. Not sure what the V2203 head costs but I paid $990 for head, head gasket and topend gaskets. It took me about 5 hours to do the job, took my time and had to deal with the rusty exhaust manifold studs. Its definitely do able if your mechanically inclined.
I'd suspect a cracked head too, a head off ebay will run you about 1k, possibly even with a head gasket.
If you have any mechanical abilities, take your time and you can do it your self.
They are known for cracking if they get hot, you won't really know till you remove the head and get it tested.

Bobcatdan

I'd suspect a cracked head too, a head off ebay will run you about 1k, possibly even with a head gasket.
If you have any mechanical abilities, take your time and you can do it your self.
They are known for cracking if they get hot, you won't really know till you remove the head and get it tested.
If it is not burning coolant, which a lot don't, it can be run. I have a number of cheap customers who have been running like that for years. I'm not saying don't fix it, but throwing that out there.