763 getting hot

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

larryb346

I have a 2001 763G. It runs great. After using it for 30 minutes or so in 90 degree weather it starts getting hot. The temp gauge goes to the yellow and approaches the red. Today it did get nearly to the red and the temp light came on. I can let it idle or run for a few minutes without using the hydraulics and it cools right back down. I have only used it for a very few hours. I bought it several months ago, but not used it a lot. It sounds like the Hyd. are noise when steering. It is full of hyd. fluid and all fluids are full (rad. engine oil) I have not independently checked the actual coolant temperature, but with the light coming on seems to confirm the overheating Any suggestions? Thanks Larry

Bobcatdan

Flip up the hydraulic cooler and check for how much crap is on top of the radiator. That seems most likely. From what you say, I feel your cooling fan system is OK.

OP
OP
L

larryb346

Flip up the hydraulic cooler and check for how much crap is on top of the radiator. That seems most likely. From what you say, I feel your cooling fan system is OK.
There is very little debris. I will clean it out today but doubt if a cup full total. I drove it about 1/4 mile and the temp went from cold start to normal. After that I moved some gravel that had washed in recent rains and it was still normal temp. I drove it maybe another 3/8 of a mile and it was getting hotter the longer I drove it. The last couple hundred yards was up a fairly steep hill and it got over into the red area and the light came on the last 200 feet. I parked it and let the engine run with no hyd. usage and it cooled right back down. It seems like the driving it made the heating issue worse. I need to check the temp independently of the gauge but it didn't really "smell" hot. Larry

Tazza

Staff member
There is very little debris. I will clean it out today but doubt if a cup full total. I drove it about 1/4 mile and the temp went from cold start to normal. After that I moved some gravel that had washed in recent rains and it was still normal temp. I drove it maybe another 3/8 of a mile and it was getting hotter the longer I drove it. The last couple hundred yards was up a fairly steep hill and it got over into the red area and the light came on the last 200 feet. I parked it and let the engine run with no hyd. usage and it cooled right back down. It seems like the driving it made the heating issue worse. I need to check the temp independently of the gauge but it didn't really "smell" hot. Larry
I'm wondering if it is actually hot or the sender isn't working right.
It could also be a bad thermostat or gauge (if it has round gauges).
Either way, don't let it get too hot, Kubota engines love cracking when they get hot. You are doing the right thing investigating the issue.

[email protected]

I'm wondering if it is actually hot or the sender isn't working right.
It could also be a bad thermostat or gauge (if it has round gauges).
Either way, don't let it get too hot, Kubota engines love cracking when they get hot. You are doing the right thing investigating the issue.
it definitely seems like its the hydraulics making it get hot, not running the engine

Tazza

Staff member
it definitely seems like its the hydraulics making it get hot, not running the engine
When you operate the hydraulics, you load the engine down, the more load means more fuel is being burnt/more heat is generated. I guess it could be a coolant flow issue, it's working well enough without a load, but when loaded down, it's not moving enough coolant to keep it cool?

OP
OP
L

larryb346

When you operate the hydraulics, you load the engine down, the more load means more fuel is being burnt/more heat is generated. I guess it could be a coolant flow issue, it's working well enough without a load, but when loaded down, it's not moving enough coolant to keep it cool?
I totally agree it is the Hyd. causing the engine temperature to rise. I did not work the boom/tilt hyd. hard at all. I scraped some washed gravel and moved it back where it had washed from. Total likely no more than what would be a full bucket. Prior to that I scraped some manure out of a barn. That took about 10 min and it did not get hot. It seemed to be during the drive part rather than lifting part that caused it to get hot. I drove it solid for about 3/8 mile or further. During that trip is when the temp. started rising. I was running the engine maybe 3/4 throttle or less during the time I was using it. I am not sure the relationship between the traveling and overheating. Thanks for your input and help. Larry

Bobcatdan

I totally agree it is the Hyd. causing the engine temperature to rise. I did not work the boom/tilt hyd. hard at all. I scraped some washed gravel and moved it back where it had washed from. Total likely no more than what would be a full bucket. Prior to that I scraped some manure out of a barn. That took about 10 min and it did not get hot. It seemed to be during the drive part rather than lifting part that caused it to get hot. I drove it solid for about 3/8 mile or further. During that trip is when the temp. started rising. I was running the engine maybe 3/4 throttle or less during the time I was using it. I am not sure the relationship between the traveling and overheating. Thanks for your input and help. Larry
Just a thought, but something I catch myself doing. When driving a long, I will notice I'm slightly depressing one of the pedals enough to make the hydraulics hiss. Done for a long time, I could see this heating the hydraulic system.

[email protected]

Just a thought, but something I catch myself doing. When driving a long, I will notice I'm slightly depressing one of the pedals enough to make the hydraulics hiss. Done for a long time, I could see this heating the hydraulic system.
that happens to me all the time as well haha

OP
OP
L

larryb346

that happens to me all the time as well haha
Is the sender for the gauge and the one for the light different or does the gauge one trigger the light after a certain temp. The gauge just started into the red and the light came on. Within a few seconds of my stopping forward movement the temp started dropping and in 2 minutes of fast idling it was back to normal. The hot light however stayed on until I restarted the machine. I could be "riding" the pedals but I don't think so. I was traveling over a farm field so pretty bouncy. Thanks Larry

OP
OP
L

larryb346

Is the sender for the gauge and the one for the light different or does the gauge one trigger the light after a certain temp. The gauge just started into the red and the light came on. Within a few seconds of my stopping forward movement the temp started dropping and in 2 minutes of fast idling it was back to normal. The hot light however stayed on until I restarted the machine. I could be "riding" the pedals but I don't think so. I was traveling over a farm field so pretty bouncy. Thanks Larry
Unable to edit and add this to the past post. I have the temp. gauge on the upper panel on the left side. The temp light I am referring to is on the right panel. Is this a engine temp light or a hydo. fluid temp light

Tazza

Staff member
Unable to edit and add this to the past post. I have the temp. gauge on the upper panel on the left side. The temp light I am referring to is on the right panel. Is this a engine temp light or a hydo. fluid temp light
I believe the light is a combination hydro oil temperature and hyd oil over pressure?
There should be a sender on the oil filter housing that detects when the filter is plugged. Not sure where the temperature one is for the oil.

Snowtom850

Hello Larry,
I know this is an old post but I have the same machine with the same problem. Have been trying to get to the bottom of for awhile now. Dealer told me had to be a cracked head or head gasket. so did that and had head checked the did fix a small crack and said checked good. I still have the same issue. wondering if you ever resolved yours ?