743 new starter red hot

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kensteer

743 Bobcat. 80's model. A new starter and solenoid. Have operated a few times with no problems since putting new starter on machine. Yesterday after operating for a while, we could smell hot electrical. The main cable that goes from starter to solenoid was hot. The starter was red hot. Now, it is ruined as it turns over slowly and sounds a lot different. The only wires that got hot it that main cable. Small terminal on left side on solenoid has one white wire on it. All the other wires are on the post on the starter where battery cable hot wire mounts. Something is wrong. Any answers would be appreciated and a wiring diagram.

foton

maybe your key switch is bad and not releasing the starter relay so the starter stays engaged while engine is running. just something to check out it could be something else of course.

oiu789

The starter may have stuck engaged. With the engine running they spin very fast big ring gear turning smaller starter gear. The starter turns into a generator and things get very hot. Especially with gear reduction starters. Loosen the starter bolts and feel and listen if you hear it disengage pull it out and see if the bendix is stuck out and condition of it. It also may have been an electrical condition that kept it engaged.

Last edited:

haymaker

possible, but you don't hear the starter grinding or any sound from it.
If it stayed engaged you would not hear it grinding, just a whirring sound that would probably be drowned out by the motor noise except at very low idle.
As OIU said if it was stuck engaged you would hear it release when loosening the bolts, except it may have gotten so hot that when it cooled off it would slip out of the drive gear and already released.
I had a ford tractor that happened to once.

OP
OP
K

kensteer

Change out the starter. The old one is cooked. And it was a new starter. It got very hot.

oiu789

Did changing it out fix it. Did you make sure this one is disengaging? Leave one battery cable a little loose and have a glove on so you can unhook it if it does not. When you put the 1st new one on was the signal wire put on the terminal on the starter? It should have been the one marked S.

Last edited:

laurencen

had a starter when installed was a tight fit for the shaft end, when the starter engaged and motor started the friction held the gear forward, turned out the gear end was not a great match for the ring gear, the solution in my case was to elongate the mounting holes

haymaker

I ended up tipping one corner of mounting flange with a washer to fix my ford.
It took several tries to get it but I knew I could since it worked well with the bolts a bit loose.
It was an oem starter too so you just never know.

Latest posts