763 Aux Hydraulics Won't Disengage?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OldNeons

I posted a problem with the aux hydraulic light (engagement button) not staying on after changing out the steel control (steering/drive) lever arm. The wires for aux engagement toggle switch in the handle grip run through the arm. Initially, the light would not stay engaged and the aux hyd would not function. I took connectors apart, cleaned, blew out, and installed di-electric grease and reconnected. Aux light now stays on just fine - and the cylinders on my blade both function in both directions. BUT they stay locked in one direction until you bump the switch back the other way to disengage? Normally, it should be like a momentary contact switch - tap it once and it will nudge the cylinder a bit and stop. Now, in either direction, if you tap it - it stays engaged and goes full travel - and even then does not shut down until you nudge the switch in other direction (I can tell this as you can hear the pump bogging down as it's trying to move even though cylinder has reached full travel- did not do this for long obviously). Any help on what is happening here please? I'm not real versed in hydraulics - and the controls for them. Thanks in advance.

flyerdan

It sounds very much like your thumb switch isn't returning to the center off position. It could be when you had it apart you lost the spring and tiny ball that centers it. Or if that isn't the case, the cleaner or lube is too stiff for the temp (assuming it's cold where you are) and binding it.

OP
OP
O

OldNeons

It sounds very much like your thumb switch isn't returning to the center off position. It could be when you had it apart you lost the spring and tiny ball that centers it. Or if that isn't the case, the cleaner or lube is too stiff for the temp (assuming it's cold where you are) and binding it.
thanks Dan - I didn't take the switch apart. It's completely enclosed (potted) in the handle assembly. I did remove the cover over the exposed toggle portion and blew it out/sprayed with contact cleaner. The handle does spring back to center better in one direction than the other - but it does return to neutral from either side???? Any other thoughts or ways to check this out - is there any way the Pulse Modulator Controller can be "sticking"? Or is this purely a switch issue? Can I manually jump the correct wires to see if it's just a switch or not?? thanks

Tazza

Staff member
thanks Dan - I didn't take the switch apart. It's completely enclosed (potted) in the handle assembly. I did remove the cover over the exposed toggle portion and blew it out/sprayed with contact cleaner. The handle does spring back to center better in one direction than the other - but it does return to neutral from either side???? Any other thoughts or ways to check this out - is there any way the Pulse Modulator Controller can be "sticking"? Or is this purely a switch issue? Can I manually jump the correct wires to see if it's just a switch or not?? thanks
If you don't have proportional control, the switch will click lef and right, if it's proportional, it will be smooth, no click.
I see no reason why you can't jump wires on either switch to confirm if it's the switch or not, you just need to find the required wires.

OP
OP
O

OldNeons

If you don't have proportional control, the switch will click lef and right, if it's proportional, it will be smooth, no click.
I see no reason why you can't jump wires on either switch to confirm if it's the switch or not, you just need to find the required wires.
thanks for reply. I don't believe the control is proportional? It's pretty much on or off. I'll look in service manual and see if I can find a wiring diagram. There are 3 wires in one connector (I assume the aux hydr) and two wires in another connector (I assume for the horn trigger? that has never worked on this machine). Appreciate any additional input as to what's causing hydraulics to remain engaged - or if anyone has ever tried repairing or changing the switch. I imagine that handle/switch assembly is a pretty penny from Bobcat?? Thank you!

Tazza

Staff member
thanks for reply. I don't believe the control is proportional? It's pretty much on or off. I'll look in service manual and see if I can find a wiring diagram. There are 3 wires in one connector (I assume the aux hydr) and two wires in another connector (I assume for the horn trigger? that has never worked on this machine). Appreciate any additional input as to what's causing hydraulics to remain engaged - or if anyone has ever tried repairing or changing the switch. I imagine that handle/switch assembly is a pretty penny from Bobcat?? Thank you!
The most common cause of them sticking is a bad stem, it engages and stays engaged. If you loosen the retaining nut on the aux stems, engage the aux hydraulics to get it to be in the fault condition, then lift the coil off the stem, if it tries to pull bak down, you have power going to the coil still. If they are both free, i believe the issue is not electrical, and mechanical inside the stem.
Just another place for you to look.

Latest posts