753 drives

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

digsalot

forward seems ok. right turns are okay. left turns is weird. if you run up the rpms and hold the right stick forward and keep moving the left stick from center to full back it will eventually go left. but you better be hanging on because it turns quick. reverse is slower on the left side sometimes. thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Two things i'd check, jack it up and check the slack in the wheels to see if a chain is binding.
Second thing i'd do is swap motors from side to side, it's not a real hard job to do but will tell you if it's the pump or motor seals.

OP
OP
D

digsalot

Two things i'd check, jack it up and check the slack in the wheels to see if a chain is binding.
Second thing i'd do is swap motors from side to side, it's not a real hard job to do but will tell you if it's the pump or motor seals.
Got my manuals. Now to start motor swapping. Since its a 19 year old machine with unknown hours I'm thinking about resealing the motors after the test. It had severe hydraulic leaks when I got it so its probably run dry a time or two.

OP
OP
D

digsalot

Got my manuals. Now to start motor swapping. Since its a 19 year old machine with unknown hours I'm thinking about resealing the motors after the test. It had severe hydraulic leaks when I got it so its probably run dry a time or two.
Well more fun. Pulled motor covers. Gonna need a bigger wrench than I own. Also have to get my pressure washer going. Area around motors is packed with dirt and oil. Remind me why this is fun.

Tazza

Staff member
Well more fun. Pulled motor covers. Gonna need a bigger wrench than I own. Also have to get my pressure washer going. Area around motors is packed with dirt and oil. Remind me why this is fun.
It's never fun but rewarding when it's all complete

OP
OP
D

digsalot

It's never fun but rewarding when it's all complete
swapped the motors out. still doesn't like reverse on that same side. when you say pump exactly what needs to be done. is it owner repairable. thanks for your help.

OP
OP
D

digsalot

swapped the motors out. still doesn't like reverse on that same side. when you say pump exactly what needs to be done. is it owner repairable. thanks for your help.
Did some more test today. Pressure at auxiliary is between 2500 to 3000 PSI. The red light stays on. May be the sending unit. Guess its time to rip it apart.

Tazza

Staff member
Did some more test today. Pressure at auxiliary is between 2500 to 3000 PSI. The red light stays on. May be the sending unit. Guess its time to rip it apart.
Your hydraulic pump looks good, must be something in the drive pump.
It is possible the sender is bad, keeping the light on, they do fail.
There is nothing inside the pump that you can't work on.
Does the side have lower power both forward and reverse? If it's one direction only, it could be a relief valve.

OP
OP
D

digsalot

Your hydraulic pump looks good, must be something in the drive pump.
It is possible the sender is bad, keeping the light on, they do fail.
There is nothing inside the pump that you can't work on.
Does the side have lower power both forward and reverse? If it's one direction only, it could be a relief valve.
one direction. From all my research both the swash plates and relief valves can cause problems. The rest of the guts seem to hold up pretty good. Guess I'm fixing to learn how to pull a motor and pump. Sure hated to drop all that cash on the parts and service manual but they are a great help.

Tazza

Staff member
one direction. From all my research both the swash plates and relief valves can cause problems. The rest of the guts seem to hold up pretty good. Guess I'm fixing to learn how to pull a motor and pump. Sure hated to drop all that cash on the parts and service manual but they are a great help.
If it's one direction only, i'd think it is a relief valve. The swash plate just alters the angle of the rotating group that pumps the oil. If the rotating group or wear plate were worn, the issue would be both directions.
I can't remember totally..... But look at the top of the pump, there will be i believe 4 allen headed plugs. Hopefully they are all on the top and not have two hidden underneath. Either way, if there are on the top, remove them one by one and inspect them. I am not sure if they are all the same, but of the springs look the same thickness, try swapping them around and see if the issue moves.
They have an Oring around them to seal as well, so they may be a little stiff to get out.
I will have a look through my images to see if i have a record of where these relief valves are located.

Tazza

Staff member
If it's one direction only, i'd think it is a relief valve. The swash plate just alters the angle of the rotating group that pumps the oil. If the rotating group or wear plate were worn, the issue would be both directions.
I can't remember totally..... But look at the top of the pump, there will be i believe 4 allen headed plugs. Hopefully they are all on the top and not have two hidden underneath. Either way, if there are on the top, remove them one by one and inspect them. I am not sure if they are all the same, but of the springs look the same thickness, try swapping them around and see if the issue moves.
They have an Oring around them to seal as well, so they may be a little stiff to get out.
I will have a look through my images to see if i have a record of where these relief valves are located.
Looks like two on top, two on the bottom.
Try changing the top two over and see if the issue moves, you may be lucky enough for it to be easily accessable, but we all know how that goes in reality...... It will be the hardest one to get to.
Look up my profile and send me an email, i can send a picture showing the plugs i am talking about.

7LBSSMALLIE

WEAK DRIVE ONE SIDE ONE DIRECTION ONLY. don't over complicate it remove motor tear down inspect. PAY PARTICULAR ATTETAION TO DOG BONE. RESEAL MOTOR

OP
OP
D

digsalot

WEAK DRIVE ONE SIDE ONE DIRECTION ONLY. don't over complicate it remove motor tear down inspect. PAY PARTICULAR ATTETAION TO DOG BONE. RESEAL MOTOR
I've got the factory parts and service manuals. Ill see if I can find the relief valves on the pump tomorrow. With my luck ill have to stand on my head with a mirror to find them.sure appreciate your help. This is turning into quite the experience. I can see why labor bills are killers on these machines. Found my other hydraulic leak also.

Tazza

Staff member
I've got the factory parts and service manuals. Ill see if I can find the relief valves on the pump tomorrow. With my luck ill have to stand on my head with a mirror to find them.sure appreciate your help. This is turning into quite the experience. I can see why labor bills are killers on these machines. Found my other hydraulic leak also.
Glad you sorted out the leak, hopefully you can easily fix the pump. Time taken does add up fast, access is not always easy....
Hopefully the relief valves you need to mess with are the ones on the top of the pump.

OP
OP
D

digsalot

Glad you sorted out the leak, hopefully you can easily fix the pump. Time taken does add up fast, access is not always easy....
Hopefully the relief valves you need to mess with are the ones on the top of the pump.
Think I found 2 of them. There under the centering plate. That means the other 2 are on the bottom. Almost finished the lifting bracket to pull everything out. good plans in the manual.

Tazza

Staff member
Think I found 2 of them. There under the centering plate. That means the other 2 are on the bottom. Almost finished the lifting bracket to pull everything out. good plans in the manual.
Those are the two i was talking about. Try swapping them first, you MAY get out of having to pull the engine/pump out.

OP
OP
D

digsalot

Those are the two i was talking about. Try swapping them first, you MAY get out of having to pull the engine/pump out.
Well my bad luck continues. If I'm looking at the parts breakdown correctly theres 2 relief valves and 2 check valves. Guess which 2 are on top. Guess its coming out now. If there not to expensive I'm going to replace both of them.

OP
OP
D

digsalot

Well my bad luck continues. If I'm looking at the parts breakdown correctly theres 2 relief valves and 2 check valves. Guess which 2 are on top. Guess its coming out now. If there not to expensive I'm going to replace both of them.
Ok I'm getting crosseyed between the parts manual and service manual. I found notes in the service manual that certain serial numbers used replenishing valves only. so they may be replenishing valves. Man I'm confused now.

OP
OP
D

digsalot

Ok I'm getting crosseyed between the parts manual and service manual. I found notes in the service manual that certain serial numbers used replenishing valves only. so they may be replenishing valves. Man I'm confused now.
my serial #512723633.