753 cranks but will not start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tdburnette

I am looking to purchase a 753 with 3600 hrs and it will crank but not start. I am looking for some help on maybe what to look for, maybe to tell how serious the problem might be before I purchase it. He is wanting 5200 for the machine, it is real clean and straight. thank you,

LWIS

If the machine has fuel in it, check for fuel at the bleed screw on the injector pump. There is a small lever on the fuel pump, thumb it up and down w/screw open. Or there may be a sqeeze bulb in the fuel line by the oil pan. If there is fuel coming out when lever is pressed or bulb sqeezed it should start after a few tries. If it does not start the shut down solenoid may be bad or sticking closed not allowing fuel to the injectors. You should be able to hear it click open when the key is turned on.

Tazza

Staff member
If the machine has fuel in it, check for fuel at the bleed screw on the injector pump. There is a small lever on the fuel pump, thumb it up and down w/screw open. Or there may be a sqeeze bulb in the fuel line by the oil pan. If there is fuel coming out when lever is pressed or bulb sqeezed it should start after a few tries. If it does not start the shut down solenoid may be bad or sticking closed not allowing fuel to the injectors. You should be able to hear it click open when the key is turned on.
Thats about it, check you are getting fuel to the engine, is there any smoke when it cranks? Ensure the stop lever is pulled across when cranking, you can even get someone to hold it in place if the solenoid is bad.
If there is white smoke you are getting fuel, if there is none your fuel suply is the problem, be it no fuel or pump/injectors or stop lever. They are pretty simple engines.

OP
OP
T

tdburnette

Thats about it, check you are getting fuel to the engine, is there any smoke when it cranks? Ensure the stop lever is pulled across when cranking, you can even get someone to hold it in place if the solenoid is bad.
If there is white smoke you are getting fuel, if there is none your fuel suply is the problem, be it no fuel or pump/injectors or stop lever. They are pretty simple engines.
is there any thing other than the shut down solenoid that could make it not start (electrical)? are these bad about the injector pumps going bad?

Tazza

Staff member
is there any thing other than the shut down solenoid that could make it not start (electrical)? are these bad about the injector pumps going bad?
Correct, thats the only electrical device that could stop it starting provided your starter still spins of course. I have never had a bad injector pump. I have however had a machine someone fiddled with by removing pump parts and the injectors were plugged up. I cleaned them up and replaced the missing pump parts and it runs sweet now.
Are you getting smoke? and can you *hear* compression? Its hard to describe but you can hear the puff as the air charge is compressed. If that sound is not there all i can think of is your timing is off for some reason, but i'd doubt that.
If you are getting fuel there is no reason for it to not start, you can crack the fittings on the injectors and crank, if you are getting fuel there you could have plugged injectors.
First thing, ensure the stop lever moves across when the engine cranks. You can even tie it to the right to ensure its getting fuel. Make sure you are getting fuel to the pump, the pickup tubes can snap off in the fuel tank. In the past i have used a bottle of fuel and run hoses to it using the primer bulb to prime the system. This way you know for sure that there is fuel to the pump. Crack the screw on the pump then squeeze the primer bulb, you should be able to feel the fuel and air bubble squeeze out. Close the bleed screw then it should be good to go.
Does that make any sense?

OP
OP
T

tdburnette

Correct, thats the only electrical device that could stop it starting provided your starter still spins of course. I have never had a bad injector pump. I have however had a machine someone fiddled with by removing pump parts and the injectors were plugged up. I cleaned them up and replaced the missing pump parts and it runs sweet now.
Are you getting smoke? and can you *hear* compression? Its hard to describe but you can hear the puff as the air charge is compressed. If that sound is not there all i can think of is your timing is off for some reason, but i'd doubt that.
If you are getting fuel there is no reason for it to not start, you can crack the fittings on the injectors and crank, if you are getting fuel there you could have plugged injectors.
First thing, ensure the stop lever moves across when the engine cranks. You can even tie it to the right to ensure its getting fuel. Make sure you are getting fuel to the pump, the pickup tubes can snap off in the fuel tank. In the past i have used a bottle of fuel and run hoses to it using the primer bulb to prime the system. This way you know for sure that there is fuel to the pump. Crack the screw on the pump then squeeze the primer bulb, you should be able to feel the fuel and air bubble squeeze out. Close the bleed screw then it should be good to go.
yes it all makes sense I have been an auto tech for 20 years, just not much experience with bobcats. I like the way you put you can hear compression. I know what you mean. thank you,

OP
OP
T

tdburnette

the shut off solenoid works, it does spit fuel from the injector lines, and it appears to be diesel. what is next? it sucks hard on the inake against my hand. and there is no smoke when cranking it is cranking a little slow, not real slow though, as far as hearing compression it is a little tough on this one. What is the compression supposed to be and is it checked in the glow plug hole.

Tazza

Staff member
the shut off solenoid works, it does spit fuel from the injector lines, and it appears to be diesel. what is next? it sucks hard on the inake against my hand. and there is no smoke when cranking it is cranking a little slow, not real slow though, as far as hearing compression it is a little tough on this one. What is the compression supposed to be and is it checked in the glow plug hole.
Compression should be up to 475 or so PSI, the lower limit from memory is 350. Its checked through the glow plug hole with the fuel lever in the off position, you don't want it firing and blowing the gauge up!.
I personally would pull the injectors and lines, put the short tube line on the pump and attach an injector facing down, crank and see if you get fuel spraying out, if there is no spray your injectors may be stuck, this does happen! I have personally had this problem before, i pulled the injectors apart and got the needle in the nozzle moving again and it worked sweet. You can get it done at a diesel shop too. As you said there is no smoke and fuel to the injectors i do suspect stuck needles in the injectors.
Does any of that make sense?
If you want to have a stab at pulling an injector, they aren't that complicated just ensure you put all the shims back and that the other parts go the rite way around. I found with stuck needles that i could hold the back in the vice and turn the nozzle and it would come free, then using WD40 i ran it in and out a few times and blew down with air till it felt smooth, then re-assembled with WD40 I did check them with the pimp and a tube line then installed them in the engine, presto!

OP
OP
T

tdburnette

Compression should be up to 475 or so PSI, the lower limit from memory is 350. Its checked through the glow plug hole with the fuel lever in the off position, you don't want it firing and blowing the gauge up!.
I personally would pull the injectors and lines, put the short tube line on the pump and attach an injector facing down, crank and see if you get fuel spraying out, if there is no spray your injectors may be stuck, this does happen! I have personally had this problem before, i pulled the injectors apart and got the needle in the nozzle moving again and it worked sweet. You can get it done at a diesel shop too. As you said there is no smoke and fuel to the injectors i do suspect stuck needles in the injectors.
If you want to have a stab at pulling an injector, they aren't that complicated just ensure you put all the shims back and that the other parts go the rite way around. I found with stuck needles that i could hold the back in the vice and turn the nozzle and it would come free, then using WD40 i ran it in and out a few times and blew down with air till it felt smooth, then re-assembled with WD40 I did check them with the pimp and a tube line then installed them in the engine, presto!
would all 4 injectors stick at the same time would this have anything to do with the new fuel with low sulfur yes it makes sense.

OP
OP
T

tdburnette

I am going to assume that this thing should fire on starting fluid or ether. Is one better than the other thank you,

mllud

I am going to assume that this thing should fire on starting fluid or ether. Is one better than the other thank you,
Go real easy on the starting fluid. You can bend push rods and do damage. Not like gas engines or older diesels. Mike

mllud

Go real easy on the starting fluid. You can bend push rods and do damage. Not like gas engines or older diesels. Mike
I always thought starting fluid was either. It you crank the engine and have someone give a small shot to the air cleaner. It seems to knock less. Ive heard some terrible noises from guys using either. Mike

Tazza

Staff member
I always thought starting fluid was either. It you crank the engine and have someone give a small shot to the air cleaner. It seems to knock less. Ive heard some terrible noises from guys using either. Mike
It makes a horrible noise when that stuff goes off in a diesel..... Ensure the plugs are not on or you could have pre-detonation.
Use the starting juice as a last resort!
All 4 injectors could plug up together, i bought a machine that had all 4 plugged, not just the nozzles but the path it takes through the injector housing was gunked up too, the fuel would just make a small bead on the tip, there was no smoke or signs of life.

skidsteer.ca

As Mike said go easy with either/starting fluid (same stuff) But that is a ok way to verify some compression exist as the motor can be run on it (for a few seconds) If you remove the drive belt to the pumps and turn the engine with a wrench, you should be able to feel the resistance of the compression and hear some of the air escaping into the crankcase, if it will suck you hand into the intake thats a pretty good sign the basics are ok.
It may have a dead injection pump too, but for some reason no fuel is getting into the engine or you would have smoke while cranking. So start with the basics and work from there.
Diesel is not that much different then gas engines, no spark system, just a well timed mist of fuel to light the fire.
Ken

mllud

As Mike said go easy with either/starting fluid (same stuff) But that is a ok way to verify some compression exist as the motor can be run on it (for a few seconds) If you remove the drive belt to the pumps and turn the engine with a wrench, you should be able to feel the resistance of the compression and hear some of the air escaping into the crankcase, if it will suck you hand into the intake thats a pretty good sign the basics are ok.
It may have a dead injection pump too, but for some reason no fuel is getting into the engine or you would have smoke while cranking. So start with the basics and work from there.
Diesel is not that much different then gas engines, no spark system, just a well timed mist of fuel to light the fire.
Ken
I guess the difference is the differenceis with a gas engine is that the spark plug helps fire the either ai the proper time with the compression stroke.
With the diesel ,compression fires the fuel mist and if its mot sprayed to a particular cylinder in the right time it can fire in the wrong cylinder at the wrong time or at the wrong part of the stroke .
If a gas engine is out of time either can do damage also. It just doesnt seem to happen as much with gas engines. That could be that most of the gas engines that ive used either in probably didnt have much compression left.
Mike

Tazza

Staff member
I guess the difference is the differenceis with a gas engine is that the spark plug helps fire the either ai the proper time with the compression stroke.
With the diesel ,compression fires the fuel mist and if its mot sprayed to a particular cylinder in the right time it can fire in the wrong cylinder at the wrong time or at the wrong part of the stroke .
If a gas engine is out of time either can do damage also. It just doesnt seem to happen as much with gas engines. That could be that most of the gas engines that ive used either in probably didnt have much compression left.
Mike
Ether is usually the last resort, i did it in my 753 when it refused to show any signs of life. When it kicked and rattled i knew it had to be the fuel system as there was enough compression to detonate the ether. So if you do use it and it kicks and rattles you know it has to be fuel, either the injector pump or injectors. I can take pictures of what needs to be done to free up the injectors if needed, i have never pulled down a working pump though, i have only ever pulled the delivery vales and one way valves out. If you go further you risk messing up the fuel quantities then it has to be done at a diesel shop.
I love the name of the stuff we have "start you bastard" i read the name and laughed as i totally know the feeling!

OP
OP
T

tdburnette

Ether is usually the last resort, i did it in my 753 when it refused to show any signs of life. When it kicked and rattled i knew it had to be the fuel system as there was enough compression to detonate the ether. So if you do use it and it kicks and rattles you know it has to be fuel, either the injector pump or injectors. I can take pictures of what needs to be done to free up the injectors if needed, i have never pulled down a working pump though, i have only ever pulled the delivery vales and one way valves out. If you go further you risk messing up the fuel quantities then it has to be done at a diesel shop.
I love the name of the stuff we have "start you bastard" i read the name and laughed as i totally know the feeling!
I bought it not running so I know little history of the machine. The intake hose was loose so I suspect that someone has used starting fluid on the machine. How likely is it that a rod could be bent? Are these prone to that? I have compression gauge but not for a diesel. I am working on that.

mllud

I bought it not running so I know little history of the machine. The intake hose was loose so I suspect that someone has used starting fluid on the machine. How likely is it that a rod could be bent? Are these prone to that? I have compression gauge but not for a diesel. I am working on that.
If you suspect they used either pull youe valve cover and check the valve clearance. That would rule out bent push rods. That is a possability. Mike

skidsteer.ca

If you suspect they used either pull youe valve cover and check the valve clearance. That would rule out bent push rods. That is a possability. Mike
Your on the right track with a compression tester too, you will need to salvage a glow plug to make a thread adapter unless you can source the metric threads, no idea what size that is. Make it fit your regular comp tester and put a higher pressure guage on it.
I would doubt a con rod is bent but who knows, it should still run on the other 3. Even with low comp, it should still smoke the fuel when cranked. Bad fuel timing faulty injector spray all equal smoke too, the fuel just ain't getting there and that is the main trouble
LOL Start you B%stard.! That about sums up the last resort or using either. I'll have to change what I call it
Ken