753 BOSS problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
I have the joy if a problem with my BOSS system on a 753. The temp constantly reads 1 bar and the display tells me that the sender is not connected. I bought a new sender and i checked the wires from the sender to the boss box, the connections are good, less than an ohm of resistance for both wires. It shows the error at startup but doesn't beep at me again. There is what looks like an hour glass on the right of the hour metre which i assume may be a timer for glow?
I don't have an IR thermometer so i can block the rad and check the head temperature when i stop it from cooling.
Any ideas?

thetool

The hour glass symbol lights up next to the numbers and displays hours during normal operation.
I was looking at my books-did you get or do you have code EC-3? If you replace the sensor, and the wires from the controller to the sender are good, the only things left are the controller, the wires to the display and the display itself. Or sometimes the plug pins and sockets are damaged so you unplug form the controller, stick a probe in the socket on the plug, and you get good continuity, but when you reconnect to the controller, the contact is not there.
I'm assuming you have schematics-trace out and check continuity from the controller to the display and really eyeball all those pins and pin sockets on the controller, harness and dislplay.
If all still good, my guess is a bad controller, since your display is lighting up and you are getting a bar.
2 things-
This is all assuming the system is lying-which I guess you already know since you mentioned an IR thermometer.
And, embarrassed to ask, but sometimes folks confuse an EC and ECL code, or maybe your display is not lighting that center position and you have an ECL3? Which would be the sensor on your radiator monitoring coolant level.
The BOSS system can be such a pain in the scrote.
Good Luck.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
The hour glass symbol lights up next to the numbers and displays hours during normal operation.
I was looking at my books-did you get or do you have code EC-3? If you replace the sensor, and the wires from the controller to the sender are good, the only things left are the controller, the wires to the display and the display itself. Or sometimes the plug pins and sockets are damaged so you unplug form the controller, stick a probe in the socket on the plug, and you get good continuity, but when you reconnect to the controller, the contact is not there.
I'm assuming you have schematics-trace out and check continuity from the controller to the display and really eyeball all those pins and pin sockets on the controller, harness and dislplay.
If all still good, my guess is a bad controller, since your display is lighting up and you are getting a bar.
2 things-
This is all assuming the system is lying-which I guess you already know since you mentioned an IR thermometer.
And, embarrassed to ask, but sometimes folks confuse an EC and ECL code, or maybe your display is not lighting that center position and you have an ECL3? Which would be the sensor on your radiator monitoring coolant level.
The BOSS system can be such a pain in the scrote.
Good Luck.
Yes, I do get EC3 and not ECL3.
I don't have a IR temp gauge, i think i need one though then i can be sure the thermostat is working correctly. The hour glass makes sense, its showing operating hours, of course!.
I was thinking bad pins too, but i only checked from the sender to the wires just before the BOSS box, i couldn't get the connector off the box! I'll have to be a little more persuasive next time i think.
That gives me some where to start. The wires are so short to the connector i was thinking of extending them a little bit then i can test it by wiring it direct to the BOSS box then i can be sure the wiring is not the problem.
The joy of BOSS systems, you work with far more complicated gear, the new fangled machines with computers scare me a bit. I just think of that goes, I'm up for hundreds or thousands to fix!
Thanks for the ideas, I'll give them a go when i get a chance!