743b hydrostatic seal leak/rebuild

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Murjosh

After years of gaining info/incite from this site, my current problem has led me to registering and becoming more or a part of the group so first of all I would like to thank the community for all the help that I have received in the past. Now to business, I was leaking large amounts of fluid and it appeared to come from the front(boom/bucket end) of the unit between the pump that powers the boom bucket and the pump that powers the drive motors. After replacing the larger(4-5") oring that goes between the pumps, I still had the leak. Just got finished tearing it back down and discover there is a seal located inside the "drive motor pump" that could be leaking. Will I need(be better off) to rebuild/buy the whole unit or can i take that one section off and replace the seals. My service manual is 0 help and it looks like I will have to rebuild(this is a big job for me but I not afraid of the work, just cost) the whole thing because of this one little seal. Shish

jerry

If you search for and read all posts on rebuilding the pumps, take your time and pictures if you want it is not a big deal to rebuild them, Tazza is about your best source of advice on this so look through his past posts. I redid the pumps on the 632 with his advice and just a few bucks worth of seals and a new spring or two on reliefs. Worked out very good for me.

Tazza

Staff member
If you search for and read all posts on rebuilding the pumps, take your time and pictures if you want it is not a big deal to rebuild them, Tazza is about your best source of advice on this so look through his past posts. I redid the pumps on the 632 with his advice and just a few bucks worth of seals and a new spring or two on reliefs. Worked out very good for me.
Just where is it leaking? have you given the whole area a good clean? when its clean and dry, start it up and see if you can find the leak. Drive it for a few minutes and check. There are a few points that they can leak.
Between the pump segments, out of the hose feeding the pump, the large O ring that you replaced already, the O ring and fitting on the outlet. It could also be from the pintle arm seals that the steering levers connect to.
The best advise i can give is to clean it, then look for the leak again. A pressure washer or steam cleaner are ideal for this.
Now, to complicate things even more, if you have a bad drive motor carrier seal, you may be loosing fluid to the chain case and it will start to come out the axle seals or even the inspection cover that is naturally under the pump. It can make it look like the pump is leaking sending fluid onto this plate. Just something else to check.

7LBSSMALLIE

Just where is it leaking? have you given the whole area a good clean? when its clean and dry, start it up and see if you can find the leak. Drive it for a few minutes and check. There are a few points that they can leak.
Between the pump segments, out of the hose feeding the pump, the large O ring that you replaced already, the O ring and fitting on the outlet. It could also be from the pintle arm seals that the steering levers connect to.
The best advise i can give is to clean it, then look for the leak again. A pressure washer or steam cleaner are ideal for this.
Now, to complicate things even more, if you have a bad drive motor carrier seal, you may be loosing fluid to the chain case and it will start to come out the axle seals or even the inspection cover that is naturally under the pump. It can make it look like the pump is leaking sending fluid onto this plate. Just something else to check.
first let us differante the pump or motors. one pump two motors one hydrostat with two pumps i know sound like a butt head but garabge in garbage out. we can help.

OP
OP
M

Murjosh

first let us differante the pump or motors. one pump two motors one hydrostat with two pumps i know sound like a butt head but garabge in garbage out. we can help.
Thanks7lb, it's not the drive motor mounted, outside of chain case, that turns the wheels. The fluid it actually coming out on top of the middle chain case inspection plate. I did concider tazzas chain case theory because I replaced the chains bearings and seals and a drive motor. It is still pretty clean still from that episode about 20hrs ago.I tried to get a mirror and light to pinpoint where but no luck. Couldnt see. When I took the front pump(thingamajig opposite of the engine) off the front of the two other pumps(hydrostatic that controls the drive motors?) I saw fluid trickling like a golden fountain of toxic death from the bottom of the output shaft. I didn't think that was normal and suspected that o-ring wasn't accountable for all that pressure but I'm no engineer. Thanks Jerry. I read forums blogs from finance to wood stoves and I know that this one is top notch.

OP
OP
M

Murjosh

Thanks7lb, it's not the drive motor mounted, outside of chain case, that turns the wheels. The fluid it actually coming out on top of the middle chain case inspection plate. I did concider tazzas chain case theory because I replaced the chains bearings and seals and a drive motor. It is still pretty clean still from that episode about 20hrs ago.I tried to get a mirror and light to pinpoint where but no luck. Couldnt see. When I took the front pump(thingamajig opposite of the engine) off the front of the two other pumps(hydrostatic that controls the drive motors?) I saw fluid trickling like a golden fountain of toxic death from the bottom of the output shaft. I didn't think that was normal and suspected that o-ring wasn't accountable for all that pressure but I'm no engineer. Thanks Jerry. I read forums blogs from finance to wood stoves and I know that this one is top notch.
Oh yeah thx tazza. I wa hoping you would chime in. I talked to my dad about it and he said the guide leaking from around the shaft should be ok because I wasn't accounting for the "sleeve" that goes on the shaft. I'll check the other points you mentioned and scratch my head some more.

jerry

Oh yeah thx tazza. I wa hoping you would chime in. I talked to my dad about it and he said the guide leaking from around the shaft should be ok because I wasn't accounting for the "sleeve" that goes on the shaft. I'll check the other points you mentioned and scratch my head some more.
No Murjosh I meant read all the posts on these forums here for pump problems. Lots of them. Although it is good to know about wood stoves also.

Tazza

Staff member
No Murjosh I meant read all the posts on these forums here for pump problems. Lots of them. Although it is good to know about wood stoves also.
If its on top of the chain case cover it could be the pintle arm seals, the fluid drips down under the pump and falls off at the lowest point on to your cover. It may be hard to see, but the centering plate on the right, look at the metal blocks that the steering levers join to, there will be a small space between them and the pump, does it look wet around the shaft/seal? one for left one for right.
Access to see is not at all fun, but hopefully you can get in there to see. The only other points that can leak are the main seals between pump segments, but if the pump was not fiddled with, they should not go.
Another possibility is the main seal from the rear of the pump. Put your hand through the blower housing and feel around the U-joint, is it wet here? or even the rear of the pump, just under the back? There is a seal that seals a shaft from the engine, they can and do go bad. They aren't all that hard to replace if it is indeed it.
Sorry to give you more things to look for, hopefully one will be the issue, and not too hard to fix!