743 should I be running full throttle all the time?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

marko13

I asked once about a screeching sound on turning and someone suggested running higher throttle. due to my lack of experience and technique the higher the throttle the more the tendency to get a bucking bronco effect, but should I be running full throttle all the time? then I have to learn to finesse the controls so I don't flip it upside down just trying to drive it lol

laurencen

myself rearel run over half throttle, when going to a location sure to soeed up travel but not working the machine

Tazza

Staff member
We deal with Diesels every day, there are two schools of thought here, run them slower, low speed high torque, you don't have the same amount of oil pressure keeping your main and conrod bearings lubricated, we some time see crank damage due to people babying their machines, i don't know if that is them running is so slow that it constantly bogs down. The advantage is less fuel usage and in theory, longer life due to less sycles of the pistons in the bores.

The other side of it is, higher RPM you get better oil pressure, but you also burn more fuel and more piston cycles that will eventually wear the cylinders. In theory, less load on the bearings due to the higher speed of the pistons/con rods.

Ideally mid to high RPM is where you want it, but on my personal machine, i run it fairly low, but i don't work it really hard,

OP
OP
M

marko13

Thanks guys,
Speaking of fuel usage I forgot I was on E and moved a couple more loads and ran out yesterday.
Took two 5 gal cans and put about 4.5g in ea.
Emptied one in and about half way through the second it overflowed!
But when I turned on the key to look at the gauge it was barely 1/4

One site said 13 gal capacity another said 26
Either way how did it overflow on maybe 6 -7 gal and why the meter show 1/4?

Tazza

Staff member
It's possible your sender is bad or stuck, it's just a wiper and resistance wire to show the fuel level. I calibrated mine with an empty tank, took the sender out and bent the arm so when empty it was fully down and full it was right at the top.

OP
OP
M

marko13

well something beyond the sender and gauges is also different because I went from out of fuel to overflowing in 6-7 gals.

Markle

If I understand you correctly, you say you "ran out" of fuel…did engine die? (assumed out of fuel because gauge on Empty)…..adding fuel, it only took less than the 13 gallons required if empty. So why did it die if it had fuel? Is that where this is going? Ps, I see that 743 SN 16125 and newer have a rubber/plastic tube and pickup screen in the tank. That tube may be checked or broken off inside tank. The older 743s had the pickup integral with the sender (metal tube and screen).
there may coincidentally be an issue with the fuel gauge/sender system also. Like Tazza said, I'd pull the sender and ohm it while moving float slowly, looking for consistent smooth increase decrease in ohms….no dead spots…no jumps.

foton

I was taught years ago for fuel and engine life it is best to operate any engine between 2/3 and 3/4 of max rpm, you see this on tractors to get the 540 rpm on the pto you do not run at WOT it is less by several hundred rpm, of course this changes machine to machine.

OP
OP
M

marko13

Well dang, I thought I had it working. Ran short time the past couple days was working fine, then just now dug up a good bucket of dirt and while driving to where I wanted to dump it slowly petered out and died, like it had run out of fuel again.
I looked into tank w flashlight and it's only a couple inches below fill spout.
Will have to lift the cage and check out that tank/sender/fuel pickup lines i guess

brdgbldr

Well dang, I thought I had it working. Ran short time the past couple days was working fine, then just now dug up a good bucket of dirt and while driving to where I wanted to dump it slowly petered out and died, like it had run out of fuel again.
I looked into tank w flashlight and it's only a couple inches below fill spout.
Will have to lift the cage and check out that tank/sender/fuel pickup lines i guess
It sounds like your fuel pickup is clogging.

Try to pump or siphon some of the fuel out from the bottom of the tank to check it. You can get a cheep pump to hook up to a drill or also electric pumps.

oiu789

Do not use compressed air. There is a check ball in the tank and it it will not allow flow in that direction and it will blow apart the pickup
Use your mouth and try to blow in to the tank with the fuel cap off listen for air flow or bubbling from the tank. You could also set up your shop vac to blow in to the tank through the fill hole and see if fuel comes out to the supply hose. If air comes out your pickup tube needs fixed. I nothing comes out it could be plugged.

OP
OP
M

marko13

thanks to all who responded!
turned out to be the ubiquitous missing pickup tube.
replaced pickup and return w/ vinyl tube.
all is well again, but someday plan to remove and clean tank and get the old tube bits out
and possibly put a screen on the end of the pickup tube which now is just a brass barb fitting to keep it on the bottom.