743 quick-tach broken, ect.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
JD4440

JD4440

There's so much rust it may be a challenge to see them, grr.
I guess there's an access plate on the bottom I can remove to get all the mess from under the cab ? I see where those side panels go underneath but haven't looked at the actual machine to see what they uncover

Tazza

Staff member
I guess there's an access plate on the bottom I can remove to get all the mess from under the cab ? I see where those side panels go underneath but haven't looked at the actual machine to see what they uncover
The panels around the drive motors? yes you can, they can be a pain to get the 4 bolts, but it can be done. Makes washing it out much easier.

OP
OP
JD4440

JD4440

The panels around the drive motors? yes you can, they can be a pain to get the 4 bolts, but it can be done. Makes washing it out much easier.
Good deal. Used a qt. of Bobcat paint today and painted the cab, those panels, radiator cover, and the parts of the bucket I don't have to replace. Actually looks like someone took care of it now.

Tazza

Staff member
Good deal. Used a qt. of Bobcat paint today and painted the cab, those panels, radiator cover, and the parts of the bucket I don't have to replace. Actually looks like someone took care of it now.
Its amazing what a little paint can do. I hope you are taking pictures.

OP
OP
JD4440

JD4440

Its amazing what a little paint can do. I hope you are taking pictures.
I was so exited to begin I didn't get a pic when I pulled it out of the barn. I took one just after I washed it and a few once I was done painting. Rolled the bucket over today and filled the wedge area with WD-40. Hope soaking all week produces the results I'm looking for. The repair kits from Bobcat were $258 a side !!!

Tazza

Staff member
I was so exited to begin I didn't get a pic when I pulled it out of the barn. I took one just after I washed it and a few once I was done painting. Rolled the bucket over today and filled the wedge area with WD-40. Hope soaking all week produces the results I'm looking for. The repair kits from Bobcat were $258 a side !!!
Ouch.... What does the 258 get you? new pins and handles?

OP
OP
JD4440

JD4440

Ouch.... What does the 258 get you? new pins and handles?
Everything from handle and rubber guard to the wedge; bolts, nuts, washers and all. I priced it all separately and it was close to $350 IIRC without the handles .

Tazza

Staff member
Everything from handle and rubber guard to the wedge; bolts, nuts, washers and all. I priced it all separately and it was close to $350 IIRC without the handles .
Ouch.......
Like i said, they are very simple, if you get it out, give it a good buff and it should be good to go. They seem to hold up pretty well. Worst case, depending on rust, you may need a new bolt and spring.
If you still can't get it free, you may need to drop the bobtach too. The tilt ram pin and two pins on the sides. Get it off, flip it over so you have good access. Get in there and you can get heat and or pound it with a sledge hammer. Just be careful, the pins may be hardened. I have made this mistake before, hardened pin + hardened hammer = high speed shrapnel, i got hit in the knee, needed to use a strong magnet to dig it out..... Not my finest moment.

OP
OP
JD4440

JD4440

Ouch.......
Like i said, they are very simple, if you get it out, give it a good buff and it should be good to go. They seem to hold up pretty well. Worst case, depending on rust, you may need a new bolt and spring.
If you still can't get it free, you may need to drop the bobtach too. The tilt ram pin and two pins on the sides. Get it off, flip it over so you have good access. Get in there and you can get heat and or pound it with a sledge hammer. Just be careful, the pins may be hardened. I have made this mistake before, hardened pin + hardened hammer = high speed shrapnel, i got hit in the knee, needed to use a strong magnet to dig it out..... Not my finest moment.
All the parts are so rusted away I don't believe they'll ever move smoothly/correctly again. The holes are rusted out on the wedge and the bolts are rusted away to near nothing. Since I don't "need" this machine I think I'll let it soak in penetrant for another week each time if I can't get them out during the weekend. I might have a week or 2 enough patience for that. Guess I'll work on the seat bar this weekend. No real good way to get at it with penetrating oil and I need to figure out just where it needs to come apart. there's a bolt head on each end and a nut in the middle of that spring system. I need to replace my springs so I can get the seat bar system operating again. I don't like not having the safety stuff in place on this one. Still waiting on my thermostat and other bolt for the housing, seat bar springs and the new seat showed up today.

OP
OP
JD4440

JD4440

All the parts are so rusted away I don't believe they'll ever move smoothly/correctly again. The holes are rusted out on the wedge and the bolts are rusted away to near nothing. Since I don't "need" this machine I think I'll let it soak in penetrant for another week each time if I can't get them out during the weekend. I might have a week or 2 enough patience for that. Guess I'll work on the seat bar this weekend. No real good way to get at it with penetrating oil and I need to figure out just where it needs to come apart. there's a bolt head on each end and a nut in the middle of that spring system. I need to replace my springs so I can get the seat bar system operating again. I don't like not having the safety stuff in place on this one. Still waiting on my thermostat and other bolt for the housing, seat bar springs and the new seat showed up today.
Tried it today = no luck at all. I beat on both of them pretty good and the wedges didn't budge. Lowered the boom back down and added some diesel to the WD-40 mix. Try again next weekend I guess. On the plus side I finished all the gray paintwork and repaired the safety locks. Installed my new seat from loaderpartsource but it doesn't fit too well. It's so thick it doesn't let me slide back as far as the OE one did.

Tazza

Staff member
Tried it today = no luck at all. I beat on both of them pretty good and the wedges didn't budge. Lowered the boom back down and added some diesel to the WD-40 mix. Try again next weekend I guess. On the plus side I finished all the gray paintwork and repaired the safety locks. Installed my new seat from loaderpartsource but it doesn't fit too well. It's so thick it doesn't let me slide back as far as the OE one did.
Hopefully you will get them moving eventually....