743 no hydraulics

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

Just a note of encouragement gentlemen. I've done this fix twice on my 843. When you get those replacement u-joints from Bobcat (or another vendor) be sure to check the bolts that mate them together. The 1st u-joint I got, those came loose and the part failed (at idle thank goodness). I'd recommend pulling them out and using lock-tight. Also use lock-light on the bolts attaching the u-joint to the flywheel and the spline coupler. You can do this job but it's really helpful to have a fork-lift or loader to pull that engine. Good luck!
thanks for the info HanSolo! I have a cherry picker that I was planning on using to remove the engine

Tazza

Staff member
thanks for the info HanSolo! I have a cherry picker that I was planning on using to remove the engine
Loctite is indeed needed on the threads.
Nothing else comes to mind to work on while in there, unless your control block is leaking.
If the pump shaft is bent, you can replace it if you have mechanical abilities, it will be a big job though, you need to pull and dismantle part of the main hydrostatic pump.

Madbobcater743

Loctite is indeed needed on the threads.
Nothing else comes to mind to work on while in there, unless your control block is leaking.
If the pump shaft is bent, you can replace it if you have mechanical abilities, it will be a big job though, you need to pull and dismantle part of the main hydrostatic pump.
Thanks as well hans solo. I have a 255 ditchwitch with hydraulics that should help in getting the engine out.

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

Thanks as well hans solo. I have a 255 ditchwitch with hydraulics that should help in getting the engine out.
I got the engine pulled out, yep it was pretty easy, just unhook everything going to the engine. I used the cherry picker and lifted up on the engine a little and slid it right on out of the machine.

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

I got the engine pulled out, yep it was pretty easy, just unhook everything going to the engine. I used the cherry picker and lifted up on the engine a little and slid it right on out of the machine.
I have added photos to the 02 martys 743 album in photo section. it would not let me upload all of them for some reason! also i wonder why, in order to reply to this thread i have to preview first then return to edit mode before it lets me reply!

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

I have added photos to the 02 martys 743 album in photo section. it would not let me upload all of them for some reason! also i wonder why, in order to reply to this thread i have to preview first then return to edit mode before it lets me reply!
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/02%20martys%20743/14ujoint%20pics%20(1).JPG http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/02%20martys%20743/14ujoint%20pics%20(2).JPG http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/02%20martys%20743/14ujoint%20pics%20(3).JPG http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/02%20martys%20743/14ujoint%20pics%20(4).JPG http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/02%20martys%20743/14ujoint%20pics%20(5).JPG

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/02%20martys%20743/14ujoint%20pics%20(1).JPG http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/02%20martys%20743/14ujoint%20pics%20(2).JPG http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/02%20martys%20743/14ujoint%20pics%20(3).JPG http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/02%20martys%20743/14ujoint%20pics%20(4).JPG http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/02%20martys%20743/14ujoint%20pics%20(5).JPG
it looks like all the pics are in the album, but you have to use slide show to see them all

HanSolo

lets try this pic thing again lol.
Looks like a clean break. No bent fan blades that I can see and the shroud isn't too chewed up. Bad things happen when those u-joint pieces get flung around. Once you get the remainder of the joint off the pump you should be able to tell if the input shaft is bent. I suspect it's okay.

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

Looks like a clean break. No bent fan blades that I can see and the shroud isn't too chewed up. Bad things happen when those u-joint pieces get flung around. Once you get the remainder of the joint off the pump you should be able to tell if the input shaft is bent. I suspect it's okay.
good to hear, i need to buy the socket that takes those bolts out.

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

good to hear, i need to buy the socket that takes those bolts out.
HanSolo, should i be able to grab ahold of the remaining part on the bobcat and pull it off? I'm thinking it must be on a spline like a transmission!

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

HanSolo, should i be able to grab ahold of the remaining part on the bobcat and pull it off? I'm thinking it must be on a spline like a transmission!
yep I pulled it off the splines, and it looks great to me, straight as an arrow, no signs of being bent.

Madbobcater743

yep I pulled it off the splines, and it looks great to me, straight as an arrow, no signs of being bent.
Great pics man! Thank you so much for posting! Doesn't look to scary behind there! Thankfully the shaft is straight like you said! I assume there is some type of cylinder coupler that joins the engine > pump spline?

spitzair

Looks like you got lucky there with the clean break! Had the one on our 732 break many moons ago and it broke near the pump and of course vibrated around in there destroying many things in the process! Now we pull the engine once a year, if not more often, to grease the darn thing!

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

Looks like you got lucky there with the clean break! Had the one on our 732 break many moons ago and it broke near the pump and of course vibrated around in there destroying many things in the process! Now we pull the engine once a year, if not more often, to grease the darn thing!
from what I'm seeing, the u-joint system bolts to the engine and then you slide the whole thing onto the spline shaft of the hydraulic pump.

HanSolo

from what I'm seeing, the u-joint system bolts to the engine and then you slide the whole thing onto the spline shaft of the hydraulic pump.
Correct. I'm not seeing it in your photos but on my 843 there's a coupler on the pump side of the u-joint that slides over those splines. the trick is getting that to mate up when you slide the engine back in. Definitely a two man job.

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

Correct. I'm not seeing it in your photos but on my 843 there's a coupler on the pump side of the u-joint that slides over those splines. the trick is getting that to mate up when you slide the engine back in. Definitely a two man job.
the first pick above is what your referring too. under the u-joint you see is the part that slides over the splines on the pump shaft. I picked up the part today, 250 bucks for the u-joint assembly. I also picked up new filters and fluids. I hope your wrong about that two man job part lol. all I have is the wife and myself..

spitzair

the first pick above is what your referring too. under the u-joint you see is the part that slides over the splines on the pump shaft. I picked up the part today, 250 bucks for the u-joint assembly. I also picked up new filters and fluids. I hope your wrong about that two man job part lol. all I have is the wife and myself..
You can do it on your own with a lot of patience and some ratchet straps to pull the engine back as you align the drive coupling on the pump splines, but definitely easier to do with 2 people.

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

You can do it on your own with a lot of patience and some ratchet straps to pull the engine back as you align the drive coupling on the pump splines, but definitely easier to do with 2 people.
well it worked out great, I sat the engine back in and had the wife reach in from the front of the machine and hold the ujoint assembly up while I pushed the engine in until the ujoint was against the spline shaft. then I turned the crank shaft with a vise grip until the wife felt the splined shaft turning. then pushed the engine in until the motor mount holes lined up. its been running great. pretty easy fix actually.

Tazza

Staff member
well it worked out great, I sat the engine back in and had the wife reach in from the front of the machine and hold the ujoint assembly up while I pushed the engine in until the ujoint was against the spline shaft. then I turned the crank shaft with a vise grip until the wife felt the splined shaft turning. then pushed the engine in until the motor mount holes lined up. its been running great. pretty easy fix actually.
Good to hear it's working again, and some people think that pulling and re-installing the engine is hard till they actually give it a go :)
Now you know to keep the u-joints greased.