743 no hydraulics

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mkueffler

hello, I was moving snow when all the sudden a loud noise and a bunch of black particles flew into the cab. I have a cover diverting radiator heat into the cab. I thaught a belt blew, I checked and the belt is on the back of the engine. I lost all hydraulics, no bucket or steering action. its dead in the water the motor runs fine, but every now and then it makes a terrible noise like something is spinning and hitting something metal. so now its sitting in a big snow pile full of snow and I cant move it, what a day lol. can anyone please help

Madbobcater743

I just bought my machine thats a 743. I've been reading here and in the manuals. Here would be my guess. Your hydraulic pumps are shot. For your sake I hope I'm wrong. In the manual there is a way to Tow the machine by adding or removing a vlave. Not sure which. Tow it out of the bank and open her up and get in there. There are very helpful guys on here that will be able to help you out. As I'm just a n00b. Just to let you know Pictures help out a bunch.

Bobcatdan

I just bought my machine thats a 743. I've been reading here and in the manuals. Here would be my guess. Your hydraulic pumps are shot. For your sake I hope I'm wrong. In the manual there is a way to Tow the machine by adding or removing a vlave. Not sure which. Tow it out of the bank and open her up and get in there. There are very helpful guys on here that will be able to help you out. As I'm just a n00b. Just to let you know Pictures help out a bunch.
The U joint between the engine and hydro let go. May not be too bad, but worse case the the hydro input shaft got bent. Flip the cab and look under the tanks, you should just be able to see it. Problem is since they are hard to get at, nobody ever greases them.

Madbobcater743

The U joint between the engine and hydro let go. May not be too bad, but worse case the the hydro input shaft got bent. Flip the cab and look under the tanks, you should just be able to see it. Problem is since they are hard to get at, nobody ever greases them.
Hey DAn- Any chance you could point me to a thread where some pictures are available of a repair on the Ujoint? There are a lot to search through.

Bobcatdan

Hey DAn- Any chance you could point me to a thread where some pictures are available of a repair on the Ujoint? There are a lot to search through.
I don't know of any off hand. While it has been discussed many times here, I can't think of one with good pictures. To replace the U Joint, pull the engine. That is about the one thing on a 40 series that is easy to do. The U Joint hub is bolted to the engine and just slides on the hydro. With the engine out, remove and replace. Then fix any other damage from it flopping around.

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

I don't know of any off hand. While it has been discussed many times here, I can't think of one with good pictures. To replace the U Joint, pull the engine. That is about the one thing on a 40 series that is easy to do. The U Joint hub is bolted to the engine and just slides on the hydro. With the engine out, remove and replace. Then fix any other damage from it flopping around.
I talked to local bobcat mechanic, he said the same thing about the u-joint. I know I have never greased it I wonder what the u-joint cost? they are talking about a 1000 bucks for labor to fix.

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

I talked to local bobcat mechanic, he said the same thing about the u-joint. I know I have never greased it I wonder what the u-joint cost? they are talking about a 1000 bucks for labor to fix.
I wonder what the ujoint costs? they want a 1000 bucks for labor to fix it

Madbobcater743

Can't say, but the U Joint is a actually a series of three stacked together. $1000 sounds like a pretty good price.
mkeuffler- Hey if you tackle the repair yourself, Could you possibly take a few pictures of the repair. As I have stated I have the same machine and plan on restoring a lot of it and getting it back up to snuff. If it was me and I would get it fixed for 1000$, I would just do it. Honestly the price seems kind of low for where I live and actually got quoted 1500$ + @ my local dealer.

Tazza

Staff member
mkeuffler- Hey if you tackle the repair yourself, Could you possibly take a few pictures of the repair. As I have stated I have the same machine and plan on restoring a lot of it and getting it back up to snuff. If it was me and I would get it fixed for 1000$, I would just do it. Honestly the price seems kind of low for where I live and actually got quoted 1500$ + @ my local dealer.
If you have the gear you can do it your self. The two u-joints will run you about $100 each.
You need to get the engine out to see what the damage is. Hopefully it is just the u-joints, but as mentioned already, the pump shaft may have been bent or broken. No way to know till you check it.
To remove the engine is pretty easy. 4 bolts, radiator hoses, throttle linkage/stop cable. Wires, exhaust and inlet hoses.
Lift up and pull out.

OP
OP
mkueffler

mkueffler

If you have the gear you can do it your self. The two u-joints will run you about $100 each.
You need to get the engine out to see what the damage is. Hopefully it is just the u-joints, but as mentioned already, the pump shaft may have been bent or broken. No way to know till you check it.
To remove the engine is pretty easy. 4 bolts, radiator hoses, throttle linkage/stop cable. Wires, exhaust and inlet hoses.
Lift up and pull out.
yep, I will take pictures. as I plan on pulling it apart and fixing it myself. I got it pulled into the shop tonight. hopefully the only damage is the ujoints. if the shafts are damaged or seals, how big a job is that to replace? is there anything else a guy should look at or service while the engine is out?

Bobcatdan

yep, I will take pictures. as I plan on pulling it apart and fixing it myself. I got it pulled into the shop tonight. hopefully the only damage is the ujoints. if the shafts are damaged or seals, how big a job is that to replace? is there anything else a guy should look at or service while the engine is out?
If the shaft is bent, pull the hydro and take it to a good hydraulic shop as the pump has to come pretty much apart.

Madbobcater743

madbobcater, I started an album in the photo gallery called 02 martys 743, ujoint repair. it will most likely by the first week in January before I tear into this.
Thanks a ton! With the way my 743 is I know I will be really getting into those repairs sometime soon. Thank you so much I will check out the thread! Merry Christmass!

HanSolo

madbobcater, I started an album in the photo gallery called 02 martys 743, ujoint repair. it will most likely by the first week in January before I tear into this.
Just a note of encouragement gentlemen. I've done this fix twice on my 843. When you get those replacement u-joints from Bobcat (or another vendor) be sure to check the bolts that mate them together. The 1st u-joint I got, those came loose and the part failed (at idle thank goodness). I'd recommend pulling them out and using lock-tight. Also use lock-light on the bolts attaching the u-joint to the flywheel and the spline coupler. You can do this job but it's really helpful to have a fork-lift or loader to pull that engine. Good luck!