743 Bobcat shuts down

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

grumpy350

We have an older 743 machine as you are running it the motor shuts down and and you lose all functions of the machine ( it will almost throw you out of seat). If you turn the key off and restart the machine sometimes it will run sometimes not. By lifting up the safety bar and putting back in the lock position the machine will run fine until you hit a few bumps and the machine will shut down again. any idea what needs to be changed to stop this problem??

Bobcatdan

Does it just stop or does it slowly bog down?
Broken wire to the fuel shutoff solenoid. Only thing that could shut it off. A 743 has no form of protective shutdown. Nor does it care at all about the seat bar.

Tazza

Staff member
It stops like you ran into a wall. everything is fine, it seems to happen more when you are traveling over rough surfaces
Is it a 743, or a 743B?
The B has electric fuel shut off, so turn the key off and it stops. If it has one, this could indeed be the issue of a bad wire or bad solenoid/out of adjustment.

Bobcatdan

Just a shot in the dark, broken fuel hose in the tank?
If the OP post back its an older unit with a manual shut off, a problem with the fuel supply would be the most likely. But if I read right, it starts back up fine which would be strange. If it sucked air and died, I would think the system would need to be primed to restart. Another thought is the engine is tired. He is accidentally bumping the aux on and the engine can't handle the load.

OP
OP
G

grumpy350

If the OP post back its an older unit with a manual shut off, a problem with the fuel supply would be the most likely. But if I read right, it starts back up fine which would be strange. If it sucked air and died, I would think the system would need to be primed to restart. Another thought is the engine is tired. He is accidentally bumping the aux on and the engine can't handle the load.
The way the machine stops and restarts I don't think its fuel. IS there a safety sensor for the seat or safety bar? Sometimes when you restart the machine you can't move the bucket or the machine, the only way I can get it running again is push the safety bar up and slam it back to the lock position.

Bobcatdan

The way the machine stops and restarts I don't think its fuel. IS there a safety sensor for the seat or safety bar? Sometimes when you restart the machine you can't move the bucket or the machine, the only way I can get it running again is push the safety bar up and slam it back to the lock position.
All the safety bar does is push on the pedal locks. No electrical connection on it all. The machine doesn't know it exist. Even on newer machine, the seat bar has nothing to do with the starting or engine system at all. Is yours a B with a electric fuel solenoid or not.

OP
OP
G

grumpy350

All the safety bar does is push on the pedal locks. No electrical connection on it all. The machine doesn't know it exist. Even on newer machine, the seat bar has nothing to do with the starting or engine system at all. Is yours a B with a electric fuel solenoid or not.
Thanks for the reply... no the machine is not a B, As I stated the machine starts right up after this happens. you can move the machine or use any bucket functions, until we move the safety bar. I know this is weird but it's the only way to get the machine to operate.

Bobcatdan

Thanks for the reply... no the machine is not a B, As I stated the machine starts right up after this happens. you can move the machine or use any bucket functions, until we move the safety bar. I know this is weird but it's the only way to get the machine to operate.
The seatbar has nothing to do with the brake, that is the center pedal on the floor, that is released, the machine will drive all day long no matter what the seat bar is doing. I'm thinking something is going on with the hydraulic system that is snubbing the engine. Is the hydraulic warning light coming on at all?

OP
OP
G

grumpy350

The seatbar has nothing to do with the brake, that is the center pedal on the floor, that is released, the machine will drive all day long no matter what the seat bar is doing. I'm thinking something is going on with the hydraulic system that is snubbing the engine. Is the hydraulic warning light coming on at all?
Thanks for all the replys...none of the lights come on when this happens. I spoke with someone today and they said there is a seat sensor, I'm not familar with this. if there is one can that be our problem?

Bobcatdan

Thanks for all the replys...none of the lights come on when this happens. I spoke with someone today and they said there is a seat sensor, I'm not familar with this. if there is one can that be our problem?
743 don't have a seat sensor.

Tazza

Staff member
743 don't have a seat sensor.
As Dan has been saying, the 743 is a very basic machine, no electronics at all, no safety interlock, just manual barriers.
Can you get a picture of the machine to ensure it is indeed a 743? Is the engine inline? as in can you see the front pulley sticking out the back or is the engine side ways so the injector pump is facing the door?

7LBSSMALLIE

KEEP IT SIMPLE does the unit tend to creep when hands are off lever s would suspect a chain rollining up on sprocket ? is the belly pan dimpled? as in look under unit is belly pan bulged out that would indicative of chains bunchinig up on sprockets.

OP
OP
G

grumpy350

KEEP IT SIMPLE does the unit tend to creep when hands are off lever s would suspect a chain rollining up on sprocket ? is the belly pan dimpled? as in look under unit is belly pan bulged out that would indicative of chains bunchinig up on sprockets.
It does creep when it at an idle

Tazza

Staff member
It does creep when it at an idle
To Adjust the steering: http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Steering Adjustment.jpg

Steering%20Adjustment.jpg