731 Aux Hrydraulics?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jerry

The right hand steering lever moves sideways to control the aux. If you push it firmly to the right it should go into detent position giving you continuous flow. If it does not move sideways check down toward the base of the lever there is a place where a locking bolt can be dropped in.

OP
OP
DigitalFusion

DigitalFusion

The right hand steering lever moves sideways to control the aux. If you push it firmly to the right it should go into detent position giving you continuous flow. If it does not move sideways check down toward the base of the lever there is a place where a locking bolt can be dropped in.
thanks - there was a bolt thru it.

OP
OP
DigitalFusion

DigitalFusion

thanks - there was a bolt thru it.
I should back up...
I asked about this because my hydraulics are slooow. The arms raise pretty well, and come down pretty fast, the bucket is pretty slow. I noticed that over the last few days or so the aux hydraulic coupler seemed to be leaking out a little bit, so I figured perhaps they were engaged somehow. I pulled the seat pan and found there was a new looking bolt there that was really loose, allowing the right lever to slop around a bit. I tightened it up, but am not really sure where it is supposed to be at.
I also noticed that it looks like there is a leak somewhere near or under the control block thing (the square box on top). Can one remove this control block without relieving pressure in the system? Is there a gasket or o-ring or something under it that could be leaking? Are there any other places in particular I should be checking for leaks?

OP
OP
DigitalFusion

DigitalFusion

I should back up...
I asked about this because my hydraulics are slooow. The arms raise pretty well, and come down pretty fast, the bucket is pretty slow. I noticed that over the last few days or so the aux hydraulic coupler seemed to be leaking out a little bit, so I figured perhaps they were engaged somehow. I pulled the seat pan and found there was a new looking bolt there that was really loose, allowing the right lever to slop around a bit. I tightened it up, but am not really sure where it is supposed to be at.
I also noticed that it looks like there is a leak somewhere near or under the control block thing (the square box on top). Can one remove this control block without relieving pressure in the system? Is there a gasket or o-ring or something under it that could be leaking? Are there any other places in particular I should be checking for leaks?
its parked for the night, so I moved the bucket all the way up and raised the lift arms a bit. Right now the edge of the bucket is 18" off the ground. If I wake up tomorrow, and it has dropped, that will tell me if its leaking, right? Will that only tell me if the rams are leaking tho?

Tazza

Staff member
its parked for the night, so I moved the bucket all the way up and raised the lift arms a bit. Right now the edge of the bucket is 18" off the ground. If I wake up tomorrow, and it has dropped, that will tell me if its leaking, right? Will that only tell me if the rams are leaking tho?
The leak under the control block may be the hose, its a pig to get out!!!!
All rams will leak down, an acceptable amount is a few inches per hour. If it doesn't drop say 2" per minute, don't worry about it.
The 731 used a control block that has load checks with a stack of O rings, if the bucket leaks down, it could be the seals in your load checks. Mine were in a horrible state, replaced them and it was perfect.

mrfixitpaul

I should back up...
I think the block you are talking about is the port block on top of the pump. I've never removed one but am sure someone else will chime in.

Tazza

Staff member
I think the block you are talking about is the port block on top of the pump. I've never removed one but am sure someone else will chime in.
You are rite, thats the port block. You can remove this, but its not real simple. Remove the nut on the top then you will need to fabricate a tool to un-do the nut on the bottom. Its like a slotted bolt, you'll see. Even a piece of flat bar may work here. You don't need to release any pressure, but you will need to plug your oil reserve hose or it will simply pour out. When poking around, remove the middle hose and fitting on the left of this block. Replace or clean the bronze filter.

OP
OP
DigitalFusion

DigitalFusion

You are rite, thats the port block. You can remove this, but its not real simple. Remove the nut on the top then you will need to fabricate a tool to un-do the nut on the bottom. Its like a slotted bolt, you'll see. Even a piece of flat bar may work here. You don't need to release any pressure, but you will need to plug your oil reserve hose or it will simply pour out. When poking around, remove the middle hose and fitting on the left of this block. Replace or clean the bronze filter.
Well after an hour, maybe more, the arms and bucket dropped about 8-9" total between the two of them. Leak down isnt really my complaint, its the very slow action of the hydraulics, the bucket tilt in particular.
The port block seems loose to me. Like I can grab it and wiggle it a little bit. It looks wet under it to. Is there fluid running in/out of the part block towards the bottom where it mounts or does it just go in and out via the visable hoses?

mrfixitpaul

Well after an hour, maybe more, the arms and bucket dropped about 8-9" total between the two of them. Leak down isnt really my complaint, its the very slow action of the hydraulics, the bucket tilt in particular.
The port block seems loose to me. Like I can grab it and wiggle it a little bit. It looks wet under it to. Is there fluid running in/out of the part block towards the bottom where it mounts or does it just go in and out via the visable hoses?
I'd check for worn or loose linkage for the lift/tilt pedals, check that the control valve mounting bolts are tight, check that the pivot under the pump for the cross linkage isn't too worn. Any of these can affect the speed of the functions

OP
OP
DigitalFusion

DigitalFusion

I'd check for worn or loose linkage for the lift/tilt pedals, check that the control valve mounting bolts are tight, check that the pivot under the pump for the cross linkage isn't too worn. Any of these can affect the speed of the functions
I just timed the tilt function (cold fluid, first start of the day)
  • Full up to full down: 3.5 seconds
  • Full down to full up: 2 seconds
The specs for function are supposed to be:
  • Up to down: 2 seconds
  • down to up: 1 second
Perhaps it is just too much play in the linkages, not allowing me to full engauge the functions as paul is thinking?

Tazza

Staff member
I just timed the tilt function (cold fluid, first start of the day)

Full up to full down: 3.5 seconds
Full down to full up: 2 seconds

The specs for function are supposed to be:

Up to down: 2 seconds
down to up: 1 second

Perhaps it is just too much play in the linkages, not allowing me to full engauge the functions as paul is thinking?
Fluid enters the pump through the port block from the back. It then goes into the pump through a hole you will see when you remove that bolt on the block. It should not be loose, you need to remove it and replace the O ring and tighten it up, you should have no problems then.