642 won' start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Designer

I was using my bobcat 642 to move gravel, I was going up a grade on a right-of-way when it stopped. Cranking it over it had on sign of life and I was then blocking traffic. I hocked another piece of equipment to it and drug it 50ft to get off the road. Later I found coil wire had fell off but now it will not crank over. When I pulled it 50ft up the grade I then used the starter to drive the pump to back the unit back off the road, it cranked a couple of times then locked up and then had to be pushed off the road, where it still sets. I put a new battery on it and the fan belt moved about an inch. I took the starter off but it was good, I pulled the spark plugs still nothing.. What damage could I have done by pulling without opening the relieft valve?

Tazza

Staff member
You shouldn't have damaged your pumps.
You haven't locked your aux hydraulics in at all? make sure your park brake is off so your not fighting your hydrostats if they aren't quite centre.

OP
OP
D

Designer

You shouldn't have damaged your pumps.
You haven't locked your aux hydraulics in at all? make sure your park brake is off so your not fighting your hydrostats if they aren't quite centre.
I'll check those items. but it will be this weekend before I can get back to it. The Aux hydraulics has a bolt to stop it from engaging. The brakes might be a problem, but I got to go inside the transmission case to find out, a while back the brakes went from holding, to nothing, like to disk were not there anymore. I moved the steering levers back and forth to see if that would releace any thing and moved the foot petals up and down and that did drop the bucket. I'm thinking I might have bent the engine crankshaft somehow, I'll try to turn it with a breaker bar this weekend. Thanks for your sugestions. James Kiser

Tazza

Staff member
I'll check those items. but it will be this weekend before I can get back to it. The Aux hydraulics has a bolt to stop it from engaging. The brakes might be a problem, but I got to go inside the transmission case to find out, a while back the brakes went from holding, to nothing, like to disk were not there anymore. I moved the steering levers back and forth to see if that would releace any thing and moved the foot petals up and down and that did drop the bucket. I'm thinking I might have bent the engine crankshaft somehow, I'll try to turn it with a breaker bar this weekend. Thanks for your sugestions. James Kiser
I would doubt you would have bent your crank, your starter doesn't have more power than the engine does. It sounds like hydraulic lock, but you removed your plugs so it can't be that.
Moving the machine with just the starter wasn't a great idea, but the worst i could see it doing would be burning the starter out..... Hopefully its just a problem with the starter fouling up on something? You did day it spins off the machine, but it may have worn out something that located the gear to the ring gear on the engine. *shrug*
Good luck!