610 hydraulic valves

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Beekeeper

I removed the hydraulic valves and took then to a hydraulic shop for checking out. The shop informed me that the spools were very bad and in fact said that there was not a lot they could do to repair. Is there anyone out there that can rebuild these valves and what would you do in this situation? Main concern are the tilt and main valve that are mounted on the plate just above the reservoir. Beekeeper

Tazza

Staff member
What was wrong with them? is there rust on the spools? It's pretty rare to be able to wear out spools. They can be damaged by rust gouging them up though.

6brnorma

What was wrong with them? is there rust on the spools? It's pretty rare to be able to wear out spools. They can be damaged by rust gouging them up though.
Tazza….the way it was explained to me was that (all 600 series machines, not just this one) the spools are pitted and no longer made by Gresen/Parker. They are 40 year old valves that never came with boots to protect the spools and were exposed to fertilizer, chemicals, manure, snow/salt, etc. Do not throw the old valves away as they do have some 'core' value to someone who knows how to remanufacture them. It isn't cheap.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza….the way it was explained to me was that (all 600 series machines, not just this one) the spools are pitted and no longer made by Gresen/Parker. They are 40 year old valves that never came with boots to protect the spools and were exposed to fertilizer, chemicals, manure, snow/salt, etc. Do not throw the old valves away as they do have some 'core' value to someone who knows how to remanufacture them. It isn't cheap.
Sounds like the style that my 731 had, muiltiple valve blocks that were stacked together.
I remember a member that had an issue like this, he wire brushed all the rust spots out of the spool then used JB weld and filed/machined it back to round. He said it worked very well, if you can't get hold of a new valve, could this be an option?

6brnorma

Sounds like the style that my 731 had, muiltiple valve blocks that were stacked together.
I remember a member that had an issue like this, he wire brushed all the rust spots out of the spool then used JB weld and filed/machined it back to round. He said it worked very well, if you can't get hold of a new valve, could this be an option?
We discussed this exact procedure and he said it was an option but not a very good one and I don't recall why exactly he didn't feel that it was not a good one. I personally would be pretty tempted to try it at least once before spending $500.00 and change to have spools "re-chromed". "IF" however, I had to turn right around and pull that entire valve assembly because the JB Weld 'fix' didn't work, I'd probably have a much different attitude.

Tazza

Staff member
We discussed this exact procedure and he said it was an option but not a very good one and I don't recall why exactly he didn't feel that it was not a good one. I personally would be pretty tempted to try it at least once before spending $500.00 and change to have spools "re-chromed". "IF" however, I had to turn right around and pull that entire valve assembly because the JB Weld 'fix' didn't work, I'd probably have a much different attitude.
I know what you mean.... How far do you go?
As long as it's cleaned really well, i'd think the JB weld would work, it's only a sealing surface, nothing under high load. With that said, i have never tried it, and would like it to be right if it was my machine.

7LBSSMALLIE

I know what you mean.... How far do you go?
As long as it's cleaned really well, i'd think the JB weld would work, it's only a sealing surface, nothing under high load. With that said, i have never tried it, and would like it to be right if it was my machine.
guys you kno w me? is this a piggy bank. keep throwin money at. it. or cut youre losses and move on. coming from a guy in the midst of a 76 triumph bonney rebuild. yea when I get done I got something. and can still get parts. don't mean to rain. but putting 500 let alone two grand into a unit that's worth maybe 1200 if it starts runs lifts and picks. yea its cool but has no value.

6brnorma

guys you kno w me? is this a piggy bank. keep throwin money at. it. or cut youre losses and move on. coming from a guy in the midst of a 76 triumph bonney rebuild. yea when I get done I got something. and can still get parts. don't mean to rain. but putting 500 let alone two grand into a unit that's worth maybe 1200 if it starts runs lifts and picks. yea its cool but has no value.
MALLIE…….you have stated your position on these machines several times and I would agree with you in many situations, however, in the business and profile that we use them, they are one of the best machines ever made. The new style (popular) machine in the industry is running about 40K. It would cost at least 10K for someone in the industry to purchase one of my machines as they currently sit. I know a man running 25 M-610s in this industry (exactly like mine) and at a 30K savings per unit, that's $750,000.00 ………….. in my little world…..that's value. It would be silly for someone to sell a running/operating M-610 for $1200 when only four parts from it would bring 3-4K if they are in decent condition. Again, in many cases it would be easy to spend too much on one of these machines but I think you under value them to some degree.

Tazza

Staff member
MALLIE…….you have stated your position on these machines several times and I would agree with you in many situations, however, in the business and profile that we use them, they are one of the best machines ever made. The new style (popular) machine in the industry is running about 40K. It would cost at least 10K for someone in the industry to purchase one of my machines as they currently sit. I know a man running 25 M-610s in this industry (exactly like mine) and at a 30K savings per unit, that's $750,000.00 ………….. in my little world…..that's value. It would be silly for someone to sell a running/operating M-610 for $1200 when only four parts from it would bring 3-4K if they are in decent condition. Again, in many cases it would be easy to spend too much on one of these machines but I think you under value them to some degree.
I guess another way of looking at it is not what it's worth if you sold it, it's what it's worth to you. You have no plans on selling it, you plan of using it, so it's worth more to you.

Tigerhaze

FYI, in my area of the Midwest a running M-610 rarely goes for less than $2K and usually will go for at least $2500 at auction and more if a private sale.

gearbox

FYI, in my area of the Midwest a running M-610 rarely goes for less than $2K and usually will go for at least $2500 at auction and more if a private sale.
Just load up a semi load of them 600 610 series for 1200 I will buy every one you can come up with. I can sell any runner for $3000 to 4000. Gearbox

Burl

I know i'm a bit late to the game here ,but I grind them (spools) down here and have built back up hard chrome to over the size of the reworked I.D.s of body if needed . Then grind chromed spool to fit . I also do hyd. rams/pistons the same way and same with worn pivot pins and sutch . good luck my friends and check into a local grind shop, or industrial hard chrome shop for local details . I am in Akron Ohio myself