610 - A couple of questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bob_D

OK, so I got my 610 home the other day and this past weekend I had cause to put it to work. I had four ~8 foot cherry logs about 14" in diameter to unload and the 610 came in handy. So since this is the first time I operated other than loading on and off the trailer to get it home I noticed some oil drops on the driveway. I looked at all the hydraulic cylinders and hoses that I could see and there are no signs of leaks, so I am thinking it is either from the engine or the drive chains and since the oil appears to be pretty clean I am thinking the drive chains. Looking underneath I didn't see any leaks that popped right out and made themselves known, so I put a sheet of plastic under the machine once I parked it in the garage and will check it to see if that helps me determine the location of the leaks. So since my manual has not made its way to me yet I will ask some dumb questions; 1. What is the normal oil level for the drive chains? Is there a level gauge or window to view the level? I have not found one. 2. When I removed one the 4 big clutch adjustment hex caps I got a little oil out of there. Is that normal or indicative of too much oil. It seeped and did not stop in the half minute or so that I had the cap off. 3. The sticks or control levers are pretty sloppy. But it seems to be more in the connection of the levers to the shaft in the cab than worn or sloppy linkage elsewhere. I can move the levers fore and aft a couple inches and it does not appear the that shaft rotates at all. The clamp bolts are tight so I am wondering if the previous operator was a little heavy handed and applied more force than necessary and has stripped out the splines on the end of the shaft (I'm assuming that the end of the shaft is splined...is it?).

6brnorma

Bob, Most of this will be answered when you get your manual but I'll give you some quick answers. I've never owned a 600/610 that didn't leak......at least some. There are a million places for it to develop leaks but a couple of the most common are the axel seals #1 and the clutch shafts #2. The clutch shafts are connected on the inside walls using lead washers that fail after some time. If you're not losing "lots" I wouldn't worry about it imo. Hydro level: left side of machine, exterior wall between tires are two 3/8" plugs (or whatever size)......pull the top one, if it overflows your full....pull the lower one and if it doesn't over flow you're low. Clutch cap: Worry if there is no oil in the cap when you pull it.....you want oil everywhere inside that chain case. Levers: very common problem, if the play is forward and backward....you will adjust (per manual), if it is side to side, you'll probably need to replace the splined shaft and handle (about $150.00 per). They are something that should be maintained or the shaft will back into one of the main chains throwing nice little metal shavings into your hydro reservoir. Also, you asked a while back about a safety seat bar, I see one in the parts book but have never seen a 610 with one on it. And the brakes you asked about......some machines had them (very few) but mostly......just use your bucket.

OP
OP
B

Bob_D

Bob, Most of this will be answered when you get your manual but I'll give you some quick answers. I've never owned a 600/610 that didn't leak......at least some. There are a million places for it to develop leaks but a couple of the most common are the axel seals #1 and the clutch shafts #2. The clutch shafts are connected on the inside walls using lead washers that fail after some time. If you're not losing "lots" I wouldn't worry about it imo. Hydro level: left side of machine, exterior wall between tires are two 3/8" plugs (or whatever size)......pull the top one, if it overflows your full....pull the lower one and if it doesn't over flow you're low. Clutch cap: Worry if there is no oil in the cap when you pull it.....you want oil everywhere inside that chain case. Levers: very common problem, if the play is forward and backward....you will adjust (per manual), if it is side to side, you'll probably need to replace the splined shaft and handle (about $150.00 per). They are something that should be maintained or the shaft will back into one of the main chains throwing nice little metal shavings into your hydro reservoir. Also, you asked a while back about a safety seat bar, I see one in the parts book but have never seen a 610 with one on it. And the brakes you asked about......some machines had them (very few) but mostly......just use your bucket.
Thanks for answering my questions Larry. I should make it over to the dealer and pick up the seat belt and manual today unless something more pressing pops up. Its a 45 mile drive one way and there is nothing else in that direction where I would normally go so it becomes a special trip. Anyway, hyd oil level is good (right there at the top plug) and oil is clean. I guess my next step before I run it too much is to eliminate the loose levers and service the engine (filters and oil change, lube, etc.) so I know where I am starting for sure in the maintenance schedule. I saw online a nylon cab enclosure ($349) which looked like it might be worth it for running in bad WX and cold. Something to keep the rain and wind off would be nice. Anyone used one of these and care to offer an opinion on their quality or durability?

6brnorma

Thanks for answering my questions Larry. I should make it over to the dealer and pick up the seat belt and manual today unless something more pressing pops up. Its a 45 mile drive one way and there is nothing else in that direction where I would normally go so it becomes a special trip. Anyway, hyd oil level is good (right there at the top plug) and oil is clean. I guess my next step before I run it too much is to eliminate the loose levers and service the engine (filters and oil change, lube, etc.) so I know where I am starting for sure in the maintenance schedule. I saw online a nylon cab enclosure ($349) which looked like it might be worth it for running in bad WX and cold. Something to keep the rain and wind off would be nice. Anyone used one of these and care to offer an opinion on their quality or durability?
Glad I could help. Something to consider......the dealer I use is in another state, 600 miles away....simply because they still have a couple of parts men and one mechanic that are familiar with these old machines. No dealer has these parts in stock any more and trying to describe them to the parts man is impossible with out literally sitting behind his counter and looking at the schematic together. I would recommend finding a parts manual ..... that way you can call and give him parts numbers and in most cases they can be shipped directly to you UPS. If you need any help with numbers in the mean time, let me know and I'll PM them to you. From your description of the levers, it sounds like you may need to replace them and the splined shafts.

OP
OP
B

Bob_D

Glad I could help. Something to consider......the dealer I use is in another state, 600 miles away....simply because they still have a couple of parts men and one mechanic that are familiar with these old machines. No dealer has these parts in stock any more and trying to describe them to the parts man is impossible with out literally sitting behind his counter and looking at the schematic together. I would recommend finding a parts manual ..... that way you can call and give him parts numbers and in most cases they can be shipped directly to you UPS. If you need any help with numbers in the mean time, let me know and I'll PM them to you. From your description of the levers, it sounds like you may need to replace them and the splined shafts.
I picked up my new seat belt today along with the manuals. I now have the parts manual and the service manual. I like having the parts manual if only for the exploded drawings which are usually better than those you find in the service manual on equipment of this vintage. Yes, that's another reason I bought the parts manual so I could look up the part numbers myself and be better able to describe what I need when ordering. I will probably have parts shipped and save the time and fuel to the shop. 90 miles round trip for a filter or gasket is not cost effective or time well spent. Anyway, an exception to my comment above is that I can find nothing that shows where the seat belt is supposed to be secured to the frame. The parts manual says to order two spring bars along with the seat belt which I did. No instructions came with the belt and since it my machine has apparently not had a belt in a very long time there is no evidence of where it should be. The service manual doesn't touch the subject of the seat belt. Flipping up the seat there are a couple of bolts on each side that could be considered in about the right place but the bolt spacing does not line up with the two bolt holes in the spring bar or either end of the belt. I don't see a way to post photos to this forum or I would put one up showing what I am talking about. I also see in the parts book a lift arm support and mounting bracket. The operators manual does not mention the lift arm support and I don't see any precautions to ensure it is installed when working on hydraulics in the service manual, seems strange to me. I was thinking of making my own, easy enough to cut a piece of channel the right size that will work, and add provision for a pin to secure it to the piston rod so it can't fall off or be accidentally removed.

RonAus

I picked up my new seat belt today along with the manuals. I now have the parts manual and the service manual. I like having the parts manual if only for the exploded drawings which are usually better than those you find in the service manual on equipment of this vintage. Yes, that's another reason I bought the parts manual so I could look up the part numbers myself and be better able to describe what I need when ordering. I will probably have parts shipped and save the time and fuel to the shop. 90 miles round trip for a filter or gasket is not cost effective or time well spent. Anyway, an exception to my comment above is that I can find nothing that shows where the seat belt is supposed to be secured to the frame. The parts manual says to order two spring bars along with the seat belt which I did. No instructions came with the belt and since it my machine has apparently not had a belt in a very long time there is no evidence of where it should be. The service manual doesn't touch the subject of the seat belt. Flipping up the seat there are a couple of bolts on each side that could be considered in about the right place but the bolt spacing does not line up with the two bolt holes in the spring bar or either end of the belt. I don't see a way to post photos to this forum or I would put one up showing what I am talking about. I also see in the parts book a lift arm support and mounting bracket. The operators manual does not mention the lift arm support and I don't see any precautions to ensure it is installed when working on hydraulics in the service manual, seems strange to me. I was thinking of making my own, easy enough to cut a piece of channel the right size that will work, and add provision for a pin to secure it to the piston rod so it can't fall off or be accidentally removed.
Hi, I do not know how close you might be to another machine Similar to yours but if you could find one, go and have a look see as to how the belt and lift arms are fitted. My machine is 1 hour round trip otherwise I would post a pic for you. I am sure that someone who knows will answer before I can post a pic though.

OP
OP
B

Bob_D

Hi, I do not know how close you might be to another machine Similar to yours but if you could find one, go and have a look see as to how the belt and lift arms are fitted. My machine is 1 hour round trip otherwise I would post a pic for you. I am sure that someone who knows will answer before I can post a pic though.
Thanks Ron. I have not seen a 600 series machine other than this one before. Not that I remember anyway in the past 5 or so years. No one near me that I know has a Bobcat this old, most are running equipment built in the past dozen years, not an antique built in 1980 like mine. :) Yes, If I could get an eyeball on one that would be great. There are probably a bunch of other things I could gain insight on that you just can't learn from looking at drawings in the manual. I search for photos on the web just to see what I can see to help me determine what my machine might be missing or what might be lacking something. For instance, my 610 has only a single instrument cluster on the left side that has minimal gauges, an ammeter and an idiot light for low oil pressure...that's it. But I see that there are others with another instrument pod on the right side. Don't know if these are for the 611 (diesel powered) version or maybe the electric powered model.

hilljacknm

Thanks Ron. I have not seen a 600 series machine other than this one before. Not that I remember anyway in the past 5 or so years. No one near me that I know has a Bobcat this old, most are running equipment built in the past dozen years, not an antique built in 1980 like mine. :) Yes, If I could get an eyeball on one that would be great. There are probably a bunch of other things I could gain insight on that you just can't learn from looking at drawings in the manual. I search for photos on the web just to see what I can see to help me determine what my machine might be missing or what might be lacking something. For instance, my 610 has only a single instrument cluster on the left side that has minimal gauges, an ammeter and an idiot light for low oil pressure...that's it. But I see that there are others with another instrument pod on the right side. Don't know if these are for the 611 (diesel powered) version or maybe the electric powered model.
I'm still running a 610. The seat belt on mine looks like it came out of a car. It's bolted to the plate under the seat. The instrument pod on the right side is an hour meter. Will try to help, if you have any more questions.

red56turbo

I'm still running a 610. The seat belt on mine looks like it came out of a car. It's bolted to the plate under the seat. The instrument pod on the right side is an hour meter. Will try to help, if you have any more questions.
The seat belt on my 610 bolts to the two stabilizer bars running from the main frame back to the upper stanchions.

red56turbo

The seat belt on my 610 bolts to the two stabilizer bars running from the main frame back to the upper stanchions.
Oops, sorry for the double post. Don't know how to edit. My 610 has the right sided instrument panel as well. One gauge for the hours, one for the vacuum for the hydraulic filter.

OP
OP
B

Bob_D

Oops, sorry for the double post. Don't know how to edit. My 610 has the right sided instrument panel as well. One gauge for the hours, one for the vacuum for the hydraulic filter.
Thanks for the help everyone. It would seem there are a number of locations that could be used, just wondering which is best. Fastening to the underside of the seat doesn't make sense to me. You would just fall forward along with the seat, at least in my machine as there is nothing that latches the seat in the normal position. Looking at the seat close it does not apear ot be the original. Am I missing something?

mechtech

Thanks for the help everyone. It would seem there are a number of locations that could be used, just wondering which is best. Fastening to the underside of the seat doesn't make sense to me. You would just fall forward along with the seat, at least in my machine as there is nothing that latches the seat in the normal position. Looking at the seat close it does not apear ot be the original. Am I missing something?
I am running a 76 model 610 as well, my seat belt is missing, but I am going to visit the local scrap yard to get a seat belt. My attachments for the belt are on the stabilizer bars right next to the seat, there is a bracket that is bolted there, yours may be missing the bracket and or the bolt, see if there is a treaded hole in the stabilizer bar, Great forum, I am only into my second week of having my 610 and have learned a great deal about how to keep this machine up and running for a long time to come. Good Luck