555 Overheating

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

92LX555

Recently, my 555 has began to overheat when I run at 3/4 throttle. At low throttle I have no problem. I checked the fluid and I was a bit low and have since added 2 gallons. Is there a thermostat somewhere that needs to be replaced? Any suggestions?

mllud

92LX555
The fact that it was 2 gallons low would be enough for it to overheat. The thermostat is usually located in a small alumimun housing where the upper radiator hose connects to the head. It never hurts to change a thermostat if in dought. Its a cheap item that can save ,or ruin an engine. Mike

mllud

92LX555
The fact that it was 2 gallons low would be enough for it to overheat. The thermostat is usually located in a small alumimun housing where the upper radiator hose connects to the head. It never hurts to change a thermostat if in dought. Its a cheap item that can save ,or ruin an engine. Mike
You also need to look for where the two gallons of coolant went. If you dont have a visable leak it could have a bad head gasket or other internal problems. Look for steam oe moisture at the exhaust. Also check your oil for a milky look. I hope its not that serious.

OP
OP

92LX555

You also need to look for where the two gallons of coolant went. If you dont have a visable leak it could have a bad head gasket or other internal problems. Look for steam oe moisture at the exhaust. Also check your oil for a milky look. I hope its not that serious.
Engine has less than 500 hours on it so I hope there is nothing wrng there. I have no loss of power that I have noticed. No steam coming from exhaust, but coming from motor. I shut her down right away. Oil?? What oil? Engine oil or hyrdo oil?

mllud

Engine has less than 500 hours on it so I hope there is nothing wrng there. I have no loss of power that I have noticed. No steam coming from exhaust, but coming from motor. I shut her down right away. Oil?? What oil? Engine oil or hyrdo oil?
92LX555
The engine oil is what would look grey /milky if it had an internal leak. If you noticed it before it shut itself down you are probably ok on damage. The engine should shut down if it overheats.
Hot Antifreeze has a smell that you will recognize if you have smelled it before. Put a couple of drops on a hot manafold and you will remember it. Look for leaks. a slow leak will leave a sticky residue as it evaporates. You can lose coolant from a bad radiator cap also.
You should also fill your overflow tank up up the line. Then watch things closely and see if that level drops.
After a coolant system gets low it is sometimes hard to get the thermostat to open and burp the air out of the head. I fill it and run it up to operating temp. a couple of times and keep checking the level. At some time during this process it will sonetimes drop quickly and need more antifrese. That is when the thermostat opened.
Mike

OP
OP

92LX555

92LX555
The engine oil is what would look grey /milky if it had an internal leak. If you noticed it before it shut itself down you are probably ok on damage. The engine should shut down if it overheats.
Hot Antifreeze has a smell that you will recognize if you have smelled it before. Put a couple of drops on a hot manafold and you will remember it. Look for leaks. a slow leak will leave a sticky residue as it evaporates. You can lose coolant from a bad radiator cap also.
You should also fill your overflow tank up up the line. Then watch things closely and see if that level drops.
After a coolant system gets low it is sometimes hard to get the thermostat to open and burp the air out of the head. I fill it and run it up to operating temp. a couple of times and keep checking the level. At some time during this process it will sonetimes drop quickly and need more antifrese. That is when the thermostat opened.
Mike
I will check the engine oil...due for a change anyway. My guess is that I have a bad cap....it just does not feel right. When it first overheated I put a gallon in it and ran it for 20 minutes and it wad gone. I put another gallon in it and ran it for 20 minutes and it did not overheat and the fluid was still full. Mind you, it was -25 with the windchill so I am not sure it how warm it would get. My guess is the first gallon was gone when the thermostat opened.

Earthwerks Unlimited

I will check the engine oil...due for a change anyway. My guess is that I have a bad cap....it just does not feel right. When it first overheated I put a gallon in it and ran it for 20 minutes and it wad gone. I put another gallon in it and ran it for 20 minutes and it did not overheat and the fluid was still full. Mind you, it was -25 with the windchill so I am not sure it how warm it would get. My guess is the first gallon was gone when the thermostat opened.
My 555 had a hole in the radiator since the copper tubes were starting to rot away or get very thin. Also, mine didn't have an overflow bottle. If you don't have one you may want to get one as when the engine runs hot and overflows it can't recoup the overflow coolant and reuse it. BTW a recored radiator 8 years ago ran me $550---dealer wanted $900 for a new one. I had the recored one upgraded to have more rows of tubes.

mllud

My 555 had a hole in the radiator since the copper tubes were starting to rot away or get very thin. Also, mine didn't have an overflow bottle. If you don't have one you may want to get one as when the engine runs hot and overflows it can't recoup the overflow coolant and reuse it. BTW a recored radiator 8 years ago ran me $550---dealer wanted $900 for a new one. I had the recored one upgraded to have more rows of tubes.
Earthwerks Unlimited has a good point about the radiator. If you find that it is bad here is a link on ebay. I dont know if they have the same amount of rows in the core, or if the quality is good. They are always on auction. $365 I hope your radiator cap cures the problem. New Holland Skid loader Radiator L555 712164 W/Diesel
I had a problem with my lx865 radiator and considered one of these. I was able to solder mine up.
Mike

Fishfiles

Earthwerks Unlimited has a good point about the radiator. If you find that it is bad here is a link on ebay. I dont know if they have the same amount of rows in the core, or if the quality is good. They are always on auction. $365 I hope your radiator cap cures the problem. New Holland Skid loader Radiator L555 712164 W/Diesel
I had a problem with my lx865 radiator and considered one of these. I was able to solder mine up.
Mike
did you pressure wash the radiator and oil cooler , in may be blocked up with dirt externally , the lost of antifreeze may be that it overflowed wen it ran hot