New Holland LS170 Overheating

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jacksonduper

I have a LS170 skidloader that overheats after about 10mins. I replaced the thermostat and the water pump is only a few years old. I cleaned the radiators fins back in October and it seemed to fix the problem for a little while now it is doing it again. It is getting frustrating! I'm going to clean the fins again but want a long term fix. The fan seems to be turning fine as far as I can tell. Any help would be great. Joe

flyerdan

Move to NH in case someone has dealt with this before...
The obvious things that come to mind would be an air bubble that hasn't worked out, a kinked hose that restricts flow, or internal blockage in the radiator. Have you done a flow test on the radiator? Sometimes if regular water is used, especially if it's really hard water, mineral scale will stick to the engine casting and act as an insulator to impede heat transfer. If you find a problem and fix it, or if all looks well, Redline makes a product called Water Wetter that reduces surface tension on the coolant, increasing its efficiency. It should be available at the local parts store, use some of it with the recommended coolant mix for maximum heat transfer.
I know on a gas engine if the timing is retarded it will heat up, along with lose a lot of power, but a diesel shouldn't go out of time so easily, and probably wouldn't start before the timing got slow enough to heat up.

Ivan

If this is something it just started doing I would look at the water pump first. Get one on line as the gealer will soak you big time