410 hydraulics leaking down

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Kanman

Parking the machine overnight (no bucket) i will find the hydro attatch plate flat on the floor in the morning. The boom will leak down too a little but not half as bad as the dump. The bucket leaks down so bad now, that I dare not hold a full bucket overhead for more than a few seconds. What are some of the obvious places to start checking, replacing or rebuilding?

OP
OP
K

Kanman

If the plate will drop that much I am thinking the spool is leaking. That is where most arm and bucket sag occurs.
The boom itself will only leak down a few inches overnight, but the bucket itself requires constant adjustment. When you say spool is that the same as saying Control Valve? Sorry, im very new to owning a skid steer and am learning as fast as I can. If that is the same i hope there's a rebuild kit I can do myself, as a reman unit looks to be $1300 from my dealer...! Yikes lol!!

Gearclash

The boom itself will only leak down a few inches overnight, but the bucket itself requires constant adjustment. When you say spool is that the same as saying Control Valve? Sorry, im very new to owning a skid steer and am learning as fast as I can. If that is the same i hope there's a rebuild kit I can do myself, as a reman unit looks to be $1300 from my dealer...! Yikes lol!!
Yea, spool is an old timer term for control valve. I have been told there is no rebuild for a leaking control valve because the only thing that prevents leakage within the hydraulic circuit is the metal to metal tolerance between the spool and the valve body. You could as well try putting new seals on the bucket cylinder pistons just to rule that out. If bucket cylinders have leaking piston seals but the control valve is not leaking, I would expect a bare attachment plate to sag a little and stop as a vacuum will develop on the extend side of the bucket cylinder circuit. The arm cylinders, because they retract if they sag from leaking seals, will hydrolock themselves and not really sag much if the control valve doesn't leak.

Tazza

Staff member
Yea, spool is an old timer term for control valve. I have been told there is no rebuild for a leaking control valve because the only thing that prevents leakage within the hydraulic circuit is the metal to metal tolerance between the spool and the valve body. You could as well try putting new seals on the bucket cylinder pistons just to rule that out. If bucket cylinders have leaking piston seals but the control valve is not leaking, I would expect a bare attachment plate to sag a little and stop as a vacuum will develop on the extend side of the bucket cylinder circuit. The arm cylinders, because they retract if they sag from leaking seals, will hydrolock themselves and not really sag much if the control valve doesn't leak.
The other possibility is the load checks.
What i found was, if the bucket drops that fast, that you can notice it with a load in the bucket. Shut the machine down, operate the pedal in the opposite direction, see if the ram stops. If it does, it s more likely that the load checks are to blame.
I have a 731 that had this issue, i found moving the pedal in the opposite direction stopped the movement. I finally found bad seals in the load checks, it fixed the issue.

Gearclash

What i found was, if the bucket drops that fast, that you can notice it with a load in the bucket. Shut the machine down, operate the pedal in the opposite direction, see if the ram stops. If it does, it s more likely that the load checks are to blame.
I have a 731 that had this issue, i found moving the pedal in the opposite direction stopped the movement. I finally found bad seals in the load checks, it fixed the issue.
If your 410 has the optional hydraulic self leveling bucket, I wonder if a malfunction in that hardware could cause your problem?

OP
OP
K

Kanman

Will try this if and when I ever get machine back from stealership. I finally broke down and took it there after a hydraulic line sprung a leak. But now I got bigger fish to fry. New post time... Ughhhhh!!!