4 in 1 Buckets

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
I know we have touched on this subject before, but i have noitced when i snoop on E-Bay, that all the Bobcats that are sold in the USA seem to only have standard dirt buckets, some with teeth some with out. How do you manage on your jobsites picking up say rocks and dirt without the use of a 4 in 1 Bucket? i know that experience and skill would have a major impact on how you can do your jobs with certian gear. I live in Australia and i couldn't live without my 4 in 1 bucket, i find its so much easier to pick up rocks and soil. We don't have problems with having to clear snow (well not in Queensland). I would be lost without my trusty 4 in 1. All the Bobcats that i have seen in Australia have 4 in 1's, even the Toyota and Case skid steers. I would be interested in other operators views on this.

864wood

Just review all my previous post cpncerning the subject. I seem to be one of the few in the states that agree with you.

trg753

Just review all my previous post cpncerning the subject. I seem to be one of the few in the states that agree with you.
I am curious about the 4 in 1 bucket. I think this bucket would be ideal for what I am using my Bobcat for. Does anyone have a design to convert a standard bucket to a 4 in 1? Also, I am having a hard time finding a 4 in 1 bucket that is reasonably priced. Any ideas?

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
I am curious about the 4 in 1 bucket. I think this bucket would be ideal for what I am using my Bobcat for. Does anyone have a design to convert a standard bucket to a 4 in 1? Also, I am having a hard time finding a 4 in 1 bucket that is reasonably priced. Any ideas?
I seriously doubt you you could convert a dirt bucket to a 4 in 1. Not without alot of expense and alot of effort.
They are about 3K over here in Australia, thats brand new.
I would be lost without one, they pick up rocks, logs, 44 gallon drums with scrap steel in them, just about anything! I know a scrappie that uses his to destroy cars.
What do you plan to use one for if you don't mind me asking?

trg753

I seriously doubt you you could convert a dirt bucket to a 4 in 1. Not without alot of expense and alot of effort.
They are about 3K over here in Australia, thats brand new.
I would be lost without one, they pick up rocks, logs, 44 gallon drums with scrap steel in them, just about anything! I know a scrappie that uses his to destroy cars.
What do you plan to use one for if you don't mind me asking?
Tazza, Thanks for the input. I would use it for dirt moving and a lot of brush piling. I would also like to see if I could move round bales some how with the bucket. I think it would be the ideal bucket for me. I have been working on some drawings to build or convert mine, but it does seem like a lot of work and money. I looked on ebay last night and they do have some reasonable prices. Also, what is the difference between a 4 in 1 and a 6 in 1 bucket. Is it just the wording they use? Thanks

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, Thanks for the input. I would use it for dirt moving and a lot of brush piling. I would also like to see if I could move round bales some how with the bucket. I think it would be the ideal bucket for me. I have been working on some drawings to build or convert mine, but it does seem like a lot of work and money. I looked on ebay last night and they do have some reasonable prices. Also, what is the difference between a 4 in 1 and a 6 in 1 bucket. Is it just the wording they use? Thanks
I think it may just be a typo, i may be wrong though. I think it will just be a 4 in 1 bucket.
If you want to use it to pick up bails, what is the diameter of a bail? i can measure the opening of my 4 in 1 bucket to give you an idea if it would be big enough, i know that all buckets will vary, but it will give you an idea.

trg753

I think it may just be a typo, i may be wrong though. I think it will just be a 4 in 1 bucket.
If you want to use it to pick up bails, what is the diameter of a bail? i can measure the opening of my 4 in 1 bucket to give you an idea if it would be big enough, i know that all buckets will vary, but it will give you an idea.
The bales I would be picking up are round and are about 4 ft. wide by 5 ft. tall. I am not sure if it would work or not.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
The bales I would be picking up are round and are about 4 ft. wide by 5 ft. tall. I am not sure if it would work or not.
I will have to measure my bucket, but i don't think it opens quite that far....
I saw an ideal device at auction for that, it was used to pick up rolls of paper. Very simple, you could probably build it yourself. Basically 2 pieces of steel in the shape of a ( ) with a hydraulic ram to close them together. You don't need massive gripping power, i think it could be built with only a small amount of effort.
I would like to build one of them for myself to move 44 gallon drums around, but the usual story, too much to do, too little time.....

trg753

I will have to measure my bucket, but i don't think it opens quite that far....
I saw an ideal device at auction for that, it was used to pick up rolls of paper. Very simple, you could probably build it yourself. Basically 2 pieces of steel in the shape of a ( ) with a hydraulic ram to close them together. You don't need massive gripping power, i think it could be built with only a small amount of effort.
I would like to build one of them for myself to move 44 gallon drums around, but the usual story, too much to do, too little time.....
Tazza, Thanks, I will check out ebay. Also, I read a post earlier about a pin kit for the bushings on my skidsteer. They are the ones on the arms and are really worn out. Does anyone know what it takes to rebuild them or what the kit entails?

goodtech

Tazza, Thanks, I will check out ebay. Also, I read a post earlier about a pin kit for the bushings on my skidsteer. They are the ones on the arms and are really worn out. Does anyone know what it takes to rebuild them or what the kit entails?
On a 753 there are no bushings in your arms. The are coned shaped and the bolt on the outside pulls the pin into arms tighter. What happens is that bolt works itself loose then allows the pin to work its way out screwing up your lift arms. There is only two ways to fix this, one is to ream out the hole with a reamer, which makes it bigger, you may have to grind a little off the end of the pin to get a real tight fit, the other is buy the weldments for the lift arms, airarch the old ones off and weld new ones on. When intalling everything, make sure you put blue locktight on the bolts holding the pins in, otherwise you are going to be in the same spot agian in a couple of months. Good luck

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
If you have a lathe they are simple. Just a piece of old chrome bar turned down to the correct size would do the trick. If you want to go one step further, you can get some 41/40 machine it them get it hardened.

The only problem you will have is if the bushing has also worn, new pins will only make a small difference. Unfortunately Bobcats don't seem to have replaceable bushings inside the bushing, if you know what i mean? like a replaceable sleeve inside the bushing where the pin goes through. When i do up my 743 i am going to do this, i will take an extra 1/4out of the bushings and machine selves to go into them, so when they wear it is a simple job of knocking the old ones out and installing new ones. No reaming and installing over size pins will be needed, its a shame Bobcat don't do this, it wouldn't cost them much more to do it this way.

As for the pin kit, i have heard you can get standard and over size ones. You will still have the problem of having to ream out the holes if you install over size pins, or if you use standard ones you will still have wear in the bushings. I have had minimal success in making over size pins and using a brake cylinder hone to hone the holes out. It took me ages on the drill to get one side done. If you are patient this may be an option, but you will need to buy a few cheap hones, or buy a cheap adjustable reamer.