331 Hydraulic Reservoir Cap

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

melli

I was wondering if anyone has cleaned a cap before and what is involved? Or, I'll buy a new. I noticed the tank was quite pressurized after one 2-3 hr session. A tad worried the plastic tank will crack.... I'm guessing these caps have a valve of sort that lets air in and out without letting in debris. Was wondering how one cleans it.... thx

Tazza

Staff member
A new cap shouldn't be very expensive.
If it's that plugged, you may not be able to clean it out enough.

OP
OP
M

melli

A new cap shouldn't be very expensive.
If it's that plugged, you may not be able to clean it out enough.
Hi Tazza, Didn't hear back from anybody, so I took the plunge and pried apart the cap. Wasn't as bad as I thought....both in terms of pulling it apart and how dirty is was.... Since I can't post pics directly on this site, I could on this one...http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?61678-Bobcat-331-Hydraulic-Reservoir-Breather-Cap You can see the parts in detail. Will see if cap stays together after the trauma...lol best melli

OP
OP
M

melli

Hi Tazza, Didn't hear back from anybody, so I took the plunge and pried apart the cap. Wasn't as bad as I thought....both in terms of pulling it apart and how dirty is was.... Since I can't post pics directly on this site, I could on this one...http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?61678-Bobcat-331-Hydraulic-Reservoir-Breather-Cap You can see the parts in detail. Will see if cap stays together after the trauma...lol best melli
I figured the cap had some sort of filter...and would be cleanable to some degree, provided the foam hadn't disintegrated. Washed in some solvent cleaner, and it came out new...

Tazza

Staff member
I figured the cap had some sort of filter...and would be cleanable to some degree, provided the foam hadn't disintegrated. Washed in some solvent cleaner, and it came out new...
It really didn't look too dirty, more bits and pieces inside it than i thought it would have.

OP
OP
M

melli

It really didn't look too dirty, more bits and pieces inside it than i thought it would have.
Yeah, not bad for at least 1000hrs.... I was surprised what I found inside...those Italians! lol I think I saw a made in Italy label on them. Should have got any part number off them while I was at it...darn. I figured it was just a foam filter, no valves. Rather ingenious design to have pressure valves both ways. Well, it is cooling down here, so Bobby won't be getting hot and bothered. In summer, I really have to pace myself or I can get Bobby in high yellow (I open lids and idle for a bit to bring temps down), then continue. I recall putting a rental 331 in the red and the machine beeped several times, then shut down (hot day with AC on does the trick). In fall - winter - spring, I can go full crank and the temps never get too high. I really think the full body armor Bobby wears is the problem (not enough ventilation, coupled with AC load). I've cleaned the rads many times. First time I got machine, it was the rad being plugged that got me my first high temp reading, but since then I've been good about making sure rads are clean. I thought about getting creative and installing a helper fan where the horn is (front grill)...just not a lot of room in these things. Maybe by the main pump...there is a 'grill' there and more room. Not keen to hack longer grills. I like Bobby's armor. I'm constantly whacking something (usually a tree) with his butt. Great thing about 3/16" or 1/4" thick body panels...just wash off the skid marks or light sand and repaint. Rambling now...the one part that doesn't need as much beef is the hydraulic lid. If that had ventilation I bet things would cool right down. I almost think the front grill and side grill in hydraulic compartment are not enough. The engine has one side grill but a massive bottom grill. hmmm....

Latest posts