318D hard starting when cold

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

saythey

I have power going to the glow plugs. I put a ohm meter to the glow plugs and there is resistance. Not sure what it should read. It turns over fine but hard to start at -5*Celsius. It is getting fuel because I can see black smoke when turning over. just does not want to fire until I plug it in for a few hours. Once started runs fine. What else can I test. Would like to start it with not always relying on plugging it in at mild temperatures.

jerry

Remove the glow plugs and connect to 12v source, they should glow red within seconds. With one or two bad ones the engine will not start well. You can kind of eliminate the good ones with resistance check but the only sure way is to remove them.

OP
OP
S

saythey

Remove the glow plugs and connect to 12v source, they should glow red within seconds. With one or two bad ones the engine will not start well. You can kind of eliminate the good ones with resistance check but the only sure way is to remove them.
The glow plugs are internal and I was hoping not to have to take the valve cover off

cpsseals

Living in the great white north I've had some experience with this issue. My kubota starts without a hesitation after holding the glow plugs on for 8 to 10 seconds, the JD 313 not so much. I've discovered that if I let the glow plugs warm for a minimum of 2 complete cycles and 3 being optimum it will start no matter how cold. Takes a little longer, I use the time to get belted up and comfortable.

kroog

Living in the great white north I've had some experience with this issue. My kubota starts without a hesitation after holding the glow plugs on for 8 to 10 seconds, the JD 313 not so much. I've discovered that if I let the glow plugs warm for a minimum of 2 complete cycles and 3 being optimum it will start no matter how cold. Takes a little longer, I use the time to get belted up and comfortable.
Part of the problem is the Tier IVi engine emissions requirement. Deere engines start VERY lean, thus no smoke and ability to pass emissions. Mine has the same problem if I don't plug it in before starting. You can cycle the glow plugs 3-4 times before trying to start it. That helps, but the block heater is by far more effective, plus if you have a EROPS with heat, you'll have almost instant heat.