Starting problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

imtrulyajerk

What is up guys? I'm a starting tech i have 2 years of diesel and a degree from JTECH to go with it. I am having problems starting my 317G. A couple weeks ago my boss called me and asked if i could come check out a skid steer because it wasn't turning on. I get here and to do anything i have to pull down the seat cover over me and enable hydraulic override. After doing that i could start it but it would take a couple clicks before starting. I changed the hydraulic fluid, the filter & replaced the belt. I no longer need the hydraulic override but these guys swear you still need to click it a couple times. I checked battery and alternator and we are getting perfect volts. PLEASE HELP

brdgbldr

Did you load test the battery? You can have good volts but the battery may no longer have the cold cranking amps to turn over the engine.

OP
OP
I

imtrulyajerk

I have not but the engine turning over is not the problem in this case, it is the starting in general. When i press the start button and hold nothing happens sometimes and other times it starts normal. I have to press and hold about 5-6 times before anything starts working. It could be the key pad but the people @ beard equipment said they would have to hook up to the pad to their computer and.. thats not what i want to hear lol. & for extra info it is a 2018 317G track loader.

foton

well you know that the touch pad can not carry the amps to engage the starter so there must be a relay that it activates somewhere I would think. I know nothing about that machine.

OP
OP
I

imtrulyajerk

well you know that the touch pad can not carry the amps to engage the starter so there must be a relay that it activates somewhere I would think. I know nothing about that machine.
Before checking anything i tested all relays & fuses. Everything is fine that i can see. Unless there are extra fuses.

I would suspect the starter motor. Test right at the starter for current and signal. Either starter brushes or solenoid is probally bad

mikelv

When you say clicks a couple times, what is clicking. if it's the starter solenoid then that's probably what's bad. The contacts are probably burnt up. See if it works if you bypass it. Like with a screwdriver or something. Of course, it could be the keypad. Sounds like you did not get it tested.