2040 Mustang starts and dies

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bonehead

Problems started in the summer. Skid steer died on a slope and would not start. Drug it to level and it fired and ran, without any more problems. It did it a few more times, over the next month or so, but not always on a slope . It always started right back up. I changed out the fuel filter, thinking it was something in the fuel. Problems got worse and the machine would run fine, until it quit. After sitting a few minutes, it might run the rest of the day. Then it ran great, for about a month. I have a snow plow on it now, and after the last storm, it was parked. Yesterday, it would start and die. It has been cold here, and I was able to get it into the shop about 10 feet at a time. There is a small desiel leak somewhere, but I can't figure out where. I am thinking cracked fuel line, or something along those lines. Does anyone have an idea on what I should do for my next move? Thanks for your help.

skidsteer.ca

Sounds like air getting in the fuel system or a lack of fuel pressure.
Obvious stuff, tank full of winter fuel? You changed your filters?
Is there rubber line from the tank to the motor. If so extend it into the cab and put a boat primer bulb (or electric fuel pump) where you can reach it to play lift pump when it starts to die. See if that helps.
Also check the line going into the tank is clear, some have a screen on the pickup, and on Bobcat brand loaders the pickups are known for breaking off and sucking air with a 1/2 tank. Might be something to check.
If you think you have air getting in the fuel system, find the return fuel line from the engine to the tank and remove and submerge the end into a pail of fuel, start the engine and look for bubbles coming from the return line. If you have bubbles you have a problem you need to find and fix.
Ken

OP
OP
B

Bonehead

Sounds like air getting in the fuel system or a lack of fuel pressure.
Obvious stuff, tank full of winter fuel? You changed your filters?
Is there rubber line from the tank to the motor. If so extend it into the cab and put a boat primer bulb (or electric fuel pump) where you can reach it to play lift pump when it starts to die. See if that helps.
Also check the line going into the tank is clear, some have a screen on the pickup, and on Bobcat brand loaders the pickups are known for breaking off and sucking air with a 1/2 tank. Might be something to check.
If you think you have air getting in the fuel system, find the return fuel line from the engine to the tank and remove and submerge the end into a pail of fuel, start the engine and look for bubbles coming from the return line. If you have bubbles you have a problem you need to find and fix.
Ken
Thanks Ken, I hope to tear into it today. I'll keep you posted either way.

OP
OP
B

Bonehead

Thanks Ken, I hope to tear into it today. I'll keep you posted either way.
Finally tore into it this evening. (Snowing outside, and I will probably need it tomarrow.) Didn't get too far and found the fuel leak I have been looking for. A rubber hose that runs from the tank, to the pump, had a small hole at the midway point. It has been ground on by something at some point, but there are no moving parts in the area that it runs through. My best guess is that a few years back when the hydro pump was rebuilt, they drug something heavy across the line. At any rate, tomarrow when the parts store opens, I'll be getting 3 feet of 5/16 fuel hose, and go from there. I am hoping that is the cure, what do you guys think?

skidsteer.ca

Finally tore into it this evening. (Snowing outside, and I will probably need it tomarrow.) Didn't get too far and found the fuel leak I have been looking for. A rubber hose that runs from the tank, to the pump, had a small hole at the midway point. It has been ground on by something at some point, but there are no moving parts in the area that it runs through. My best guess is that a few years back when the hydro pump was rebuilt, they drug something heavy across the line. At any rate, tomarrow when the parts store opens, I'll be getting 3 feet of 5/16 fuel hose, and go from there. I am hoping that is the cure, what do you guys think?
Good chance. Diesels hate air in the fuel. Even a pin hole can cause the fuel to leak back and a hard start or a start then stall. Also low power, poor fuel (ignition) timing. Does it have a good maual lift pump? If not add the primer bulb, they sure come in handy at filter changes.
Ken

OP
OP
B

Bonehead

Good chance. Diesels hate air in the fuel. Even a pin hole can cause the fuel to leak back and a hard start or a start then stall. Also low power, poor fuel (ignition) timing. Does it have a good maual lift pump? If not add the primer bulb, they sure come in handy at filter changes.
Ken
So I could add a primer bulb into the line that I am replacing?

OP
OP
B

Bonehead

absolutely.
Ken
Done and done. Replaced the line, and added a primer bulb. It fired on the first crank, and I plowed the driveway with a few minutes later. I was very happy with how it all went. It seems that was the only cause for the machine to act up. And I have to tell you, it was a very small hole. You really couldn't even see it until you bent the hose. Ken, thank you for the support here. I kind of figured, but it was nice to have the backing. Also the primer bulb sure helped when it came time to fire it back up, and will probably help after the filter changes too. Thank you again. Jeff

wirenut

Done and done. Replaced the line, and added a primer bulb. It fired on the first crank, and I plowed the driveway with a few minutes later. I was very happy with how it all went. It seems that was the only cause for the machine to act up. And I have to tell you, it was a very small hole. You really couldn't even see it until you bent the hose. Ken, thank you for the support here. I kind of figured, but it was nice to have the backing. Also the primer bulb sure helped when it came time to fire it back up, and will probably help after the filter changes too. Thank you again. Jeff
hey guys does it matter where you put the primer bulb? Ken did you say up in the cab? is it possible to have too much line?

Tazza

Staff member
hey guys does it matter where you put the primer bulb? Ken did you say up in the cab? is it possible to have too much line?
I don't believe it matters. Its just there to prime the system, after that its not needed.