2009 S250 Fuel Sender Replacement

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pbrown100

Looking for some guidance if possible, I'm 99% sure my fuel sender is bad. Registers full after fueling, drops off to empty and throws idiot light on after 5-6 hours of runtime.
I flipped the cab, took off right side access plate by lift cylinder. I can see where the fuel fill hose drops below and into the tank by hydraulic lines. For the life of me I can not see an electrical connector, harness takeoff that is for the sender anywhere. I read online that tank removal requires pulling the engine and main pump - hoping you don't have to do that to change the sender...
Do I have to remove muffler, fan, fan shroud or get at it from the left hand side access? Or from the lower access panels around the axles?

I would appreciate some assistance, I don't really have the scratch to take it to the dealer at the moment unfortunately.

brdgbldr

Looking for some guidance if possible, I'm 99% sure my fuel sender is bad. Registers full after fueling, drops off to empty and throws idiot light on after 5-6 hours of runtime.
I flipped the cab, took off right side access plate by lift cylinder. I can see where the fuel fill hose drops below and into the tank by hydraulic lines. For the life of me I can not see an electrical connector, harness takeoff that is for the sender anywhere. I read online that tank removal requires pulling the engine and main pump - hoping you don't have to do that to change the sender...
Do I have to remove muffler, fan, fan shroud or get at it from the left hand side access? Or from the lower access panels around the axles?

I would appreciate some assistance, I don't really have the scratch to take it to the dealer at the moment unfortunately.
I have not worked on an S250 but I may be able to help you locate the fuel sending unit.

First go to the parts catalog:
Enter your serial number and then search "fuel" and take a look at the Fuel System schematic. This should give you a better idea as to where exactly the sending unit is compared to the other items on the fuel tank.

The fuel sending unit is sometimes partially under the pump. You should get a really good work light that you can put inside between the engine and pump. You will also want a good bright flashlight and an inspection mirror to help explore. You will want to look from both sides through the access panels behind the lift cylinders.

Some models you can reach the sending unit over the engine but you may need to remove the muffler.

When you find it, you will will most likely barely be able to reach it. It is one of those things you have to do by touch. A helper comes in handy to be your eyes.

I can't remember what size socket fits over the sending unit. I think it is a 1-5/8" but you should check that on the new sending unit. Sometimes you can't get a socket on it because the pump may be in the way so you will just have to experiment with different tools.

The last sending unit I did was on my A300 and it took me like 6 hours of trial and error to finally get it out. Took all of 5 minutes to install the new one. So patients and a lot of breaks are key.

There are some videos on line that may help give you an idea of what to expect.

Good Luck