2005 Ls 160

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bfd1262

I have a 2005 Ls 160 New Holland with 721hrs on it that the dealer thinks has a bad rod and may have damaged the fuel pump. How hard would it be to rebuild this engine and are there any important things to keep in mind when taking the engine block off and crankshaft out? Any comments would be helpful. Thank you.

Tazza

Staff member
It may be costly, NH made their own engines i think? i know at one point they did.
It won't be harder to repair than any other diesel.

skidsteer.ca

It may be costly, NH made their own engines i think? i know at one point they did.
It won't be harder to repair than any other diesel.
The first step would be to pull it out and see what happened, with those hours it should only need repaired not a full rebuild.
Ken

frogfarmer

The first step would be to pull it out and see what happened, with those hours it should only need repaired not a full rebuild.
Ken
I agree with the above; a complete overhaul is not likely in order. The engines in those skids are kind of an oddball but parts are available. Those engines were bad for water intrusion that took out the bottom end but that was years ago. I don't think the newer ones are all that bad. Prices are expensive but a full teardown and inspection is in order to determine extent of the damage. Normally those engines are reliable and should be worth fixing.

OP
OP
B

bfd1262

Ken
Engine is out and removed the injection pump. The camshaft has damage to it and one of the lifters(?) is missing and in pieces. The crankshaft moves freely and seems to have great compression. I Have not removed oil pan yet to look at bottom of the crankshaft. Where can I find parts for this engine? New Holland dealer? Thanks for your help.

skidsteer.ca

Engine is out and removed the injection pump. The camshaft has damage to it and one of the lifters(?) is missing and in pieces. The crankshaft moves freely and seems to have great compression. I Have not removed oil pan yet to look at bottom of the crankshaft. Where can I find parts for this engine? New Holland dealer? Thanks for your help.
To the best of my knowledge they are NH only but you could try engine rebuilders. They list remans for the N844
http://www.engreb.com/eng_filter_new_holland.php
Also mechanics manuals are available here
http://www.mediafire.com/?ov9zqt7xwtl
Ken

Latest posts