2001 773 drive issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MTmoose

2001 773 the left rear wheel is free wheeling (i have jacked up and checked all four tires) Im guessing a drive chain has broke. The left front spins like normal

Any advise to double check that i'm on the correct path before i tear into it

brdgbldr

Not much else it could be. It may have slipped the sprocket due to stretched chain or worn sprocket.

Put the whole machine on jack stands and run it. That axle will not spin if the chain is gone.

You could also open access to the chain case and look ( you may need a mirror to look into the back). The oil does not cover the tops of the sprockets, only about halfway up.

OP
OP
M

MTmoose

Not much else it could be. It may have slipped the sprocket due to stretched chain or worn sprocket.

Put the whole machine on jack stands and run it. That axle will not spin if the chain is gone.

You could also open access to the chain case and look ( you may need a mirror to look into the back). The oil does not cover the tops of the sprockets, only about halfway up.
Thank you. I did Jack up the machine and none of the tires spun but the back left. I was looking at the cain case and trying to decide if I want to tackle it or drop it off to get fixed. (Trying to decide if I want to be a cheap ass and do it myself or just have it fixed).

OP
OP
M

MTmoose

All the tires do spin when running it but the back left does not.

brdgbldr

Thank you. I did Jack up the machine and none of the tires spun but the back left. I was looking at the cain case and trying to decide if I want to tackle it or drop it off to get fixed. (Trying to decide if I want to be a cheap ass and do it myself or just have it fixed).
In my experience, rear axle chains and sprockets can only be accessed by dropping the entire drive train. Not super hard to do, just very time consuming and you need a lot of stands and blocks unless you are lucky enough to have a large gantry to lift the frame off.

The last one I did had to be done on a not so level gravel parking area. Having an entire frame with engine and pump sitting on stands and blocks 3 feet in the air is nerve racking.

OP
OP
M

MTmoose

In my experience, rear axle chains and sprockets can only be accessed by dropping the entire drive train. Not super hard to do, just very time consuming and you need a lot of stands and blocks unless you are lucky enough to have a large gantry to lift the frame off.

The last one I did had to be done on a not so level gravel parking area. Having an entire frame with engine and pump sitting on stands and blocks 3 feet in the air is nerve racking.
Thank you for the help. i think i know what direction im going with this. does the machine have 4 chains or just two. do you happen to remember what it cost to do the job

Last edited:

brdgbldr

Thank you for the help. i think i know what direction im going with this. does the machine have 4 chains or just two. do you happen to remember what it cost to do the job
There are 4 chains.

There are too many variables to give an estimated cost. Could just be a chain, could be either the drive motor or axle sprockets. You may want to replace seals at the same time, etc.

Your best bet is to look up part numbers by serial number of your machine on: https://www.bobcatpartsonline.com/#/catalogBrowser

And then look at the prices on: https://shop.bobcat.com
Most dealers charge these exact prices for parts unless they have an overstock in their shop.

My experience with Dealers is that they will charge about $140.00 an hour for work in their shop.

These prices will give you a baseline. Sometimes Bobcat has reasonable prices and sometimes not. Most parts can be found elsewhere but sometimes it's worth the extra cost to know that you are getting the correct part.