2 part Question.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

atnvol

I was operating my 763 on a sloping gravel road. I was headed up hill and the unit quickly lost power and then shut down. I cranked and it would start to hit but then quit. It acted exactly like it had ran out of fuel and the gauge does not work properly so I got 5 gallons of Diesel and started filling it. It took about 3 gallons and then overflowed so I knew something was amiss. I let it sit for a bit and it tried to crank but just would not fully crank. Any ideas? I did lose a couple of gallons of hydraulic fluid when a hose burst on my 4 in 1 bucket. Will the unit shut down when low on hydraulic fluid?

Part 2. If I cannot get it to crank how do I move this unit about 100 yards?

Thanks

foton

I think your problem is fuel related, to verify that get a clean boat fuel tank (like 5 or 6 gal.) put in diesel and with the primer ball hose ,hook that up as close to the injector pump as possible , with the tank elevated above the injector pump ,then prime up and try to start.

KyMadMan

Many times the fuel pickup tube at the tank breaks off. I've replaced that part a couple times. Not real bad to replace. I'd disconnect the line that comes from the tank and suction on it to see if it draws fuel or air. Using the pump bulb in the back should tell you the same thing. You can feel the fuel enter into the bulb when squeezed.

As far as moving, you can have someone pull you SLOWLY as long as someone is in the cab holding the control levers in the direction you are planning to travel. Good luck!

OP
OP
A

atnvol

I did not work on it Sunday. This morning I towed it up to the barn where I can check on the fuel delievery. I am very basic with mechanics but I can handle the fuel line check and things of that nature for sure. . I will check the fuel tank first by taking loose the fuel line at the squeeze pump. I thought I would blow into the line if a small flow. I will check a few things here shortly. I appreciate the encouraging suggestions made. Thanks fellas.

OP
OP
A

atnvol

Ok I just come in from checking it out. I am now thinking it is possible I could have ran it out of fuel or it was so low it was not being picked up on the slope I was working on because I did empty the fuel can (2 gals.) into it. So I went through the procedure in the Op Manual of bleeding the fuel filter and the injection pump. I could not get the filter to completely quit blowing air out> I did screw it tight and try to build pressure in the injection pump but it never would. The hand pump(priming bulb) appears to be solid, so I must be sucking air back at the tank or in the line? Thoughts please.

KyMadMan

Ok I just come in from checking it out. I am now thinking it is possible I could have ran it out of fuel or it was so low it was not being picked up on the slope I was working on because I did empty the fuel can (2 gals.) into it. So I went through the procedure in the Op Manual of bleeding the fuel filter and the injection pump. I could not get the filter to completely quit blowing air out> I did screw it tight and try to build pressure in the injection pump but it never would. The hand pump(priming bulb) appears to be solid, so I must be sucking air back at the tank or in the line? Thoughts please.
I don't think you'll actually get it to stop pumping with the bulb. Open the injector fuel valve pump it a few times and try to start the machine. If it fires let it run for a minute or so then close the valve. Your idle should smooth out and return to normal.

OP
OP
A

atnvol

I did try to crank it but it did nothing other than one time it acted like it was trying to hit but did not.

I never could get all the air from the filter and it just would never build up any pressure at the injection pump. It is just not sucking enough fuel in the line when pumping with the bulb.

OP
OP
A

atnvol

When this storm passes I will Try leaving the injection pump valve open, pumping the bulb a few times and then try to fire it.

OP
OP
A

atnvol

I just talked with a fella that used to work at the Bobcat dealership as a road tech. He said he would just about guarantee me that the pickup line in the tank has broke off.

OP
OP
A

atnvol

I will update in a few days. I am going to the dealership today to get a pickup tube, grommet, clamps and screen. I sure hope this will take care of it but we will see. Appreciate you KyMadMan.

brdgbldr

I will update in a few days. I am going to the dealership today to get a pickup tube, grommet, clamps and screen. I sure hope this will take care of it but we will see. Appreciate you KyMadMan.
Make sure to clean out the 90 degree fitting that enters the tank. Debris sometime get caught in them.

laurencen

some years ago re the 90 degree fitting, had a issue sometimes the unit would die, sit for half hour and was fine for days then die, took the lines out and found bugs like beetles in the line and tank, used a shop vac to clean it the bug got sucked as far as the elbow then shut off fuel, after sitting the bug would sink back in the tank, was amazed at the crap that came out the tank suspect either the previous owner had a old jerry can around when he filled of it sat for some time with no fuel cap

OP
OP
A

atnvol

Ok I am up and running again. The in tank pick up line had broken off about 3" below the 90° fitting. Changed the engine oil and filter , the fuel filter and the hydraulic oil filter too. I appreciate everyone who took the time to offer solutions. I feel renewed with it up and running. Thanks folks!