1987 Bobcat 743 auxiliary hydraulics

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bill9068

Just bought a 87 bobcat 743 with grapple and stump bucket . The previous owner bought it with a bad motor and put in a kubota v1902 to replace the 1702. My problem is with the auxiliary hydraulics. I removed the small bolt on the right lever and it's really sloppy, I don't see where the lever when pushed to the front and moved left and right moves any thing in the linkage to where it will run the aux hydraulics. Admittedly I have not hooked up the grapple bucket because it's missing the hydro quick connect on the lines. I need to buy some and check to see if it works. Looks to me like there's something missing to connect the right lever to aux hydraulics, am I wrong? The grapple was never on this machine, he picked it up for another one he has but ended up selling it to me with this machine.

SkidRoe

The aux hydraulic control lever is linked to the valve by a push-pull cable. I would be flipping up the cab and checking the control linkage to see if something is worn or broken.
Cheers - SR

jsenicka

The aux hydraulic control lever is linked to the valve by a push-pull cable. I would be flipping up the cab and checking the control linkage to see if something is worn or broken.
Cheers - SR
On a 743 the front aux hydraulics it is actually a rod from right hand stick to the 3rd spool from the top on the valve block. With the cab up you should see a 1/4" rod with a fork at the valve end and a ball joint at the right hand control lever. The lever moves side to side to actuate that valve

OP
OP
B

Bill9068

On a 743 the front aux hydraulics it is actually a rod from right hand stick to the 3rd spool from the top on the valve block. With the cab up you should see a 1/4" rod with a fork at the valve end and a ball joint at the right hand control lever. The lever moves side to side to actuate that valve
Just lifted the cab, linkage is gone. Looks like it's been off awhile. The search begins.

Tazza

Staff member
Anyone got a 743 parts machine?
Talk to the dealer, they may have them available. The connection is just a heim joint and a rod. It's not hard to make one really. There is a point on the bottom of the lever to attach the heim joint with a bolt.

OP
OP
B

Bill9068

Talk to the dealer, they may have them available. The connection is just a heim joint and a rod. It's not hard to make one really. There is a point on the bottom of the lever to attach the heim joint with a bolt.
I found a guy with a parts machine, he's sending the part for 20 bucks. Cost about that much to make one I figure.

OP
OP
B

Bill9068

I found a guy with a parts machine, he's sending the part for 20 bucks. Cost about that much to make one I figure.
Got my used parts in and got a good look at the hydraulic control valve and the connector on the valve has a broken ear. That explains why the linkage was missing. Anyone have a fix for this? Cannot get a drill in there to drill a new hole.

jsenicka

Got my used parts in and got a good look at the hydraulic control valve and the connector on the valve has a broken ear. That explains why the linkage was missing. Anyone have a fix for this? Cannot get a drill in there to drill a new hole.
nothing easy. You could pull the whole spool from the back of the valve block, but all the plumbing in the way would need to come out, and drain all the oil.

OP
OP
B

Bill9068

nothing easy. You could pull the whole spool from the back of the valve block, but all the plumbing in the way would need to come out, and drain all the oil.
That's what I thought, nothing easy. Don't think I'll mess with it right now. I have a S130 I can use the auxiliary hydraulics on.

Tazza

Staff member
That's what I thought, nothing easy. Don't think I'll mess with it right now. I have a S130 I can use the auxiliary hydraulics on.
Nothing can be easy is it?
Depending on the gear you have available, you could pull the spool out and carefully weld a new ear to it and machine it back down. Just don't machine or weld too far back, as you have a hard chromed sealing surface that you do not want to mess with. If you do have to go into that area, ensure you give it a good finish when it's machined.