1980 Bobcat 530

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

trobbl

I picked this skidsteer up last summer. It's a Bobcat 530. It has a 23hp air cooled 2 cyl Kohler. It was in pretty good shape, so all I did was replace the seat and started using it. I've made a few mods and repairs since then. I bought some forklift forks and welded them to a quick attach plate. I added a backup camera which only cost me about $40 and a few hours work. The electric fuel shutoff solenoid failed, so I removed it and put in a manual fuel shutoff. I had a pretty bad hydraulic fluid leak that turned out to be and o-ring in one of the steering shafts going into the main pump. I had to pull the engine to do that repair. I discovered that the bolts holding the engine to the pump were completely missing, so it turned out to be a good thing that I had to dig in that deep to fix the leak.

I've got a couple more repairs on tap. I get some chain noise on the left side when go full speed. I think I need to tension that chain. The brake isn't working at all, so I need to look into that as well.

IMG_20220324_151900415.jpg

IMG_20220324_155434953.jpg

I've posted a few videos on mods and repairs on my Youtube channel. Links are below for anyone who might be interested.

Bringing the Bobcat Home

Adapt Forklift Forks to Skid Steer

Bobcat Backup Camera

Fixing a Bobcat Hydraulic Oil Leak

Firepit Stone Work

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

trobbl

Thanks. The forks were a good addition to my machine. The only thing I would change is to go with lighter forks. The overall lift capacity of my Bobcat is 800lbs and the forks alone probably weigh 200lbs.

ymurf

I have the same model except mine is a 533 2 cylinder diesel. I have rebuilt my engine and replaced some hoses. If you dont mind check out my thread I put on the other day and let me know if you have made ant repairs like this.

OP
OP
T

trobbl

I had a hydraulic oil leak that behaved similar to yours. It would leak while sitting in my garage, but it didn't leak more when I was using the machine. It turned out to be an o-ring on the shaft that controls my forward/backward movement. I had to pull my engine to find it. I posted a video of that repair on my Youtube channel Fixing a Bobcat Hydraulic Leak . I also have an axle leak, but haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. My axle only leaks when I'm running my machine. Good luck on your repairs.

ymurf

Great video. Not much info online about these smaller 530 and 533 machines. I will check my o-rings. I am in Missouri and been cold for awhile so my 533 been sitting a couple months. Big wet spot down the tire on LH rear axle. Guess Just going to have to dig in there. Bought mine off a guy that tore engine down and got bored with it. No compression. Engine was in boxes. Found rings and barrings from a couple different sources online. Took forever to find new injectors. Had head checked and rebuilt at a engine building shop. Got it all together and been good machine for around the house till the leaks. Here what I got when I bought it. before and after.

Attachments

• 20170305_143948.jpg
    20170305_143948.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 20170305_144038.jpg
    20170305_144038.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20170402_181808.jpg
    20170402_181808.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 20170510_210832.jpg
    20170510_210832.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
T

trobbl

Same here. It's on my list of repairs. I was going to work on it over the winter, but we have so much snow this year I had to press the 530 into service pushing back my snow banks to make more room.

cdmccul

The parking brake... I haven't done it yet, but apparently you can restore the function by releasing the pinch bolt and rotating the bell crank arm to take up the slack. You have to pop the arm free of the shaft first. I just read about it yesterday, but I have slept since then. If I get it done, I'll give better instructions!

brdgbldr

After watching your videos it got me motivated to work on mine. Found this seal and barring set on ebay. Seems pretty cheap. Think Ill order it.
Just a heads up on axle seal replacements.

If you have one piece axels make sure you see if you have any play in the axel before you remove them. Bobcat sells recessed washers, in different sizes ( if I remember correctly each washer has two different recesses depending on which way you face them), to take up end play on the axel. You can find them in the parts catalog.

I needed them when I replaced the seals and bearings on my 742.

OP
OP
T

trobbl

After watching your videos it got me motivated to work on mine. Found this seal and barring set on ebay. Seems pretty cheap. Think Ill order it.
I just finished replacing the drive chains and one axle seal on my Bobcat. I also got a look at the parking brake and it only needed an adjustment to get it working properly.

Bobcat 530 drive chain and axle seal video

ymurf

I am so glad you did a video. I am planning on getting mine in my garage week after next to put barring and seal on same axle as yours and try and find my hydraulic leak that keeps leaking down over time. I will check that same double o ring as yours if I can get to it to see it. Thanks again for the video.

OP
OP
T

trobbl

Hope your diagnostic and repair goes well. The 530 is really tough to work on due to tight quarters. Also, that large plate between the engine compartment and the rest of the hydraulics make it challenging to track down leaks. On the plus side, this model is pretty simple without the modern electronics.

gunnarsage

Hey how's it going I have a 1979 bobcat 530 I purchased and have been using for a couple months for small jobs for my excavation company. It started leaking from the pressure relief on the hydrostatic pump so I replaced the fitting and filled the fluid and it started immediately leaking from the new one, do you guys have any input on if it's needing a new pump or maybe I'm missing something else? Thank you!