1835c knocking

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

eremoao

Well, back to this again since I have a little time. The knocking noise to me seems related to the engine. It is a 3-cyl. gas. When I first start it up, there is no knock, then I add more accelerator and a tiny knock starts. Then after working for a while the knock is louder. But, if I put it in idle, it does not knock. What do you all think this is? Any other information, just ask, and I'll try to answer.

jerry

I think you have either a rod or main bearing going. as the engine warms the oil thins and the loose fit can be heard. When you idle the engine it reduces the strain put on the bearing. I would take it apart as it is not going to get better and it may not be really serious yet. Noises are hard to define, a knock to one person is a rap to another and there are a lot of parts in there that can cause both. good luck

aaa123

If you haven't yet dealt with this, first drain the engine oil into a clean pan, anything as long as it's clean. Look at the oil under various lighting and see if you can see a metallic brassy sheen. If you do, don't run it anymore and arrange for a rebuild. If you run it enough, all of the bearing will finally make a visit to the oil pan and you'll start working on the rods and/or crankshaft and it gets expensive real fast. If that is inconclusive, get an automotive stethescope. It's like the one doctors use, but has a tip that lets you probe around and touch different areas to isolate a sound. Sears has a decent inexpensive one. Spend a while poking around and listening. If you can unhook the throttle linkage and blip the throttle from the engine bay, you can see how it reacts.

skidsteer.ca

If you haven't yet dealt with this, first drain the engine oil into a clean pan, anything as long as it's clean. Look at the oil under various lighting and see if you can see a metallic brassy sheen. If you do, don't run it anymore and arrange for a rebuild. If you run it enough, all of the bearing will finally make a visit to the oil pan and you'll start working on the rods and/or crankshaft and it gets expensive real fast. If that is inconclusive, get an automotive stethescope. It's like the one doctors use, but has a tip that lets you probe around and touch different areas to isolate a sound. Sears has a decent inexpensive one. Spend a while poking around and listening. If you can unhook the throttle linkage and blip the throttle from the engine bay, you can see how it reacts.
Cut open the oil filter too and see if any of the bearings have migrated to the to filter.
Ken