1835B drive problems after fixing leak on tilt cylinder

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jrcampbe

Hi guys, I have an old 1835B that I lent to a friend to do some yard work. The steel line going from the back of the loader to the tilt cylinders cracked and developed a leak. I had a replacement made and installed it. Some hydraulic oil had leaked and the guy put about a gallon of ISO32/SAE10 hydraulic oil into the reservoir. After installing the line, he "drove it for 5 minutes and everything worked fine." Later today, his son "took it across the yard and it wouldn't go any further. He said there is a leak of some fluid back in the engine compartment." It has run for less than 10 minutes with the gallon of different oil in it (I doubt this is a problem, but it's the only other thing that's changed except the line). He tells me it, "moves a little, enough to load it on the trailer." Any ideas what I'm up against here? I need to use this thing tomorrow to unload my pickup and I'm hoping you guys have some ideas what might be wrong here. What could be leaking in the back near the engine that would cause it not to move? The drive pumps and motors are all up under the seat, aren't they? I'm encouraged it's a leak, as that likely means there is nothing wrong with the pumps, motors, etc. Thoughts? Thanks in advance! Jim

OP
OP
J

jrcampbe

My hope is that the replacement line wasn't tightened enough and it leaked out all the hydraulic fluid. Just looking for some theories as I need to check this out and hopefully get it running in some guy's yard, not in my garage.

OP
OP
J

jrcampbe

My hope is that the replacement line wasn't tightened enough and it leaked out all the hydraulic fluid. Just looking for some theories as I need to check this out and hopefully get it running in some guy's yard, not in my garage.
Well, there is a second ruptured steel tube now, this one going to the lift cylinder on the same side. This seems like quite a coincidence and has me wondering if there is an over pressure relief valve for the lift and bucket cylinders that is not working, causing ruptures. Do any of you know where this valve might be and how I would test it? Thanks in advance! Jim

Tazza

Staff member
Well, there is a second ruptured steel tube now, this one going to the lift cylinder on the same side. This seems like quite a coincidence and has me wondering if there is an over pressure relief valve for the lift and bucket cylinders that is not working, causing ruptures. Do any of you know where this valve might be and how I would test it? Thanks in advance! Jim
Did it just rupture or was it worn? There is really no reason for a tube line to burst. I would have thought a hose would have blown before a tube would if the pressure was too high.
Pressure is generally tested at the aux hydrauic quick couplers. Using a quick coupler with adaptors to fit a pressure gague, you activate the hydraulics and see waht the pressure reads.
Hopefully the other blown line was just worn.