Your thoughts-business developement

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thetool

I'm currently in start-up mode, going to offer services as an independent mobile technician. A lot of you guys like to do your own work, but there are some things you may need help with.
I would like some of your thoughts on things that you would like help with, but don't necessarily want to get your dealer involved with.
Examples:
Air Conditioning
Code Trouble-Shooting
Breaker Charging
Excavator Hydraulics Fine-Tuning
I'd like to stay tight with the dealer, though, for parts and perhaps deals on warranty issues.
Throw out some things you'd like to have just a phone call away......(here come the jokes, hehe)
I want to work for guys like you, and I'd appreciate your input.

perry

First thing that comes to mind are the broken hydraulic hoses, sure would be nice to have someone deliver and install, second is getting a 'stopped working' machine home.

Bandit1047

First thing that comes to mind are the broken hydraulic hoses, sure would be nice to have someone deliver and install, second is getting a 'stopped working' machine home.
Here is something to think about. Contact the various dealers in your area. If they don't have anyone at their place that makes "house calls" see if they would use you. They could give your name to a customer and you would purchase the parts from them as payment for the work, or they could hire you per the job and you make a flat rate and they bill the customer. You could build on the relationships , however you may need to promise not to steel their repair business away. This way you have access to technical data and manuals and if things work out they may even give you a discount on parts. Joe

perry

Here is something to think about. Contact the various dealers in your area. If they don't have anyone at their place that makes "house calls" see if they would use you. They could give your name to a customer and you would purchase the parts from them as payment for the work, or they could hire you per the job and you make a flat rate and they bill the customer. You could build on the relationships , however you may need to promise not to steel their repair business away. This way you have access to technical data and manuals and if things work out they may even give you a discount on parts. Joe
Great idea!!

Bandit1047

Great idea!!
I just had a few more thoughts on this subject. I don't know how much money you have to spend on getting set up. You could start by setting up for whatever your research finds to be most in demand and work your way up the service ladder. The big guys run their own mobil service trucks with hose repair equipment, oil and hydraulic change and filter service and all around maintenance. The small guys can't afford that luxury, yet need this service when their equipment sits at a job for long periods of time. Once you get a customer that uses your services, you can become a real asset by documenting the equipment he has and the filters, type and size of hoses and brands of oil he uses. when he has an emergency you may already have what he needs. Also don't pay retail for parts and supplies. There are companies out there that will give you dealer or reseller pricing and some will deliver the parts to the job site for you. NAPA has dealers that stock heavey equipment filters and other maintenance items. they will even stock items that are common to your customers equipment so that you don't wait for it. The NAPA dealers around my area will run parts out to you no charge if you have an account with them. Time is money and if you are running for parts you can't be crancking a wrench at $95.00 bucks an hour. Since someone mentioned hoses; get a hose connector guide with photos and descriptions of fittings in "ACTUAL" size. There are charts available for fittings, "O" rings and other components that you need. Having a correct part # or nomanclature before you call in an order is priceless. Also, when you hook up with a fitting and hydraulic hose supplier see if they have cell phone photo transfer available. you can take a cell phone photo of a part and they can look at it without having to travel to their store. Keep a plain scale (ruler) that shows up well on camera and lay it next to the part. A photo is worth a dozen trips to the store! Making money is all about orginization, focus and customer service! I am often asked by small business owners why they can't find tax deductions that will save them money. I tell them that the average small business owner screws himself out of tax deductions with poor record keeping. Document, Document and more documentation is the key to keeping more of your tax dollars! LAST THING, if you do shody work, don't show up and can't get customer referrals, all the above items will not mean a damn thing. Joe