Wwhat type of oil for chane case 4535

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

turbo54

I think I need to remove the chane case cover and add oil but Im not shure what weight is used for sx 4535 Gehl. It smells like gear oil but im shure that isnt right Any help would be good. Thank you Turbo 54.

ronfew

I have a 6635 and I also took the cover off and it smells like gear oil not motor oil...is it ok to run gear oil in the chain case

Grzes

15w40 engine oil or the same oil you are using for hydraulic oil.
4610 Operator's Manual tells you to use 10W40, but personally I think you can use any gear or engine oil. After all, it is only a chain drive, it doesn't operate under extreme conditions. Components like an engine or hydraulic system require a little more caution when changing oil, since they are designed to specific lubrication parameters. Sometimes you may damage rubber seals and gaskets by using incorrect lubricant. Some silicone sealants dissolve in contact with certain transmission fluids. Coming back to the topic: my friend (CAT technician with 16 years of heavy equipment repairs and servicing) said that sometimes they use heavier (thicker) oil on older machines in order to reduce leaks through old axle seals, but this works only to some extent.

SkidRoe

4610 Operator's Manual tells you to use 10W40, but personally I think you can use any gear or engine oil. After all, it is only a chain drive, it doesn't operate under extreme conditions. Components like an engine or hydraulic system require a little more caution when changing oil, since they are designed to specific lubrication parameters. Sometimes you may damage rubber seals and gaskets by using incorrect lubricant. Some silicone sealants dissolve in contact with certain transmission fluids. Coming back to the topic: my friend (CAT technician with 16 years of heavy equipment repairs and servicing) said that sometimes they use heavier (thicker) oil on older machines in order to reduce leaks through old axle seals, but this works only to some extent.
Most BC's run motor oil in their chain cases. I run generic 10w30 from Walmart (bought in 5 gallon pails) in mine. FWIW

mahans7

Most BC's run motor oil in their chain cases. I run generic 10w30 from Walmart (bought in 5 gallon pails) in mine. FWIW
And I've seen Tazza post about changing hydraulic oil and using the old oil in the chiancase if its not too bad. Now that's thrifty.