Wood Splitter attachment for my Bobcat 751-C

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Butters

Would it cause any problems to adapt a wood splitter to the front auxillary hydraulic lines? I am concerned about turning the aux power on continuously and using a remote hydraulic control lever on the splitter. This may be a stupid question since I assume that is how the backhoe attahments work, I have just never used them.
Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I see no problem, like you said thats how an excavator attachment works. Just use open center spools to control it and you are set!.
You may need larger hoses and spools is all, you will probably have more flow than you did before if you are adapting the wood splitter from a small petrol engine. You will notice it will operate much faster too.

sterlclan

I see no problem, like you said thats how an excavator attachment works. Just use open center spools to control it and you are set!.
You may need larger hoses and spools is all, you will probably have more flow than you did before if you are adapting the wood splitter from a small petrol engine. You will notice it will operate much faster too.
most wood splitters are open center meaning the oil flows continuously as long as your valve is that way no problem. I made one on a plate but found that a sawhorse like set up is better. Jeff

perry

most wood splitters are open center meaning the oil flows continuously as long as your valve is that way no problem. I made one on a plate but found that a sawhorse like set up is better. Jeff
I haven't tried it yet but, can wood be split using the bucket teeth?.

Tazza

Staff member
I haven't tried it yet but, can wood be split using the bucket teeth?.
To an extent i see it could work, but only on very soft wood.
Still, a proper splitter would do a MUCH better job. You really need the wedge to cut effetely and not get the wood stick on the teeth. I'm not sure how much force the machine can push with but most wood splitters will give at least 10-20 tonne and i know a SSL just doesn't have that much pushing force.

skidsteer.ca

To an extent i see it could work, but only on very soft wood.
Still, a proper splitter would do a MUCH better job. You really need the wedge to cut effetely and not get the wood stick on the teeth. I'm not sure how much force the machine can push with but most wood splitters will give at least 10-20 tonne and i know a SSL just doesn't have that much pushing force.
Perry
I doubt it, you won't have enought force.
No problem running the spitter with the aux hyd locked on. That how our splitters are set up.
Just make sure you don't use a "closed center" valve to run it. Which 95% of the splitters don't use anyway.
Ken

OP
OP
B

Butters

The splitter is a unit we made on the farm about 25 years ago. We built it very heavy, but I am worried about too much pressure on the valves ets. My Bobcat dealer said it would be a bomb waiting to explode becasue my 751 produces 2500 PSI and a farm tractor is nothing near that. I need to replace the hoses/coupler anyway. Do you think this is dangerous?
Thanks

skidsteer.ca

The splitter is a unit we made on the farm about 25 years ago. We built it very heavy, but I am worried about too much pressure on the valves ets. My Bobcat dealer said it would be a bomb waiting to explode becasue my 751 produces 2500 PSI and a farm tractor is nothing near that. I need to replace the hoses/coupler anyway. Do you think this is dangerous?
Thanks
Just add a cross over relief valve between the two hosea and set it to a pressure you think is a safe level. They are available from www.surpluscenter.com or any hyd shop. When the pressure reaches the level you set it to, it lets the oil escape to the return hose and back to the loader.
The only downside I see is the lower the pressure the splitter was designed for, the larger the cylinder it requires to make say 20 tons force, and filling a larger cylinder takes more time.
More pressure means equal force with less volume of oil,
But I'm sure the skidsteer will run it much faster than any tractor ever did, you will likely hardly speed the engine up at all.
Ken

sterlclan

Just add a cross over relief valve between the two hosea and set it to a pressure you think is a safe level. They are available from www.surpluscenter.com or any hyd shop. When the pressure reaches the level you set it to, it lets the oil escape to the return hose and back to the loader.
The only downside I see is the lower the pressure the splitter was designed for, the larger the cylinder it requires to make say 20 tons force, and filling a larger cylinder takes more time.
More pressure means equal force with less volume of oil,
But I'm sure the skidsteer will run it much faster than any tractor ever did, you will likely hardly speed the engine up at all.
Ken
I used a prince woodsplitter valve from surplus center it has an internal relief and an old piston from a log loading truck and havent had any trouble. the skid runs at a little above an idle and it splits great......how large is the splitter you have? I would watch out for black iron fittings or pipe the welded seams can blow open under pressure.....Good luck....Jeff