Winter Track Operation

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Rustytools

I will be using a skid steer to remove snow in the arctic. One advantage of tracks would be to be able to push snow straight off of the apron at a constant level, running on the old packed snow(the terrain drops off at the edge of the apron). However, I has several people who believe that a tracked skid steer would have less traction then a wheeled unit, and that the track and undercarriage would wear out very fast when it is -40 C. If some one with cold weather operating experience could educate me about the pro's and con's of track use and maintenance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kermode

My experience with tracked skidsteers are that they are useless in ice and snow without some kind of ice lug on the tracks. Chains are much more effective, IMO.

skidsteer.ca

My experience with tracked skidsteers are that they are useless in ice and snow without some kind of ice lug on the tracks. Chains are much more effective, IMO.
Have been told the same. Studding the tracks should help though. They have carbide studs you install or remove with a cordless drill. There are also some snow tread tracks comming on the market now.
As for the undercarriage the biggest concern would be to check for frozen wheels.
Ken

dozer

Have been told the same. Studding the tracks should help though. They have carbide studs you install or remove with a cordless drill. There are also some snow tread tracks comming on the market now.
As for the undercarriage the biggest concern would be to check for frozen wheels.
Ken
I have an ASV 4810 tracked machine and I have had overwhelming success with it so far. If you are true sheet ice everyone is correct they are worthless. Beyond that they work as well as any wheeled machine in out town. The biggest advantage is I can pile snow 12+ feet. I simply make a ramp to the top of the pile and keep going. I removed snow for 12 hours a week ago in -25 with a 40mph wind and had no adverse problems with the tracks. I am fortunate enough to have a heated shop to store it in for the night so the snow can melt out of the tracks. If you want it get it. However if its commercial make sure you charge enough because you are going to have higher maintence costs no matter how you dice it. good luck, DOZER

sp6x6

I have an ASV 4810 tracked machine and I have had overwhelming success with it so far. If you are true sheet ice everyone is correct they are worthless. Beyond that they work as well as any wheeled machine in out town. The biggest advantage is I can pile snow 12+ feet. I simply make a ramp to the top of the pile and keep going. I removed snow for 12 hours a week ago in -25 with a 40mph wind and had no adverse problems with the tracks. I am fortunate enough to have a heated shop to store it in for the night so the snow can melt out of the tracks. If you want it get it. However if its commercial make sure you charge enough because you are going to have higher maintence costs no matter how you dice it. good luck, DOZER
I move snow in the winter, and when you have problems is ice on inclines, which is my typical driveway in NW MT. This is where chains shine and tracks dont make it to the job site, buddy of mine made dedicated studded tracks because winter season is big for him.