Which tracked skid steer would you buy? Case v Deer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

xksjocko

Hello all, new to the forum & would really appreciate your opinions on these options. I'll be using the skid to remove cedars off our hunting land & we are also building a bridge to span a creek.

Here are the options, both are tracked skid steers, both incl. bucket:
Option #1 2010 John Deer 319D Manual QT. Canopy. ROPS. Mechanical suspension seat. Std fan drive. Cold start pkg. Counterweights. Polar tread track. 152 hrs. $35,000.

My experience w/ the demo: looked good, ran good, Engine is very clean, although it looks to me like a guy'd hafta unbolt a lot to get at anything in the engine. I believe the service intervals are wider spread (500 hrs) on a Deere and I've read most others are at 250 hrs.

Option #2 Case 420 has a cab enclosure, heating and air, hydraulic lock for the bucket, and even a radio. This unit is priced at $29950. 432 hrs

demo: smoked quite a bit on start-up in 70* weather, this worries me quite a bit. I don't want something taking a dive on me while I'm stuck down a valley full of trees.

On that note, is there a way to get these units freed up from the hydrostatic transmission if we need to tow?

Any and all responses are much appreciated, thanks.

OP
OP
X

xksjocko

just to be clear............is there a way to uncouple the hydro drives if it stops running down in a hole and we need to drag it back up the hill..........kinda like the disconnector that lawn tractors have

Tazza

Staff member
just to be clear............is there a way to uncouple the hydro drives if it stops running down in a hole and we need to drag it back up the hill..........kinda like the disconnector that lawn tractors have
I don't believe any machine will be able to freewheel if something was to break down.
The smoke sounds like an issue too, it should clear up within a few seconds.

johng

I don't believe any machine will be able to freewheel if something was to break down.
The smoke sounds like an issue too, it should clear up within a few seconds.
>I don't believe any machine will be able to freewheel if something was to break down. How do you tow/pull out a non-running machine?! Does the machine have to be repaired in place?!

Tazza

Staff member
>I don't believe any machine will be able to freewheel if something was to break down. How do you tow/pull out a non-running machine?! Does the machine have to be repaired in place?!
Either repair it in place or brute force to drag it out and on to a trailer.
The only other way is to remove the hydraulic lines to the drive motors, but this isn't the best option as its possible to get dirt in and cause more damage. It also risks running the motors out of oil and causing damage.

lesgawlik

Either repair it in place or brute force to drag it out and on to a trailer.
The only other way is to remove the hydraulic lines to the drive motors, but this isn't the best option as its possible to get dirt in and cause more damage. It also risks running the motors out of oil and causing damage.
I never understood why they couldn't build drive motors with a crossover, blocked by a plug or valve, which would allow fluid to recirculate in the motor and allow the motor to freewheel. There is a hydraulic hose going in, and one coming out. Why not port then into an "H" block where the center portion of the "H" is normally blocked. To move the machine, open the valve between the parallel sections of the "H" and allow fluid to circulate in a closed loop through the motor.

Tazza

Staff member
I never understood why they couldn't build drive motors with a crossover, blocked by a plug or valve, which would allow fluid to recirculate in the motor and allow the motor to freewheel. There is a hydraulic hose going in, and one coming out. Why not port then into an "H" block where the center portion of the "H" is normally blocked. To move the machine, open the valve between the parallel sections of the "H" and allow fluid to circulate in a closed loop through the motor.
That would be logical :)
I can't see why that wouldn't work either, i guess it could allow the motor/oil to get quite hot if you were to tow it too far too fast.

jnickell

That would be logical :)
I can't see why that wouldn't work either, i guess it could allow the motor/oil to get quite hot if you were to tow it too far too fast.
If forced to pick between the two, I would choose the Deere. The Case has too much pretty body work that just gets damaged or destroyed with regular use. I would probably consider the CAT or Bobcat units before either though. Josh Nickell Rental

Bobcatdan

If forced to pick between the two, I would choose the Deere. The Case has too much pretty body work that just gets damaged or destroyed with regular use. I would probably consider the CAT or Bobcat units before either though. Josh Nickell Rental
If anybody else looks at this old thread, a Deere track machine can freewheel. Remove the end cover and pull out the sun gear from the planetary. They don't roll easy, but with enough grunt, they will.

Latest posts