Which bobcat to buy "S" or "M" series

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rich414

Which should I buy S300 or s330 or M series which will not be out until fall of this year (maybe) they currently have the S650 which has 74hp. I need more HP! I am a little sacred to buy a new product line the first or second year of production. YOUR THOUGHT are appricated!! R.

Iowa Dave

I'll bet they delay the introduction of the size you need further due to poor sales trying to get all the "old" S machines moved--that is what they did with the smaller machines--delayed the intro at least twice. I needed a new machine last year. I bought an "S" machine. Here was my thinking: S 205 loaded w everything possible except only standard controls, trading in a 753 ROPS machine. Dec 08 quote was $26,500 to trade. Did the EXACT SAME DEAL in June for $17,500 as dealers were all really hungry as the floor plans on their inventories was/is coming due. I figured one third off is A LOT of money, in my case, $9000 and it was time to do it. Other considerations: 1) I could put the new machine to work immediately versus waiting for who knows how much longer for am M machine 2) I drove a prototype M, and it was nicer, but not as much nicer as the hype had led me to believe 3) The deal I got, compared to just 6 months earlier, was really attractive 4) The M machines were not being discounted like the S machines 5) Once the economy picks back up, the super good deals/incentives will disappear.

OP
OP
R

rich414

I'll bet they delay the introduction of the size you need further due to poor sales trying to get all the "old" S machines moved--that is what they did with the smaller machines--delayed the intro at least twice. I needed a new machine last year. I bought an "S" machine. Here was my thinking: S 205 loaded w everything possible except only standard controls, trading in a 753 ROPS machine. Dec 08 quote was $26,500 to trade. Did the EXACT SAME DEAL in June for $17,500 as dealers were all really hungry as the floor plans on their inventories was/is coming due. I figured one third off is A LOT of money, in my case, $9000 and it was time to do it. Other considerations: 1) I could put the new machine to work immediately versus waiting for who knows how much longer for am M machine 2) I drove a prototype M, and it was nicer, but not as much nicer as the hype had led me to believe 3) The deal I got, compared to just 6 months earlier, was really attractive 4) The M machines were not being discounted like the S machines 5) Once the economy picks back up, the super good deals/incentives will disappear.
Iowa Dave, thanks for the reply. Is the "S" model being discontinued? I agree with you that they will delay the larger "M" models! I live in a small town, andthe only dealer within 300miles, they have no old inventory to move, yet they have located a few 330 and 300 that have over 360days on the sales lot. the discounts are there, but not like you stated above. Still waiting for a reply from the dealer on the prices. the dealer will not give me much for my currect 300,($10k) therefore I am just going to keep it until i can get something more for it. I have a few friends that want it, but I dont sell stuff like this to friends.

jklingel

Iowa Dave, thanks for the reply. Is the "S" model being discontinued? I agree with you that they will delay the larger "M" models! I live in a small town, andthe only dealer within 300miles, they have no old inventory to move, yet they have located a few 330 and 300 that have over 360days on the sales lot. the discounts are there, but not like you stated above. Still waiting for a reply from the dealer on the prices. the dealer will not give me much for my currect 300,($10k) therefore I am just going to keep it until i can get something more for it. I have a few friends that want it, but I dont sell stuff like this to friends.
Iowa: Doesn't your state have laws against theft? I'd have been tempted to buy two at that price! j

Iowa Dave

They are scheduled to phase the M series in over time. Each introduction will then replace the S machine of similar size--just like they did last time. For instance,the 753's were about the last to go, for some reason. Certain sizes of S machines had been in production for several years before the 753 went. So it is possible that a certain size could continue as an S for quite a while yet. On the 205 I bought--- the salesman called about May 20 and asked if I was still interested in a 205---he said they had 3 in inventory and their floor plan with Bobcat was about to expire, nothing was moving, and Bobcat had a $3500 rebate, AND they would dicker but only til June 1. At June 1, the rebates expired. I just told him that if nothing was moving I was willing to gamble that not only would the rebates/programs get extended, but that they might even get better after June 1. He called me in early June and shot me $18,500. I told him for $17,500 I'd drop what I was doing and come in and write him a check, and that is how it went. Another consideration for me was that such a completely new design was bound to have some issues and I wanted the dependability of a late S machine. I bet you can wait until closer to spring. I would bet they do the rebate program again this spring. I would also find a dealer with excess inventory he NEEDS to move. The dealer I really wanted to buy from didn't have what I wanted, and to order it in he was about $4000 higher. That dealer said you will always get the best deal on existing inventory that a dealer needs to move. Also, last year's rebate was for CASH only. I think they would do zero percent financing but no rebate. All I know is I paid $17,500 for a 205 with cab and air, power bobtach, sound reduction, the big tires, a block heater, suspension seat. etc. It used to be called "gold" pkg. I think they call it "A71" pkg now. Standard foot controls. Traded a 2000 753 ROPS 2000 hrs VERY sharp with new tires.

sp6x6

They are scheduled to phase the M series in over time. Each introduction will then replace the S machine of similar size--just like they did last time. For instance,the 753's were about the last to go, for some reason. Certain sizes of S machines had been in production for several years before the 753 went. So it is possible that a certain size could continue as an S for quite a while yet. On the 205 I bought--- the salesman called about May 20 and asked if I was still interested in a 205---he said they had 3 in inventory and their floor plan with Bobcat was about to expire, nothing was moving, and Bobcat had a $3500 rebate, AND they would dicker but only til June 1. At June 1, the rebates expired. I just told him that if nothing was moving I was willing to gamble that not only would the rebates/programs get extended, but that they might even get better after June 1. He called me in early June and shot me $18,500. I told him for $17,500 I'd drop what I was doing and come in and write him a check, and that is how it went. Another consideration for me was that such a completely new design was bound to have some issues and I wanted the dependability of a late S machine. I bet you can wait until closer to spring. I would bet they do the rebate program again this spring. I would also find a dealer with excess inventory he NEEDS to move. The dealer I really wanted to buy from didn't have what I wanted, and to order it in he was about $4000 higher. That dealer said you will always get the best deal on existing inventory that a dealer needs to move. Also, last year's rebate was for CASH only. I think they would do zero percent financing but no rebate. All I know is I paid $17,500 for a 205 with cab and air, power bobtach, sound reduction, the big tires, a block heater, suspension seat. etc. It used to be called "gold" pkg. I think they call it "A71" pkg now. Standard foot controls. Traded a 2000 753 ROPS 2000 hrs VERY sharp with new tires.
Was that the difference you had, after trade? I went into dealer last year and they never did give me a price diff. I even had my machine in there. I would like a loaded 205 and have a s185 w/ under 800 hrs.

sledesigns

Was that the difference you had, after trade? I went into dealer last year and they never did give me a price diff. I even had my machine in there. I would like a loaded 205 and have a s185 w/ under 800 hrs.
Yep, haven't quite got all the bugs out of the M series yet. When it was -14F out the hydaulics were a little slow right after start up. However it fired right off with no starting aid at all. Bucketing three foot snow drifts it had more than enough agility to outsmart the traction and made for pleasant days work. The only unresolved issue was when I decided to back through allot of snow. The snow packed in and turned to ice into the engine area. Enough that it shut it down. I do love that M series "freewheel" function though. Just bump the steer levers to center and push it into the shop to warm up. No more hydro-wheel lock like the S series. After thawing out it fired right back up. The M-series cab-forward-like visibility is a little tiresome though. I could only handle a couple hours of "closer to my work" view. However, when I tired of it, I merely took my lunchbox off of the seat and scooted back to the backrest. Sitting on the front edge of the seat is way over hyped. Yeah, there are some bugs to work out, but my 1960's M600 is a good machine.
Awesome forum, Invaluable source of info, Working on axle seals on my other machine tonight....I can't be serious all the time. -Scott

Fishfiles

If you live 300 miles from a dealer than if I were you I'd stay away from the new M series for a while , till proven , as there is more wires and electrical components than ever before , new models seem to always have bugs to be worked out and sooner or later it's going to happen that you are going to be broke down either electrically or computer wise , and you can't move it , and you can't troubleshot it and and you will be $hit out of luck and money , maybe I am wrong , there are always silver linings to every storm cloud , but in these tough economy times I'd go with something that is proven and not be a guinne pig for Bobcat , as I have found many times over the last 30 plus years of dealing with them that their field testing before puttting the product on the market is poor to say the least , so many times I seen there were retrofit's , service bullutins and upgrade that were never handled like a call back , in others words they find a problem and will fix it if you happen to bring it in before the warranty is up but never tell you about it unless it happens to you while in warranty , once the warranty is up you have to pay to fix what was wrong , in these days of computor machines I'd sit back and wait to see what is going to happen before jumping in on it

rnbuck01

If you live 300 miles from a dealer than if I were you I'd stay away from the new M series for a while , till proven , as there is more wires and electrical components than ever before , new models seem to always have bugs to be worked out and sooner or later it's going to happen that you are going to be broke down either electrically or computer wise , and you can't move it , and you can't troubleshot it and and you will be $hit out of luck and money , maybe I am wrong , there are always silver linings to every storm cloud , but in these tough economy times I'd go with something that is proven and not be a guinne pig for Bobcat , as I have found many times over the last 30 plus years of dealing with them that their field testing before puttting the product on the market is poor to say the least , so many times I seen there were retrofit's , service bullutins and upgrade that were never handled like a call back , in others words they find a problem and will fix it if you happen to bring it in before the warranty is up but never tell you about it unless it happens to you while in warranty , once the warranty is up you have to pay to fix what was wrong , in these days of computor machines I'd sit back and wait to see what is going to happen before jumping in on it
They dont have an s series out. s is for skid steer, t for track.

roel

They dont have an s series out. s is for skid steer, t for track.
I traded my 773h last mount (850 hours 2002 with foot contols and open cab)for an S 300 demo 100 hours hand controles closed cab and heat & air and paid $ 20000 canadian I'am happy with it.