Wheels on a Scat Trak 1350

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kohl_cytre

Does anyone have expierence removing the rims from a kohlring scat trak 1350? I pulled off all 6 lugs and could not get the rim to pop off. Is there something weird about how these rims attach? It almost looks like the drive axel hub might be wider then the center rim hole, but I'm thinking that is silly. Is there any possibility that I'd have to pull the whole axel out to remove the rim or is it just stuck to the hub? Anyone have exiperence with this? Help!

jerry

Have you tried hitting them from the backside with a 8 foot 4x4? Had one car that the rims were that tight on.

OP
OP
K

kohl_cytre

Have you tried hitting them from the backside with a 8 foot 4x4? Had one car that the rims were that tight on.
Yeah I was banging the heck out of the thing. I was second guessing myself. I don't want to damage the rims. I'm thinking of using an 8" gear puller and locking the jaws into 2 of the 4 small square cut outs in the rim and pull the rim off that way. I don't know if that's what those cut outs are designed for, but seems like they would have some type of similar purpose. Probally alot of guys laughing at me because I can't get rims off a skid loader but hey, I just did an engine swap out by myself! I rewired the entire machine! I think my brain is a little fryed at this point! :p

SkidRoe

Yeah I was banging the heck out of the thing. I was second guessing myself. I don't want to damage the rims. I'm thinking of using an 8" gear puller and locking the jaws into 2 of the 4 small square cut outs in the rim and pull the rim off that way. I don't know if that's what those cut outs are designed for, but seems like they would have some type of similar purpose. Probally alot of guys laughing at me because I can't get rims off a skid loader but hey, I just did an engine swap out by myself! I rewired the entire machine! I think my brain is a little fryed at this point! :p
Don't feel bad. This is not an uncommon problem. In frustation, I have even loosened all of the nuts 1 turn and taken it for a short drive. Still had to give them a whack to come off, but they did come off. Just make sure you slather the pilot bore of the rim with anti-sieze before you put them back on. HTH.

OP
OP
K

kohl_cytre

Don't feel bad. This is not an uncommon problem. In frustation, I have even loosened all of the nuts 1 turn and taken it for a short drive. Still had to give them a whack to come off, but they did come off. Just make sure you slather the pilot bore of the rim with anti-sieze before you put them back on. HTH.
Anti-seize is a great tip! I'll definetly give that a shot. Someone painted the hubs so I'm thinking the overspray onto the rims is not helping my situation either. I gotta remove all 4 rims in this exercise so hopefully once I figure out the combination on one it will work on the other 3. At least I have a matching set of 4 flat tires at this point! My plans are to remove the rims, sand the inside and outsides of all rust and loose debris. Then paint the rims in a metal paint and install tues. Then fill the tubes with slime. My rims are a bit chewed on the edges and the bead seals are not the best. Hence the tubes. Should work. Just gotta get the rims off first! BFH time!

OP
OP
K

kohl_cytre

Anti-seize is a great tip! I'll definetly give that a shot. Someone painted the hubs so I'm thinking the overspray onto the rims is not helping my situation either. I gotta remove all 4 rims in this exercise so hopefully once I figure out the combination on one it will work on the other 3. At least I have a matching set of 4 flat tires at this point! My plans are to remove the rims, sand the inside and outsides of all rust and loose debris. Then paint the rims in a metal paint and install tues. Then fill the tubes with slime. My rims are a bit chewed on the edges and the bead seals are not the best. Hence the tubes. Should work. Just gotta get the rims off first! BFH time!
I've devised a system of pulling off rims if anyone is interested. I use a 2 claw 5 ton gear puller, length of chain and a few bolts. First remove the claws from the puller leaving just the hinge plates that attach the claws to the body of the puller. Next put a bolt through the chain and then through the square hole in the rim. Use washers and a nut to secure. Do the same to the other end of the chain and position the chain to be a straight line from one set of rim holes to the lateral hole. Attach your puller with a bolt straight through the first hinge plate then one of the chain links and then the other hinge plate. Secure with a nut. Position the puller so the screw will be in the direct center of the wheel hub and repeat the process to the other hinge plate. Run your pullers screw down till you have minor tension and it is level and straight. Now tighten and the rim will pop off with little to no effort. This system worked on all 4 of my rims after everything else failed. The rims were rusted, painted then rusted and re-painted on. The rim nuts were more for show as C4 couldn't of removed them! Maybe this will help someone else out. Thanks! -kOHL