Water in chain case

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ezridr60

Case 1840. Anyone having trouble with water entering or getting into the chain case. I have owned this machine for about 10 years. When it was stored outside I have always kept a tarp over it. The last two years it's been in a pole barn. Just recently the parking brake pawl on the left side froze up. When I pulled the inspection cover off I noted the oil was very milky. Obviously full of water. Now as cold as it's been it's really frozen. This weekend the temperatures are supposed to moderate a little and I'll move it into the garage and crank the heater up for a couple of days and drain the chain cases. The machine is about 15 years old, bought it from my brother. I had it serviced shortly after buying it and the chain cases were drained and filled with 10W-30 at that time. Since being serviced I doubt it has 100 hours in the last five or six years on it. I use it very infrequently during the summer months, and use it mostly for plowing snow in the winter. So the question remains, how is water entering the chain cases?

OP
OP
ezridr60

ezridr60

Talked to the guys that serviced this unit about five years ago. I've been told that the drain plugs for the chain case could be three different sizes they have seen all three in the past. I guess it depended on what the vendor was supplying at the time. The choices are, 3/8" Allen head hex, 3/8" Square Drive, 1/2" square drive. So I'm going to stick this thing in the garage this weekend and crank the heater up. However I'm not very confident that I can remove the drain plugs. If that's the case it has been suggested I use a vacuum to suck the fluid out of the chain cases. Has anyone done this? If not using a vacuum, what did you use?

Tazza

Staff member
Talked to the guys that serviced this unit about five years ago. I've been told that the drain plugs for the chain case could be three different sizes they have seen all three in the past. I guess it depended on what the vendor was supplying at the time. The choices are, 3/8" Allen head hex, 3/8" Square Drive, 1/2" square drive. So I'm going to stick this thing in the garage this weekend and crank the heater up. However I'm not very confident that I can remove the drain plugs. If that's the case it has been suggested I use a vacuum to suck the fluid out of the chain cases. Has anyone done this? If not using a vacuum, what did you use?
Hopefully you can free them up. Try hitting them a few times with a hammer before you try removing them, it helps crack the seal.
If all else fails, you may have to pump it out.... Not a fun job

OP
OP
ezridr60

ezridr60

Hopefully you can free them up. Try hitting them a few times with a hammer before you try removing them, it helps crack the seal.
If all else fails, you may have to pump it out.... Not a fun job
Yeah thought about the hammer but there's not a lot of room under there to swing a hammer with much force to malletize them. And I don't have it on a lift. Probably wind up using a torch. Just gotta be careful I don't light off the residual gunk in the belly pan! I did buy a suction pump today in the event I have to resort to that. It's the kind used to siphon heavy weight gear oil out of differentials/transfer cases. Take longer than a vacuum but hopefully not as messy. We'll see how it goes this weekend!

jerry

Yeah thought about the hammer but there's not a lot of room under there to swing a hammer with much force to malletize them. And I don't have it on a lift. Probably wind up using a torch. Just gotta be careful I don't light off the residual gunk in the belly pan! I did buy a suction pump today in the event I have to resort to that. It's the kind used to siphon heavy weight gear oil out of differentials/transfer cases. Take longer than a vacuum but hopefully not as messy. We'll see how it goes this weekend!
When you use a vacuum you use a suck bucket to catch the oil. Basically a 5 gallon bucket with the vacuum attached one side of the lid and a pickup hose coming off the other side. There was a thread on the bobcat forums not long ago and I have seen it on other forums also.

OP
OP
ezridr60

ezridr60

When you use a vacuum you use a suck bucket to catch the oil. Basically a 5 gallon bucket with the vacuum attached one side of the lid and a pickup hose coming off the other side. There was a thread on the bobcat forums not long ago and I have seen it on other forums also.
Thanks Jerry, I know exactly what you're referring to. I use something similar in woodworking, keep sawdust and chips from clogging the filter in the shop vac!z

sparkplug

I found this link on here to the picture of it, http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?20354-The-suck-bucket
I have an 1845, same proplem with the drain plugs. I took a propane tourch put a little heat to them, they came right out. As for the water in the case you could be getting snow on the top of the case, they fill with dirt all the time. Anyway check the gasket and replace it with new rubber. I have mine completely apart at this time

OP
OP
ezridr60

ezridr60

Update on progress. Got the machine in the garage and heater running. Cobbled together a "suck bucket". Works great! I've pulled out about 4 1/2 gallons of fluid, the right case is now dry, still some ice to thaw in the left. Hopefully melted by morning. Then it's been suggested by the guys that service this thing to throw in a couple of gallons of #2 diesel, run it around a bit to flush the cases, drain that and refill with 10W30. Just for the record, the chain case plugs on this machine were 1/2" sq. recessed head (similar to an allen hex , but sq.). And they came out really easy. I had ordered replacement plugs, mainly to see what size socket/ whatever was needed. They were 5/8" Allen hex, so much for prep! Once again, the "suck bucket" is a winner!

OP
OP
ezridr60

ezridr60

Update on progress. Got the machine in the garage and heater running. Cobbled together a "suck bucket". Works great! I've pulled out about 4 1/2 gallons of fluid, the right case is now dry, still some ice to thaw in the left. Hopefully melted by morning. Then it's been suggested by the guys that service this thing to throw in a couple of gallons of #2 diesel, run it around a bit to flush the cases, drain that and refill with 10W30. Just for the record, the chain case plugs on this machine were 1/2" sq. recessed head (similar to an allen hex , but sq.). And they came out really easy. I had ordered replacement plugs, mainly to see what size socket/ whatever was needed. They were 5/8" Allen hex, so much for prep! Once again, the "suck bucket" is a winner!
Finished today. Took overnight to melt the accumulated ice in the bottom of the left chain case. Put in a couple of gallons #2 diesel each side and ran it around for about 40 minutes. Back in the garage, jacked the back end up, took about 30 seconds each side using the "suck bucket" to remove the diesel fuel and refilled with 7 qts 10W30. I did note a discrepancy between the owners manual and my machine. According to my manual there is supposed to be an oil level plug between the tires on the side of the chain case. Nada on this machine, but we're back in business waiting for the next 8" of "partly cloudy today". Jerry can't thank you enough for the suck bucket info. Come a little warmer weather time to replace the inspection cover gaskets. Looks like the rears need to have the bucket all the way up to access them and don't have room in the garage to do that. Spring sounds like a good time!

Latest posts