wanting a skid steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I am looking into getting a skid steer. I have some ditch digging projects. I have mostly been looking at the smaller skid steers like the Bobcat M371 , JD 70, Case 1816 or the mustang 310. Or any other ones in that category. Which ones should I stay away from and which ones should I just plain run from. What I have found so far is a Mustang 310 for $3900.00 or a rough looking John Deere 125 for $2750.00. I would like to stay under 3000.00 if possible. I always look at the weight of the item I am wanting to purchase, so I know what it is worth at the scrap yard if it all goes south. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions. Thank you

SkidRoe

Finding a working machine for under $3000 could be a hard find. Anything you find for this money will likely require work.
If it were me, would look for a hydrostatic machine, they are much more user friendly, so that would preclude any Bobcat 3XX machines. We used to have an M371, and replaced it with a new 440B, which I still own. Says a lot about the 440B.....
Cheers - SR

OP
OP

Finding a working machine for under $3000 could be a hard find. Anything you find for this money will likely require work.
If it were me, would look for a hydrostatic machine, they are much more user friendly, so that would preclude any Bobcat 3XX machines. We used to have an M371, and replaced it with a new 440B, which I still own. Says a lot about the 440B.....
Cheers - SR
Is the 440B a hydrostat? All that are below that are Belt driven? Is that correct. Thanks

SkidRoe

Is the 440B a hydrostat? All that are below that are Belt driven? Is that correct. Thanks
Yes, the 440b is hydrostatic. The 3XX machines are not necessarily 'belt' driven, but utilize clutches for their drive control.
Many models do utilize a belt drive to drive their hydraulic pumps or clutch steering transmissions. Only very early machines actually used belts as a form of clutched drive control.
Regards - SR

OP
OP

Yes, the 440b is hydrostatic. The 3XX machines are not necessarily 'belt' driven, but utilize clutches for their drive control.
Many models do utilize a belt drive to drive their hydraulic pumps or clutch steering transmissions. Only very early machines actually used belts as a form of clutched drive control.
Regards - SR
Thank you for the education.

OP
OP

Thank you for the education.
Can these things be towed. for instance, if it breaks down, can it be towed to the trailer to take it to the garage. I didn't know if the hydrostat would lock them up. If so would you have to remove the drive chains to make it move?? Thanks

Skidder2

Can these things be towed. for instance, if it breaks down, can it be towed to the trailer to take it to the garage. I didn't know if the hydrostat would lock them up. If so would you have to remove the drive chains to make it move?? Thanks
On an older case ( 1845 I think) there is supposedly a valve or fitting dedicated to open up specifically for the purpose of rolling the machine engine off . A maximum distance to facilitate loading into a trailer . Can't say about newer machines or bobcats .

OP
OP

On an older case ( 1845 I think) there is supposedly a valve or fitting dedicated to open up specifically for the purpose of rolling the machine engine off . A maximum distance to facilitate loading into a trailer . Can't say about newer machines or bobcats .
Well the John Deere 125 I was looking at sold to high at an auction. I thought it would be cheaper there than what they were asking on the lot. I was wrong. So what about a Hydro-Mac 8C. Any thoughts on that? Thanks

OP
OP

Well the John Deere 125 I was looking at sold to high at an auction. I thought it would be cheaper there than what they were asking on the lot. I was wrong. So what about a Hydro-Mac 8C. Any thoughts on that? Thanks
I just read where the John Deere 70 and the owatona 330 is the same machine, is that correct? Is it a hydrostat, or does it have belts and clutches? Thank you

Latest posts