volvo mc110b

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Anthony K

Recent purchase volvo mc110b.Problem: At about 40 percent throttle misses or runs rough.below and above that range good power, machine has low hours,no white or black smoke when warmed up and engine temperature is normal,recently change fuel filter and new fuel , any thoughts on diagnosis? Thanks, Anthony K

Tazza

Staff member
Yes the machine has a turbo
I would start there. It sounds like its not spooling up. If its not boosting, the injectors will still be squirting in the same amount of fuel but the cylinders don't have enough air to make it all burn causing black smoke.
I'd remove one of the hoses and feel that the turbine still spins freely and does not have any play. If it moves side to side or back and forth, your bearings are bad.

OP
OP
A

Anthony K

I would start there. It sounds like its not spooling up. If its not boosting, the injectors will still be squirting in the same amount of fuel but the cylinders don't have enough air to make it all burn causing black smoke.
I'd remove one of the hoses and feel that the turbine still spins freely and does not have any play. If it moves side to side or back and forth, your bearings are bad.
I will test the turbine as suggested,Thanks for the reply,

Fishfiles

I will test the turbine as suggested,Thanks for the reply,
Volvo VACT engine – introduction

16 valve , direct injection , V-ACT Engines - Volvo Power

Volvo diesel engines are built on decades of experience and on the use of advanced technology. The diesel engines used in Volvo construction machines cover a wide range from 1 to 16 litres in displacement. Each one is a state-of-the-art engine tailored specifically to our different construction machines.
Over time, the construction and earth-moving industry has experienced more restrictive legislation. As a construction equipment manufacturer we are continuously faced with ever-higher user demands on machine productivity.
Volvo meets the requirements of the new, stricter emissions legislation through state-of-the-art, innovative engine designs allied to well-proven Volvo engine technology and components. And, we do this while still keeping machine performance high and fuel consumption low.
Volvo Advanced Combustion Technology,V-ACT, is yet another example of our engine design capability based on leading-edge technology that will be successively introduced in the heavy- and medium-duty Volvo engines for off-road applications.
Volvo diesel engines give you outstanding performance, competitive fuel consumption and low emissions. They are designed and precision-built to meet your high demands concerning reliability, durability and operating economy.
Go for simplicity – go The Volvo Way and stay one step ahead.
direct injection ---------------------------------

Have it scoped out by your local dealer , I am thinking a sensor issue , maybe RPM /speed sensor or I wonder if you have a catalitic converter or yours , if so the oxygen sensor on it

OP
OP
A

Anthony K

16 valve , direct injection , V-ACT Engines - Volvo Power
Volvo diesel engines are built on decades of experience and on the use of advanced technology. The diesel engines used in Volvo construction machines cover a wide range from 1 to 16 litres in displacement. Each one is a state-of-the-art engine tailored specifically to our different construction machines.
Over time, the construction and earth-moving industry has experienced more restrictive legislation. As a construction equipment manufacturer we are continuously faced with ever-higher user demands on machine productivity.
Volvo meets the requirements of the new, stricter emissions legislation through state-of-the-art, innovative engine designs allied to well-proven Volvo engine technology and components. And, we do this while still keeping machine performance high and fuel consumption low.
Volvo Advanced Combustion Technology,V-ACT, is yet another example of our engine design capability based on leading-edge technology that will be successively introduced in the heavy- and medium-duty Volvo engines for off-road applications.
Volvo diesel engines give you outstanding performance, competitive fuel consumption and low emissions. They are designed and precision-built to meet your high demands concerning reliability, durability and operating economy.
Go for simplicity – go The Volvo Way and stay one step ahead.
direct injection ---------------------------------

Have it scoped out by your local dealer , I am thinking a sensor issue , maybe RPM /speed sensor or I wonder if you have a catalitic converter or yours , if so the oxygen sensor on it
No catalitic converter,limited knowledge of diesels,seems to be a simple engine with very limited electronics.Dealer is too far away and my pocketbook has informed me that I am pretty much a need to do it myself kind of guy..Dealer did suggest that many of the machines of that era came with porous fuel lines which would would not leak but suck air at certain speeds causing narrow band rough running,And they suggested,saying that I might laugh at them,but the first thing they do when they get those machines is too change out all fuel lines,will give that a try next..Commenting on a previous post.The turbine has an even drag all the way around,being all new to me, I assume the drag is oil resistance on the bearings.Thanks guys,look forward to your comments.

Fishfiles

No catalitic converter,limited knowledge of diesels,seems to be a simple engine with very limited electronics.Dealer is too far away and my pocketbook has informed me that I am pretty much a need to do it myself kind of guy..Dealer did suggest that many of the machines of that era came with porous fuel lines which would would not leak but suck air at certain speeds causing narrow band rough running,And they suggested,saying that I might laugh at them,but the first thing they do when they get those machines is too change out all fuel lines,will give that a try next..Commenting on a previous post.The turbine has an even drag all the way around,being all new to me, I assume the drag is oil resistance on the bearings.Thanks guys,look forward to your comments.
I have not had to deal with any problems with a V engine , luckily as I don't know alot about them yet , I think that if you reseach it you will find that if you do have the V- engine that is not as simple and electronic free as you think and as far as it's direct inject computor controll goes there isn't alot you can do yourself short of changing parts blindly , sounds like the dealer you went to doesn't know alot about them yet either

OP
OP
A

Anthony K

I have not had to deal with any problems with a V engine , luckily as I don't know alot about them yet , I think that if you reseach it you will find that if you do have the V- engine that is not as simple and electronic free as you think and as far as it's direct inject computor controll goes there isn't alot you can do yourself short of changing parts blindly , sounds like the dealer you went to doesn't know alot about them yet either
Sorry I was not clear in my description of the motor for the volvo mc110b, The motor is a four cylinder direct injection diesel with what I believe to be a mechanical injector pump.

Latest posts