Used machine hours

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BPS

I'm sure this is a very opinionated question, but how many hours is too many for a bobcat skid steer when looking to purchase a used machine?

140mower

How many hours are too many does depend on several things, but most importantly how well it has been maintained during those hours. Other things include how much use are you looking at using it over say a year, are you going to use it comercially or is it for residential use. Mine presently has about 3500 hrs on it and so far is giving me very few problems, but I think if I had bought it new it would likely be in better shape than it currently is.
What are your planned uses? That's probably the best place to start on how many hrs is too many. Hopefully a few others will will chime in here with their thoughts as well.
Don

OP
OP
B

BPS

How many hours are too many does depend on several things, but most importantly how well it has been maintained during those hours. Other things include how much use are you looking at using it over say a year, are you going to use it comercially or is it for residential use. Mine presently has about 3500 hrs on it and so far is giving me very few problems, but I think if I had bought it new it would likely be in better shape than it currently is.
What are your planned uses? That's probably the best place to start on how many hrs is too many. Hopefully a few others will will chime in here with their thoughts as well.
Don
Thanks for your response. I want to expand my business with a bobcat skidsteer or ctl. I don't anticipate doing much digging, but mostly want it for the wide array of attachments; stump grinder, snow removal equipment, breaker, pallet forks, grapple and some sort of truss boom or crane attachment...

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for your response. I want to expand my business with a bobcat skidsteer or ctl. I don't anticipate doing much digging, but mostly want it for the wide array of attachments; stump grinder, snow removal equipment, breaker, pallet forks, grapple and some sort of truss boom or crane attachment...
Also to consider is what that machne has done in the previous hours. A machine that moved a few feet every 5 minutes running a backhoe is going to have considerbly less wear then one that was hammered by a breaker or that did heavy digging and pushing excavting with its front bucket.
Ken

OP
OP
B

BPS

Also to consider is what that machne has done in the previous hours. A machine that moved a few feet every 5 minutes running a backhoe is going to have considerbly less wear then one that was hammered by a breaker or that did heavy digging and pushing excavting with its front bucket.
Ken
How bad is the use of a breaker on a machine?

140mower

How bad is the use of a breaker on a machine?
In my opinion a breaker exerts more wear on a machine than any other attachment that I can think of off hand. Each cycle loads and unloads the hydraulics as well as impacts the pins and bushings. However you factor that in by how much you charge hourly.
Don

Tazza

Staff member
In my opinion a breaker exerts more wear on a machine than any other attachment that I can think of off hand. Each cycle loads and unloads the hydraulics as well as impacts the pins and bushings. However you factor that in by how much you charge hourly.
Don
All valid points, you need to think about how much it will be used, if you buy new you have tax deductions too, its something you should look into. Generally the engines will do around 6,000 hours before they need changing over. The pumps and motors if cared for will more or less out last the machine.
Rock breakers i agree are the worst on a machine. The vibrations they send through the arms and aux hydraulic tube lines is amazing. I have heard of people that had a low nitrogen charge and it was beating the crap out of the tube lines causing them to crack. It would also cause cracks in the arms and frame. I don't think they are rough on the hydraulics as suck, its just the impact that travels through the machine that does the damage.

dlong

All valid points, you need to think about how much it will be used, if you buy new you have tax deductions too, its something you should look into. Generally the engines will do around 6,000 hours before they need changing over. The pumps and motors if cared for will more or less out last the machine.
Rock breakers i agree are the worst on a machine. The vibrations they send through the arms and aux hydraulic tube lines is amazing. I have heard of people that had a low nitrogen charge and it was beating the crap out of the tube lines causing them to crack. It would also cause cracks in the arms and frame. I don't think they are rough on the hydraulics as suck, its just the impact that travels through the machine that does the damage.
I had case 1845 c that had 6500 hrs on it,however i had spent about 2000.00 $on it at about 6000 hrs but if i were you i wuld buy the lowest hour machine that fits the budget.Good luck