Bobcat S250 front seal replacement lasting less than 100 hours

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tthams1

Greetings,

I was hoping to get some advice, and keep the repair bill low. I have a S250 with about 5900 hours on it. Within the last 2 years the front seals on the S250 have begun to leak. We did the repairs, but the leaks keep coming back. We have repaired both front sides twice now, and even recently did the seal savors with the new seals. Well, they have started leaking for a third time. We can't seem to make it 100 hours before the seals begin to leak again. We get the parts at our local Bobcat. They recommend bringing it into the shop. It was a $320 bill to calibrate a joystick that took 10 minutes, I would like to avoid bringing it in if possible. This S250 does a lot of turning with round bales in cattle yards.

My question is some of the oil getting past worn bearings? Are we filling it with the wrong oil type (universal trans hydraulic)? We can't seem to find any major problems to the axle shafts, but this is going to become a headache if we have to keep replacing both front seals every year.

Anyone have any advice on something similar? Thanks for any advice in advance.

brdgbldr

It could possibly be the fluid you are using. Not sure if you could check this somehow through the manufacturer of the fluid. Some fluids can soften or harden seal materials. A lot of oils have an additive in them to keep the seals from hardening. However, those additives work differently with the different seal materials.

The chain case is just a lubrication bath so any lubricant that won't damage the seals will work fine as long as it is the proper weight oil.

To save a buck I have used the old fluid from the hydraulic system to fill the chain case when doing maintenance, as long as it doesn't have water in it.

Firefighter

Is the chaincase being overfilled by chance ? by oil coming thru the motor carrier, because of a bad seal or drive motor
are the seal savors you mention the surface repair sleeve that they sell, also assuming the axle bearings are good with no
play. and nothing is being wrapped around the axle

OP
OP
T

tthams1

Is the chaincase being overfilled by chance ? by oil coming thru the motor carrier, because of a bad seal or drive motor
are the seal savors you mention the surface repair sleeve that they sell, also assuming the axle bearings are good with no
play. and nothing is being wrapped around the axle
Thanks for the reply. You are correct, the seal savor is that repair collar they sell that goes over the axle. I don't believe the chain case is being overfilled because we inspect it with the plug in the the front of the skid steer, and the fluid is right at the bottom of the plug.

The skid steer has had some brief moments where twin is wrapped around the front axles during transport of bales.

I though about draining the chain case and filling it with synthetic 10W-30 oil. I wonder if the hydraulic oil is getting thinner in weight when it warms up. It is currently the universal trans hydraulic they sell at our local Bomgaars. Other forums have mentioned doing that in the older S series skid steers. With everything so high priced, I was going to call Bobcat today and see what the cost if for the oil they recommend Bobcat Fluid (P/N 6563328) before I make that call.

Firefighter

i don't think different oil is going to change any thing, cheap hyd oil is fine, string wrapped around the axle is guaranteed
to take your seals out

Bremik

It could be the axle bearings went out at some point if you bought it used and got the axle housing out of round enough to cause problems with the seals.

Measuring the axle housing ID and axle shaft OD might give some answers

OP
OP
T

tthams1

Thanks for all the replies. I just don't want to keep doing this ever year. We have constantly used this skid steer at the farm with moving bales for the last 10 years and twine wrapped around the axles from time-to-time with no seals going out. I agree that twine will take the seals out, just wondering why it is happening at an accelerated rate recently. I will measuring the axle housing as a start.

JakeK

The other thing I would check is the vents on the chain case to make sure they're not plugged. As the oil heats, pressure builds and eventually leads to oil pushing past the seala and damaging them.

OP
OP
T

tthams1

The other thing I would check is the vents on the chain case to make sure they're not plugged. As the oil heats, pressure builds and eventually leads to oil pushing past the seala and damaging them.
That makes perfect sense, and easily over looked. Thanks for response.