Trying to determine if I have a blown head gasket or not

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Medic5443

I know that this topic has been covered numerous times, so be patient with me. I recently purchased a New Holland LS180 and discovered oil in the coolant. Skid Steer starts up and runs fine. No smoke and no water in the oil. This really doesn't sound like a HG to me, so I am looking for opinions and suggestions on possible other causes. I don't want to pull the head if I don't have to. Thoughts?

rjitreeman0909

There are water passages, pressurized oil passages and oil drain back passages plus the cylinders that the head gasket is sealing. Quite possible for a pressurized oil passage to a water jacket passage to have a leak path. Since oil pressure is higher than thermostat 14 or 15 psi, likely result is oil in water. DNK if there is a test procedure defined to aid in confirming but sounds like head needs to come off.

Tazza

Staff member
There are water passages, pressurized oil passages and oil drain back passages plus the cylinders that the head gasket is sealing. Quite possible for a pressurized oil passage to a water jacket passage to have a leak path. Since oil pressure is higher than thermostat 14 or 15 psi, likely result is oil in water. DNK if there is a test procedure defined to aid in confirming but sounds like head needs to come off.
It is possible, but it is also possible oil got in there when the engine was assembled, you never do know what previous owners have done.
Just how much oil are we talking, as is it black oil or just a sheen that is on the coolant?
rjitreeman0909 is totally correct in mentioning that there are multiple passages that carry higher pressure oil near the coolant jacket that could be getting past the seal.
Sadly i don't know if a test procedure for this either. You can always do a compression test to ensure the cylinders are pretty well the same.

farmshop

It is possible, but it is also possible oil got in there when the engine was assembled, you never do know what previous owners have done.
Just how much oil are we talking, as is it black oil or just a sheen that is on the coolant?
rjitreeman0909 is totally correct in mentioning that there are multiple passages that carry higher pressure oil near the coolant jacket that could be getting past the seal.
Sadly i don't know if a test procedure for this either. You can always do a compression test to ensure the cylinders are pretty well the same.
Oil cooler can also be a culprit. For starters I'd pressure test the cooling system. While oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure when running. With the engine off there would be no oil pressure